• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is suicide forbidden?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't have a "faith," but in my religion, suicide is considered a violation of ahimsa (non-violence) and has karmic consequence.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
As an atheist, I view suicide as preventable loss of life, so I believe we should strive to raise awareness of mental health issues, empower support networks and services (e.g., suicide hotlines) for suicidal individuals, and support accessible, free mental health care.

Whether or not a faith forbids suicide seems to me a moot point: in the vast majority of cases, someone who has reached the point of having severe suicidal ideation and acting on it needs support and treatment that has nothing to do with whether or not a religious rule forbids suicide.

It is a medical issue, not a religious one, much like how we know that the number of people suffering from diabetes or cancer and unable to get proper treatment for them wouldn't be reduced if a religious rule forbade having them.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
It is seen as a violation of Ahimsa (non-violence) as stated above. But, one must take into account the person's mental state, along with what situation they were in that led them to think suicide was the only way out. It has the potential to bring you down to lower states of consciousness after death, but not forever.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I hsve no faith and i see suicide as a useful tool to be considered or used with the utmost caution and consideration

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Is suicide forbidden your faith?

It's not forbidden but what happens is explained. Suicide: Avatar Meher Baba Anthology

Ordinary suicide cuts short the plan of the life artificially. The person who commits suicide from this motivation causes suffering for himself and perhaps others.

Some suicides can be considered as praiseworthy if it's motivated by the positive aspiration to help others rather than for selfish reasons.