• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Suicide A Sin?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
According to God's Word JESUS says those who follow man made teachings and traditions that break the commandments of God are not following God *Matthew 15:3-9. We are only saved by grace through faith in Gods' Word and not of ourselves it is a gift of God and not of works lest any man should boast *Ephesians 2:8-9. We do not have faith without God's Word neither can we be saved without it as faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God *Romans 10:17. If you deny God's Word you deny your only means of salvation from which our very faith comes from. Following man made teachings and traditions break the commandments of God will only keep all who do so out of God's kingdom *Matthew 7:22-26.
Blah, blah, blah. I'm not interested in your tired spiel. It's all been heard before. You apparently aren't even reading what I said. This is why American Christianity is a farce.

3rdAngel

Blah, blah, blah. I'm not interested in your tired spiel. It's all been heard before. You apparently aren't even reading what I said. This is why American Christianity is a farce.
I read everything that you said and have shown you why I disagree with your opinions from Gods' Word alone. Your response is to simply provide your own opinion which is not God's but yours and have provided no evidence for what you say. To me only God's Word is true and we should beleive and follow it over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God *Matthew 15:3-9; Romans 3:4; Acts 5:29.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I read everything that you said and have shown you why I disagree with your opinions from Gods' Word alone. Your response is to simply provide your own opinion which is not God's but yours and have provided no evidence for what you say. To me only God's Word is true and we should beleive and follow it over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God *Matthew 15:3-9; Romans 3:4; Acts 5:29.
So you've basically thrown out the Holy Spirit and replaced God with words on a page. I guess the vast majority of Christians throughout history who were totally illiterate and couldn't quote a single verse were just fake Christians in your mind, too. Okay...o_O

3rdAngel

So you've basically thrown out the Holy Spirit and replaced God with words on a page. I guess the vast majority of Christians throughout history who were totally illiterate and couldn't quote a single verse were just fake Christians in your mind, too. Okay...o_O

According to God's Word (not mine) the Holy Spirit is the spirit of the Word *John 6:63. If there is no word there is no Spirit and no faith as faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God *Romans 10:17

Skwim

Veteran Member
Nope! Exodus 20:13 is in reference to our duty of love to mankind.
Reconstruct it all you want, but it still doesn't say that suicide is a sin. Does it?

Defile in the Greek means to destroy.
It also means to corrupt.

In any case I don't give a fink what you may think it means in Greek It still doesn't say suicide is a sin. Does it.

Moreover, we're looking at the English meaning of "defile" because that's the language my Bible is written in. If the translators felt their source word meant "destroy" then that's the word they would have used, not "defile." The two words aren't that alike to function as synonyms.

If we destroy ourselves (commit suicide) God will destroy us in the life to come.
And If we only corrupt ourselves (we don't commit suicide) the verse is moot by default.

The OP asked for evidence and asked the question is suicide sin? You have been given it.
Attempts at providing evidence, yes, but actual, successful evidence, No.

Why ask a question if you have a pre-conceived opinion you cannot support from the scriptures (no evidence) when asking for evidence from the scriptures?
Why assume I have a preconceived opinion when I've given you no reason to? Truth is, I've heard it claimed both ways, and never having read that suicide is a sin and wondered why some people claim it is; Is there some verse(s) that said it was? As It's turned out, so far all I've read are a lot of lame apologetics...........No evidence that god considers committing suicide to be a sin. But maybe some smart gal or fella will come around and do just that.

Sin is only defined from the scriptures in God's Word and suicide as shown through the scriptures is sin and an unpardonable one at that.
Well, if it is you've certainly failed to show it.

Last edited:

3rdAngel

Thanks everyone for the discussion. I see this as gone as far as it has gone without talking aroung in circles. I am out of this one for now :)

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
According to God's Word (not mine) the Holy Spirit is the spirit of the Word *John 6:63. If there is no word there is no Spirit and no faith as faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God *Romans 10:17
You're still ignoring that the vast majority of Christians were illiterate and only heard the Bible while at church. That's why they had to create such detailed art in churches to illustrate Bible stories and doctrines important to Salvation. Most Christians who have ever lived never owned a Bible, let alone read one.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
People don't commit suicide lightly. It is almost always as a result of unimaginable pain, physical or psychological. A god which puts quantity of life above quality of life is not a god I would call loving. I think you need to twist the scripture pretty hard to interpret suicide as a sin at all, let alone an unforgivable, damnable act.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It depends on one's motive. Suicide can be an act of political protest, offering one's life for a universal goal. Or it can be because for egoistical reasons.

I of course have no physical evidence, but the belief I have is that someone who commits suicide for personal reasons will come back and face the same psychological turmoil that was avoided until the person overcomes that particular issue.

So it's not a "sin" but will result in another opportunity to learn a lesson.

This is how I view it as well. We reincarnate at the same spot, so ultimately suicide is useless. It's certainly not a sin, in my view, but a consequence of hard times or mental illness. I suspect that many folks haven't been really close to someone, and just have hardened hearts to the degree that compassion for them isn't easy. So they go off on the sin bit.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Well we should avoid helping people commit suicide.
Why?

If someone suffering horribly with what is undoubtedly a terminal illness, and if they sincerely wished to die with a little dignity (and a lot less pain), why would you deny them the help of a physician who could help them do that?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Why?

If someone suffering horribly with what is undoubtedly a terminal illness, and if they sincerely wished to die with a little dignity (and a lot less pain), why would you deny them the help of a physician who could help them do that?
Usually people think of people killing themselves due to despair when suicide is brought up, not euthanasia.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Usually people think of people killing themselves due to despair when suicide is brought up, not euthanasia.
But that turns out not to be the case, really. There are countries that now permit physician-assisted euthanasia, including my own country Canada, and these are numbering in the thousands.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
But that turns out not to be the case, really. There are countries that now permit physician-assisted euthanasia, including my own country Canada, and these are numbering in the thousands.
Yeah, but I'm talking about what comes to mind when you mention the word "suicide". It's not terminally ill people.