• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is sexuality a choice?

Dan Mellis

Thorsredballs
I'm sure you have a point... but I'm missing it.

It isn't too hard.

Lots of things can be harmful, but you don't rail against them in the same way you do against homosexual sex.

I have a sneaking suspicion your stance on this is slightly dishonest. It seems that you're not concerned about potential harmful effects, otherwise you'd be out advocating the banning of alcohol and proper sex education. Instead, you have an issue with homosexuality and/or homosexual acts when, in fact, these are not in any way harmful in and of themselves. This has been explained to you multiple times my multiple people.

Maybe go and do some thinking about this. Are you against it because you think it's harmful, or is it your religious beliefs that you're trying to justify? If it's the latter, the only justification you have is the bible which is fairly weak on its own (hence, the appeal of faulty logic to bolster your views)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I have a sneaking suspicion your stance on this is slightly dishonest. It seems that you're not concerned about potential harmful effects, otherwise you'd be out advocating the banning of alcohol and proper sex education. Instead, you have an issue with homosexuality and/or homosexual acts when, in fact, these are not in any way harmful in and of themselves. This has been explained to you multiple times my multiple people.

Not really. I have never started a thread against homosexuality or alcohol. Don't remember any about sex education either started by me... but might have on this one.

To me, its obvious that either God doesn't exist or he's a raging hateful buffoon... Imagine Hitler, but with an IQ of about 31.

:D I was your opening insult that begged a response :D

And there is enough scientific reports out there to validate my position. :D

Lots of things can be harmful, but you don't rail against them in the same way you do against homosexual sex.

Please note that I haven't "railed" against homosexual sin. If anything I have said "we ALL sin". If anything people like you and those for homosexuality start threads on sex and same sex.

It's almost like your conscience is bothering you? :D

Basically, all I do is just defend attacks against the Christian faith - like your opening volley

Maybe go and do some thinking about this. Are you against it because you think it's harmful, or is it your religious beliefs that you're trying to justify? If it's the latter, the only justification you have is the bible which is fairly weak on its own (hence, the appeal of faulty logic to bolster your views)

Purely an opinion. :D

Dan Mellis

Thorsredballs
Not really. I have never started a thread against homosexuality or alcohol. Don't remember any about sex education either started by me... but might have on this one.

:D I was your opening insult that begged a response :D

And there is enough scientific reports out there to validate my position. :D

Please note that I haven't "railed" against homosexual sin. If anything I have said "we ALL sin". If anything people like you and those for homosexuality start threads on sex and same sex.

It's almost like your conscience is bothering you? :D

Basically, all I do is just defend attacks against the Christian faith - like your opening volley

Purely an opinion. :D

So, my conscience is clean. This thread and ones like it are posted in defense of sexuality; your replies have not been a defense of Christianity but an attack against homosexuals who don't engage in celibacy. The studies you've quoted may be correct, but your application is dishonest (or at least illogical).

The Bible is weak on its own merit. That is established fact. Sentimental value adds nothing to the debate, and if you viewed it objectively, the bible is an astoundingly poor source.

Just to reiterate - if all you were doing is defending the faith you'd only take issue with the opening volley. The fact of the matter is, you took issue with homosexual sex and tried (and failed) to prove it was harmful.

Being stopped from persecuting others is not persecution of your faith - this has always been my biggest bugbear with religions.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
So, my conscience is clean. This thread and ones like it are posted in defense of sexuality; your replies have not been a defense of Christianity but an attack against homosexuals who don't engage in celibacy. The studies you've quoted may be correct, but your application is dishonest (or at least illogical).

My reply specifically was about medical reports on results of homosexuality as you said "there is no harm". Your statement above is fake news. Show me one statement where I wasn't talking about medical results and speaking against homosexuals who don't engage in celibacy.

If you can't find it, you are a fake news promoter and should ask forgiveness. If you do find it, I will repent and I will ask forgiveness.

The Bible is weak on its own merit. That is established fact. Sentimental value adds nothing to the debate, and if you viewed it objectively, the bible is an astoundingly poor source.

Opinionated dribble. :)

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Regarding your second point: have you ever been in a situation where your criticism of something has caused a person to think of committing suicide?
Criticism typically doesn't get to people that much. If it did, it may not have been criticism.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In which case, your mouth is designed from drinking, breathing and eating. I sincerely hope you don't give or receive oral, because that would be unreasonable.
Might as well just throw it out there: The mouth too is an erogenous zone. If it wasn't meant to be a part of our sexual thrills, we probably wouldn't use it for that, probably not even for kissing.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Criticism typically doesn't get to people that much. If it did, it may not have been criticism.

Not alone it doesn't. But:

Facts About Suicide – The Trevor Project

If societies views of homosexuals is already causing problems with suicide amongst the community then I don't want to contribute to it.

I know someone who suffers from suicidal tendencies and the main thing given her hope to keep going on is her religion. I criticised her religion, pointing out how it was wrong and when she started doubting because of my criticism she started thinking of dark things. Therefore, I am very wary of approaching those with suicidal tendencies. If someone is suicidal then an accumulation of criticism can possibly set them off.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I believe I chose to be male and the normal sexuality that goes with it.

