• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Is "sikh" a common noun and "Sikh" a term, please?

"The word Sikh* literally means 'a learner', or 'a student', and is derived from the Sanskrit word shishya. In the Punjabi language the word Sikh* also means to learn.

A Sikh is a follower of the religion called Sikhi, or, Sikhism, the fifth largest organised religion in the world."
Sikh - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.

"The Sikh faith was founded when Guru Nanak, coming out of the river, told people, “Na Koi Hindu, Na Musalman.” He implied that God does not judge people as Hindus or Muslims or anyone else. Before Him, we all are simple human beings and equal. The people, Hindu or Muslim, high caste or low caste, who accepted his preaching and lived accordingly were called Nanak’s “sikhs” (note the letter “s” is not capitalized). The word “sikh” is a common noun and it means a disciple, a follower. Nanak, having revealed a new philosophy, became popular as Guru. The perception of the word Sikh, a member of a new community, which exists today, had not developed then."
Chapter 3 - Sikh Faith
Inputs of anybody or everybody of religion or no-religion are welcome,please

Regards
*I understand, that the natural word "sikh" has been incorrectly captilalised by the website SikhiWiki.org in the first paragraph. In the second paragraph it is used as a term so it is correct to write "Sikh".The first paragraph, I request the site, to correct please.

Last edited:

February-Saturday

Devil Worshiper
This is pretty common when it comes to religions. Shinto, from shendao or 神道, just means "way of the spirits." Daoism itself is just from "the way." Gnosticism was a retronym for an eclectic group of beliefs centered around mystical knowledge. Satan is from the Hebrew שָׂטָן‎ where it's a common noun that means "adversary."

If you're speaking or writing English, however, I'd assume you wouldn't use शिक्षा in common speech. That's because "sikh" isn't a common noun in English, we only have "Sikh" which refers to an adherent of the Sikh faith.

In this same vein, I usually refer to "satanielim," "sathanae," "satans," or "shayateen" as devils since that's the English word for them. Which inspires me to make a post elsewhere.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Neither Nanak nor Buddha said anything new. They re-emphasized what was already current in Hinduism in Vedas and Upanishads. If they developed into the fourth and fifth largest religions of the world, I am happy about that. Guru Nanak included the hymns of 13 Hindu bhagats in Sri Guru Granth Sahib. New religions come up in Hinduism in a friendly atmosphere, not in a cut-throat atmosphere as in Abrahamic religions.

Remember that Buddha talks about six philosophies current in his area at that time in Samannaphala Sutta. Purana Kassapa, Makkhali Gosala, Ajita Kesakambali, Pakudha Kaccayana, Nigantha Nataputta and Sanjay Belathiputta. Also remember that India is much larger than his region (so, there must have been many more philosophies).

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Neither Nanak nor Buddha said anything new. They re-emphasized what was already current in Hinduism in Vedas and Upanishads. If they developed into the fourth and fifth largest religions of the world, I am happy about that. Guru Nanak included the hymns of 13 Hindu bhagats in Sri Guru Granth Sahib. New religions come up in Hinduism in a friendly atmosphere, not in a cut-throat atmosphere as in Abrahamic religions.

Remember that Buddha talks about six philosophies current in his area at that time in Samannaphala Sutta. Purana Kassapa, Makkhali Gosala, Ajita Kesakambali, Pakudha Kaccayana, Nigantha Nataputta and Sanjay Belathiputta. Also remember that India is much larger than his region (so, there must have been many more philosophies).
Please substantiate one's expressions about Hinduism from Nanak's hymns in the Granth. Right, please?

Regards

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
List of 13 Bhagats (Kabir and Sheikh Farid not included since they were not Hindus):
Bhagat Ravidas ji, Bhagat Ramanand ji, Bhagat Beni ji, Bhagat Namdev ji, Bhagat Sadhana ji, Bhagat Bhikhan ji, Bhagat Parmanand ji, Bhagat Sain ji, Bhagat Dhanna ji, Bhagat Pipa ji, Bhagat Surdas ji, Bhagat Jaidev ji,Bhagat Trilochan ji

