• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is suffering necessary for survival?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
As a buddhist i see human life as suffering,
Humans clinging to feelings, greed, anger, sadness, jealosy, like, dislike, and so on, this leading to suffering. 99% of humans live in past or future but not inpresent moment.

to end suffering we must let go of the attachments to human life and live only in the moment, seeing life as it trully are.
and truly is.....would be something other than the eternal darkness of a box in the ground?

easy to say..... let go

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It has not been easy, but it is fully possible to do.
The box in the gound is only for the body
ok..we agree to the last line

but for now.....we have our hands
and we need to get a grip on the situation dealt to us

I will let go.....when my hands won't hang on

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
ok..we agree to the last line

but for now.....we have our hands
and we need to get a grip on the situation dealt to us

I will let go.....when my hands won't hang on

Live in the present moment and not in past or future that is the clue to letting go :) One should not give up life in it self, but all the ttachments to it.

ajay0

Nietzsche felt that suffering was necessary. ''To live is to suffer, to live is to find some meaning in the suffering.''
is a famous quote of his.

Jesus died on the cross, and from a Christian perspective, followers of Christ could find redemption in the suffering. Sharing in his suffering, even.

None of us like to suffer, but maybe Nietzsche is correct, if there will be suffering that comes our way, maybe we should find a way to understand its meaning in our lives.

Do you believe that suffering is necessary for survival to reach a peaceful life? Do you feel that suffering gives life meaning, or do you feel that's something we just tell ourselves to make sense of it?

Purpose of suffering is to connect you to your Self (Awareness). It indicates that you got carried away by all the transient things around you.
- Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

As per eastern philosophy, one's true nature is the Self or awareness, and forgetfulness of the Self leads to suffering. This forgetfulness is caused by emotional interest in sensory objects externally or objects in the imagination, due to the pleasure or pain it causes. Thought associated with psychological memories of pleasure and pain results in desire in the form of cravings and aversions, which is considered as the cause of suffering.

It is like watching a gripping or thrilling movie. For a time being, you may forget that it is just a fictional movie and cry or scream in fear. Some even have suffered heart attacks in the movie theatre.

By being mindful or self-aware at all times, we can prevent ourselves from being drowned in sensory stimuli and the emotional reactions they prompt, and instead act more intelligently due to unaffected self-composure.

All crimes, conflict and wars are a result of cravings or aversions out of control.

Emotion is a beautiful aspect of human life, without which a human being would become ugly. But as with anything, if emotion becomes unbridled, it becomes madness. If your thought becomes uncontrolled, it will become madness. If your emotion becomes uncontrolled, that too becomes insanity. - Jaggi Vasudev

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Nietzsche felt that suffering was necessary. ''To live is to suffer, to live is to find some meaning in the suffering.''

Jesus died on the cross, and from a Christian perspective, followers of Christ could find redemption in the suffering. Sharing in his suffering, even.

None of us like to suffer, but maybe Nietzsche is correct, if there will be suffering that comes our way, maybe we should find a way to understand its meaning in our lives.

Do you believe that suffering is necessary for survival to reach a peaceful life? Do you feel that suffering gives life meaning, or do you feel that's something we just tell ourselves to make sense of it?

Suffering is a state of mind. You either allow yourself to suffer, or you don't. Nothing is permanent and everything is always marching forward.

Meaning in life is derived from find contentedness, and placing the suffering of others above your own.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

I think suffering is an inescapable consequence of the condition of living.
And yes, I think it has a big role in survival mechanisms.

A simplistic example is physical pain. Pain is necessary for survival. It informs us of danger.
I don't consider psychological pain to be much different.

I'ld also say that suffering is a fact of life, a certainty.
Everybody suffers at some point. Well-being is actually optional.

You can be sick and suffer your entire life without a moment of sufferless rest, but the reverse will not happen.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Yes, you cannot suffer from a meaningless existence. The downside is there is no meaning or fulfillment. Life then becomes a drag .

How do you define "suffering"?
Because what you just said strikes me as really odd.

If a nihilist gets a cancer and lives months in agony and pain, does that person then not suffer during those months?

Michelle71

Nietzsche, when saying "To live is to suffer..." did not mean that suffering was necessary, in my opinion. Instead, I think what is meant is that if you are alive you will experience suffering.

Next, it is not the suffering of Jesus that redeems us, It is the belief in who he is and the promise that was made - his blood for our sins.

Unguru

I am a Sikh nice to meet you
Suffering is what we should NOT do. When we suffer, then something is WRONG.

And when we don't learn from our suffering or try to help those who we are aware of that are suffering, also.

syo

And when we don't learn from our suffering or try to help those who we are aware of that are suffering, also.
yes. we have to see billions of people as a huge family and try to all coexist in peace.

Dionysus

┏(°.°)┛┗(°.°)┓┗(°.°)┛┏(°.°)┓
The four noble truths of Buddhism are all focused on suffering as it relates to attachment to desires (passions):
  1. Suffering, pain, and misery exist in life
  2. Suffering arises from attachment to desires
  3. Suffering ceases when attachment to desire ceases
  4. Freedom from suffering is possible by practicing the Eightfold Path
    1. Right view
    2. Right intention
    3. Right speech
    4. Right action
    5. Right livelihood
    6. Right effort
    7. Right mindfulness
    8. Right concentration
Have you ever found more passionate people to be more angry and unhappy?

Another nihilist who suffers here, btw. Meaninglessness adds to the suffering.