• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Suicide A Sin?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Is suicide a sin?
Well, is it?
If it is, what's your evidence?
NO, to commit an action to die sooner (suicide), is not a sin.

You want evidence?
We all know that drinking a lot of alcohol causes you to die sooner.
The same with lots of smoking, eating too much fat or sugar (or too much of almost anything)

People who overdo on anything harmful commit "suicide"

All people do this, some on a more regular basis than others
So all commit suicide (doing actions to die sooner)

IF suicide is a sin THEN all humans commit the "sin of suicide"

And then there is no need to single out the "normal suicide" specifically as being a "sin"

Skwim

Veteran Member
I don't know if it's a sin or not, but I remember hearing somewhere that suicide is technically against the law.
"Historically, various states listed the act of suicide as a felony, but these policies were sparsely enforced. In the late 1960s, 18 U.S. states had no laws against suicide. By the late 1980s, 30 of the 50 states had no laws against suicide or suicide attempts, but every state had laws declaring it to be a felony to aid, advise, or encourage another person to commit suicide. By the early 1990s only two states still listed suicide as a crime, and these have since removed that classification."
Source: Wikipedia

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"Historically, various states listed the act of suicide as a felony, but these policies were sparsely enforced. In the late 1960s, 18 U.S. states had no laws against suicide. By the late 1980s, 30 of the 50 states had no laws against suicide or suicide attempts, but every state had laws declaring it to be a felony to aid, advise, or encourage another person to commit suicide. By the early 1990s only two states still listed suicide as a crime, and these have since removed that classification."
Source: Wikipedia

Thanks for the info. It makes sense that they would remove such laws from the books. After all, what kind of penalty could they impose upon someone who just committed suicide? I'm not even sure why someone thought it was a sensible idea to even make such laws in the first place.

sealchan

Well, is it?

Suicide is a final act of desperation which might arise from a deep, lasting depression or suffering. To determine if suicide is immoral (a sin) one would have to know the context of choice in the matter for the individual.

Of course we have the famous example of Jesus' willingness to die on the cross when he could have saved himself.

sealchan

Sure it does. Sin is the transgression of God's law *1 John 3:4. The 6th commandment is that we should not kill or murder. Exodus 20:13.

Miriam webster dictionary

self-murdernoun
self-mur·der | \ ˌself-ˈmər-dər \
Definition of self-murder
SELF-DESTRUCTION, SUICIDE
Synonyms for self-murder
Synonyms self-destruction, self-slaughter, suicide

Self murder is suicide therefore sin.

Nope God is not the God of the dead but of the living. You must find God's forgiveness before death not after death.

Sure it does. 1 CORINTHIANS 3:16-17 [16], Know you not that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?[17], If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

We are given life by the creator and have no right to take it. The scripture shown above shows that we are God's temple or mean't to be the dwelling place of God. So as the scripture teaches above If any man "DEFILES" (Greek is destoys) his body him will God destroy in the after life.

This is only your opinion without evidence. The question of the OP was "Is Suicide sin?" You have been provided evidence from the God's Word showing that suicide is sin and an unforgivable sin at that.

What about Jesus' suicide?

sealchan

I read everything that you said and have shown you why I disagree with your opinions from Gods' Word alone. Your response is to simply provide your own opinion which is not God's but yours and have provided no evidence for what you say. To me only God's Word is true and we should beleive and follow it over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God *Matthew 15:3-9; Romans 3:4; Acts 5:29.

You are one of those who think they can quote the Bible and have their words also be the voice of God. In this one has committed a sin as described by Exodus 20:7:
“You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

To further develop this Jesus said in Matthew 5:33-37:
“Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

So beware of saying "To me only God's Word is true" and then claim that what you have said is God's Word also.

Do not misuse the name of the Lord. How your words are expressed may or may not serve the will of God, that is for Him to decide. And whether you hear God's will in the words of others is also for God to decide. We simply get to find out which is which when we finally meet Him. IMO

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
What about Jesus' suicide?

If somebody were to promptly come back to life, then there'd be no suicide. I'd consider Jesus Christ as being an extraordinary Jewish rabbi who didn't deserve to be rendered briefly unconscious by crucifixion.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

Well, is it?

Suicide could in some circumstances be considered harmful if the killing of oneself were to cause psychological trauma of those who'd miss the dearly departed person who'd taken his/her own life.

Sadly, there are many lonely elderly people who've outlived their family, friends, interests or other connections with this life. For them, I hope their suicide is painless and their euthanasia doesn't leave behind too bloody a mess for somebody else to clean.

If I were to outlive my family and had nobody who'd watch over me being cryogenically frozen to possibly be reanimated to life by future scientists, then I shall painlessly take down my own self in order to hopefully finally meet my maker.

Last edited:

sealchan

If somebody were to promptly come back to life, then there'd be no suicide. I'd consider Jesus Christ as being an extraordinary Jewish rabbi who didn't deserve to be rendered briefly unconscious by crucifixion.

You'd think that roughing him up while he was taken off the cross and laid in a tomb might have stirred him...

I also like to think that his death wasn't just a publicity stunt and that since God knew all along that Jesus wasn't really going to die that it was no big deal in the first place wasn't true.

Plot holes abound I suppose...