List of Bhatts (
Many Hindu Saraswat Brahmins who started to follow the word of Guru Nanak Dev were known as Bhatts. There are 11 Bhatts whose banis are included in Guru Granth Sahib):
Bhatt Kalshar, Bhatt Balh, Bhatt Bhalh, Bhatt Bhika, Bhatt Gayand, Bhatt Harbans, Bhatt Jalap, Bhatt Kirat, Bhatt Mathura, Bhatt Nalh, Bhatt Salh

>> Writers of Guru Granth Sahib - Wikipedia

Now kindly do your research yourself or otherwise do not ask questions. I am not here to feed you information all the time.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
List of 13 Bhagats (Kabir and Sheikh Farid not included since they were not Hindus):
Bhagat Ravidas ji, Bhagat Ramanand ji, Bhagat Beni ji, Bhagat Namdev ji, Bhagat Sadhana ji, Bhagat Bhikhan ji, Bhagat Parmanand ji, Bhagat Sain ji, Bhagat Dhanna ji, Bhagat Pipa ji, Bhagat Surdas ji, Bhagat Jaidev ji,Bhagat Trilochan ji

List of Bhatts (
Many Hindu Saraswat Brahmins who started to follow the word of Guru Nanak Dev were known as Bhatts. There are 11 Bhatts whose banis are included in Guru Granth Sahib):
Bhatt Kalshar, Bhatt Balh, Bhatt Bhalh, Bhatt Bhika, Bhatt Gayand, Bhatt Harbans, Bhatt Jalap, Bhatt Kirat, Bhatt Mathura, Bhatt Nalh, Bhatt Salh

>> Writers of Guru Granth Sahib - Wikipedia

Now kindly do your research yourself or otherwise do not ask questions. I am not here to feed you information all the time.
One didn't quote from Nanak's hymns. Please quote from him. Or please say that Nanak is not with one. Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

"The word sikh
goes back to Sanskrit sisya, meaning a learner or disciple. In Pali, sisya became sissa. The Pali word sekha (also sekkha) means a pupil or one under training in a religious doctrine (sikkha, siksa). The Punjabi form of the word was sikh."
SIKH

"The term Sikh in the Punjab and elsewhere came to be used for the disciples of Guru Nanak (1469-1539) and his nine spiritual successors."
SIKH

Since no Sikh (the term) existed while Nanak was alive and he had proclaimed no new religion so the translation of his hymns where he used the word "sikh" as "Sikh" is incorrect. It should be translated as "a seeker" or as "a learner" or the like. I humbly appeal to the sites who exhibit the wrong translation of the word "sikh" in Granth in Nank's hymns to make correction in the translation of , as it is as I understand a disrespect to Nanak to translate his hymns that doesn't convey the sense he wanted to convey, please. Right, please?

Regards

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
One didn't quote from Nanak's hymns. Please quote from him. Or please say that Nanak is not with one.
All hymns of Guru Granth Sahib were not composed by Guru Nanak. There are hymns of Hindu Bhagats and Bhatts, just as there are hymn by Kabir (very substantial, i.e. 541 out of a total of 5894 hymns, 9.2%) and 134 from Sheikh Farīd al-Dīn Masʿūd Ganj-i-Shakar. Guru Nanak and the later Sikh gurus did not differentiate between Hindus and Muslims. Guru Granth Sahib was compiled during the time of the fifth guru, Guru Arjan Dev. He was the first Guru born in a sikh family. How could Guru Nanak know as to which all hymns will be included in it.
Since no Sikh (the term) existed while Nanak was alive and he had proclaimed no new religion so the translation of his hymns where he used the word "sikh" as "Sikh" is incorrect. It should be translated as "a seeker" or as "a learner" or the like. I humbly appeal to the sites who exhibit the wrong translation of the word "sikh" in Granth in Nank's hymns to make correction in the translation of , as it is as I understand a disrespect to Nanak to translate his hymns that doesn't convey the sense he wanted to convey, please.
Sure, Guru Nanak did not proclaim a new religion, but Sikhs were there - his disciples (Shishyas). A disciple / Shishya or Sikh also is a learner.
IMHO, you should write to Akal Takht at Harminder Sahib in Amritsar (Golden Temple). They are the authority in Sikhism, and request such as yours will be considered by them. :)