I could chose to be gay but I would not break God's law so I wouldn't do that anymore than I would have sex with my daughter.

You mean like Adam and Eve, their kids, Noah and such?

Ciao

- viole

Dan Mellis

Thorsredballs
My reply specifically was about medical reports on results of homosexuality as you said "there is no harm". Your statement above is fake news. Show me one statement where I wasn't talking about medical results and speaking against homosexuals who don't engage in celibacy.

If you can't find it, you are a fake news promoter and should ask forgiveness. If you do find it, I will repent and I will ask forgiveness.

Opinionated dribble. :)

I don't disagree you posted medical statistics. Just because you can find numbers, doesn't mean you've applied them correctly. In fact, by using those figures without context or logic, you've used them dishonestly (probably not intentionally, but still). Furthermore, your refusal to engage with logic and reasonable criticism of your application of those statistics is indicative of your bias.

I'm happy to agree to disagree on the bible point. You weren't using it directly, so it isn't all that relevant. If you were to bring it up as evidence though, that would be my stance (and I could defend it til judgement day, if you'll pardon the pun)

... One of the uses of said body parts is to give and receive pleasure. ..

People can get pleasure from bad things, that is why I think possible pleasure is not a good argument for anything. Or what do you say, if someone gets pleasure in killing other people, is it then ok and reasonable?

Milton Platt

I'm interested to hear the views of those who think sexuality is a choice - specifically in response to these questions...

1: did you choose to be heterosexual?

2: could you choose to be homosexual? Remember, just choosing to have gay sex doesn't make you gay. You have to be attracted to the same sex. That's kind of how it works.

If you answered no to either of these, then sexuality isn't a choice. If sexuality isn't a choice, then in what world can anyone be justified in sending gay people to hell?

Another part of this topic is the whole HIV/Aids thing as a punishment. Why would an all powerful god create a pubishment for a specific group of people, that also harmed people outside of that group? Also, why would he bother? Surely he could just send em to hell when they're done, what difference does it make?

To me, its obvious that either God doesn't exist or he's a raging hateful buffoon... Imagine Hitler, but with an IQ of about 31.

It's fun to ask heterosexuals when they decided to be that way. LOL

Muffled

Jesus in me
Do men turn you on, do you get aroused by men? Two possibilities, neither having anything to do with God:
  1. No. Then you cannot choose to be gay. Gay means being attracted to and aroused by the same sex. Gay is not a sex act. There are many people, men and women, who are celibate for one reason or another, but still attracted to the same sex. They don't have sex by choice but they are still gay.
  2. Yes. You are homosexual but in denial, as many of us were. Gay men and women can still have sex with the opposite sex. It may be mechanical and requiring a lot of stimulation and fantasizing of the same sex, but it's possible. As the saying goes "a stiff [----] has no conscience".

I believe it is correct that I can't choose to be gay because I have a correct attractable mindset. The organ doesn't care. It is the mind that decides how to satisfy the organ.

Muffled

Jesus in me
As you know i follow Buddhism and have a general interest in all other religions, so my stance on this topic come from many years as religious. But i want to say it is not wrong to be born as Gay or other forms of sexual gender. it is the act that is seen as not good because it does not lead to getting children. my view of sex is that it is only needed when one going to try to become parents Man and woman that is)

I believe that is not the case despite the position of the RC church. I believe sex is intended for married couples to have children but it is not an absolute necessity that they do so since there are enough people who do want children. The objection is that it is a perversion of God's intention.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe it is correct that I can't choose to be gay because I have a correct attractable mindset. The organ doesn't care. It is the mind that decides how to satisfy the organ.

Oh brudder! :rolleyes:

Did you make a conscious decision to be straight? No, you didn't. Do you consciously decide everyday to be straight, and to say "I'm not going to be gay today"? Please don't insult my intelligence.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I believe that is not the case despite the position of the RC church. I believe sex is intended for married couples to have children but it is not an absolute necessity that they do so since there are enough people who do want children. The objection is that it is a perversion of God's intention.
I can not speak for Christians since i am not one of them :)
But i can speak for my self and how i see it, and in my view sex is only for when we going to have kids.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh brudder! :rolleyes:

Did you make a conscious decision to be straight? No, you didn't. Do you consciously decide everyday to be straight, and to say "I'm not going to be gay today"? Please don't insult my intelligence.

Well, if it is the case that they decide each and every day not to be gay, then I guess they are most likely to be bisexual.

Goodman John

In my view, our bodies are nothing more than a 'dirty shirt' for our souls. And, as our soul (the spirit within us) is essentially genderless, it only makes sense to me that it doesn't really matter what outward form our bodies may be in. Breaking from majority medieval Cathar thought (most thought sex was at best a minor evil), I believe that sex is one of the few pleasures we can enjoy on this rock and 'good loving is where you find it'. As such, while I am personally attracted to females I neither praise nor condemn those who find pleasure in same-sex encounters- it's just sex. (Of course, this is all subject to the 'consenting adult' convention- minors and non-consenting adults are strictly out of bounds.)