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
All hymns of Guru Granth Sahib were not composed by Guru Nanak. There are hymns of Hindu Bhagats and Bhatts, just as there are hymn by Kabir (very substantial, i.e. 541 out of a total of 5894 hymns, 9.2%) and 134 from Sheikh Farīd al-Dīn Masʿūd Ganj-i-Shakar. Guru Nanak and the later Sikh gurus did not differentiate between Hindus and Muslims. Guru Granth Sahib was compiled during the time of the fifth guru, Guru Arjan Dev. He was the first Guru born in a sikh family. How could Guru Nanak know as to which all hymns will be included in it.
Sure, Guru Nanak did not proclaim a new religion, but Sikhs were there - his disciples (Shishyas). A disciple / Shishya or Sikh also is a learner.
IMHO, you should write to Akal Takht at Harminder Sahib in Amritsar (Golden Temple). They are the authority in Sikhism, and request such as yours will be considered by them. :)
Please name the "seeker/s of G-d"(sikh) whom Nanak mentioned by name/s in his hymns in the Granth, please. Right, please?

Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
As I said, "Do your own research". You have a copy of Sri Guru Granth Sahib. I have given you two links. More info on Google. Why ask me?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"you should write to Akal Takht at Harminder Sahib in Amritsar (Golden Temple). They are the authority in Sikhism, and request such as yours will be considered by them."

Thanks for one's advice.
I understand that Nanak is the authority, and none else. Even they should benefit from Nanak's hymns in the Granth and get themselves corrected by it. Right, please?

Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I understand that Nanak is the authority, and none else. Even they should benefit from Nanak's hymns in the Granth and get themselves corrected by it.
They are the temporal authority for Sikhs. Write to them. Writing in a forum does not mean much.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
They are the temporal authority for Sikhs. Write to them. Writing in a forum does not mean much.
The temporal or ritual authority, I understand, have to do nothing with Nanak who only believed in the essence or the spiritual. Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
This is pretty common when it comes to religions. Shinto, from shendao or 神道, just means "way of the spirits." Daoism itself is just from "the way." Gnosticism was a retronym for an eclectic group of beliefs centered around mystical knowledge. Satan is from the Hebrew שָׂטָן‎ where it's a common noun that means "adversary."

If you're speaking or writing English, however, I'd assume you wouldn't use शिक्षा in common speech. That's because "sikh" isn't a common noun in English, we only have "Sikh" which refers to an adherent of the Sikh faith.

In this same vein, I usually refer to "satanielim," "sathanae," "satans," or "shayateen" as devils since that's the English word for them. Which inspires me to make a post elsewhere.

I don't agree with one.
The common natural noun "sikh" could be translated by the other common words like "seeker" as other translators have done correctly and sincerely. Right, please?
One may like to read my post #3 in another thread in this connection please.

Regards

Last edited:

February-Saturday

Devil Worshiper
I don't agree with one.
The common natural noun "sikh" could be translated by the other common words like "seeker" as other translators have done correctly and sincerely. Right, please?
One may like to read my post #3 in another thread in this connection please.

Regards

If you translate it, then it's not "sikh" anymore.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
If you translate it, then it's not "sikh" anymore.
I don't agree with one, here.
Other translators both from Sikhism people and English people had also translated it, I understand, otherwise. So,it can be translated as a natural common noun easily.Right, please?
The natural word "sikh" has been used by Nanak in his hymns in the Granth at pages "3, 412, 503, 648(3 times), 940, 1032,
1170 (two times)". Right, please?
Please quote from the earliest Englishmen translators of Granth, namely, Ernest Trump and Max Arthur Macauliffe where they have expressed their inability that it cannot be translated otherwise in English. Please give their translations of these above mentioned pages with links to support one's point. Right, please?
Anybody, please

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The temporal or ritual authority, I understand, have to do nothing with Nanak who only believed in the essence or the spiritual. Right, please?
I have to add:
Nanak was a courageous man, he was, I understand, against the empty/phony rituals of of the Hinduism Religions. Right, please?
Nanak's travel was from the ritual to the essence, and when he found it out, I understand, Nanak submitted to it and he did not care if his followers from Hinduism Religions follow him in this connections or not.
Right, please?

Regards

GURSIKH

chardi kla
I have to add:

Nanak was a courageous man, he was, I understand, against the empty/phony rituals of of the Hinduism Religions. Right, please?
Nanak's travel was from the ritual to the essence, and when he found it out, I understand, Nanak submitted to it and he did not care if his followers from Hinduism Religions follow him in this connections or not.
Right, please?

Regards
:thumbsup: