• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is sexual orientation determined at birth?

Is sexual orientation determined at birth?

• Yes

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters

gnomon

"nature of sexual nature or otherwise"? Are you asking again if the scientific evidence points towards a purely biological source for the development of sexual orientation? The answer remains the same, the consensus opinion today among researchers and studies is that there are non-biological factors.

I want your documentation.

And I don't mean that menacing.....I just read that and it sounds like "Jeeves.....where is the proof"........

But no......what research states a consensus you are talking about.

I have not seen such research in regards to human sexual development that reached a consensus that sexual orientation is an environmental phenomenon.

edit: To be fair my statements about intersex I'm assuming others have read and I've been lazy about providing scientific arguments.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I have not seen such research in regards to human sexual development that reached a consensus that sexual orientation is an environmental phenomenon.
No one, including me, is saying that sexual orientation is an environmental phenomenon. I am saying, in concordance with the preponderance of scientific evidence, that sexual orientation is a multi-factorial phenomenon that includes environmental effects.

what research states a consensus you are talking about.
APA(link previously given): "There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors."

Here is a textbook on psychiatry, Principles of Psychiatric Nursing: Principles and Practice of Psychiatric Nursing - E-Book
"No conclusive evidence supports any one specific cause of homosexuality; however, most researchers agree that biological and social factors influence the development of sexual orientation"

Here's five articles of the sort that such declarations rely upon.

Långström, Niklas; Qazi Rahman; Eva Carlström; Paul Lichtenstein. "Genetic and Environmental Effects on Same-sex Sexual Behaviour: A Population Study of Twins in Sweden". Archives of Sexual Behavior. Archives of Sexual Behavior. 39 (1): 75–80.

Schumm, Walter R. "CHILDREN OF HOMOSEXUALS MORE APT TO BE HOMOSEXUALS? A REPLY TO MORRISON AND TO CAMERON BASED ON AN EXAMINATION OF MULTIPLE SOURCES OF DATA". Journal of Biosocial Science. 42 (06): 721–42

Kendler KS, Thornton LM, Gilman SE, Kessler RC. "Sexual orientation in a U.S. national sample of twin and nontwin sibling pairs". Am J Psychiatry. 157 (11): 1843–6.

Lung, F.W.; Shu, B.C.. "Father-son attachment and sexual partner orientation in Taiwan". Comprehensive Psychiatry. 48 (1): 20–6.

Bailey: J Pers Soc Psychol, Volume 78(3).March 2000.524–536

gnomon

Answers to Your Questions About Individuals With Intersex Conditions

An APA study on intersexual development of human beings.

edit: I'm sorry that I keep demanding attention to this but the question is whether or not human beings are clearly born male or female. We know that they are not. It's a biological fact. And despite Emu's attempts in discussing homosexuality, we are talking about something else. In regards to the OP.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
And despite Emu's attempts in discussing homosexuality, we are talking about something else. In regards to the OP.
Huh, sexual orientation has in any situation, academic or casual, that I've ever been in referred to orientation of sexual desires. Those you are physically and romantically attracted to.

PureX

Veteran Member
The evidence of experience suggests that it is a genetic inclination for a significant number of people, is cultural for others, and a conscious choice for yet others. And it's some combination of all these for the vast majority.

If so, why does God find fault with it?
God does not find fault with it. Though some humans do. God did not write any religious texts disparaging homosexuality, despite the false claims and idolatry of some religious practitioners.

gnomon

I changed my vote to no because that is the closest to acknowledging the fact that sexual identity is not determined at birth for many individuals.

There is a population in the Dominican Republic acknowledged as females at birth but once puberty kicks in there testes drop and they develop a penis. Born as females but develop into males once puberty kicks in.

Than you have the intersex.

And the fact that gender is a social and not a biological construct. It's a socially engineered concept based upon specific cultural concepts.

I think we truly have no idea upon which a specific individual determines their sexual orientation. That being defined as which intimate sexual desire they pursue which can be even further complicated by the idea that intimacy is not defined by sexual identity, gender identity or even sexual orientation but by more complex ideals of personal relationships.

This cannot be determined by any test of an infant at birth.

So no, sexual orientation is not determined at birth.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

I doubt, if there's a god, that it cares about the mating habits of one briefly existing, primitive species, who exists on one tiny dust mote floating in an endless expanse. Only human arrogance and ignorance could conceive of such a ridiculous, self-absorbed notion. Of course, blaming it on "god," is always a convenient way to not take responsibility for your own bigotry and maliciousness.

As to whether people are "born" gay, it is clear that it is a complex and varied phenomenon - and it is doubtful there is a one size fits all answer for all the people that end up being homosexual or varying degrees of bisexual.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

I do not believe sexual orientation is determined at birth, and by this I mean that sexual orientation is developmental in that a person develops the conscious decision to have an attraction to a particular gender. I don't think a baby knows it likes sex (A) or (B), the mind develops an understanding of self, of what is appealing.

RoaringSilence

physical @birth , mental re-orientation can vary moment to moment , sometimes you get a boner while sky -gazing or any other un explainable reason to suddenly want to have sex with food , like in american pie.. im just kidding ..no clue tbh

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
According to a study I saw several years ago, the geneticists who did it say that they believe about 80% of those who are homosexuals are largely because of genetic reasons.

Stop and think about this a second: if you are a heterosexual, and a person of the same sex is hitting on you, what's your gut feeling? As a hetero, I'm emotionally repulsed by that thought, but for a person who's gay, their reaction is likely to be quite different, although looks and personality also will kick in as well.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I voted <yes> to genetics, but I suspect that early exposure to Broadway show tunes is a factor.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Hormone exposure, epigenetics, maternal stress and immune response have all been linked in part to the development of homosexuality.

I would have to see the research but the closes thing to something that relates to sexual orientation biologically would be brain differences however you'd have top submit some research articles for me to review.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I would have to see the research but the closes thing to something that relates to sexual orientation biologically would be brain differences however you'd have top submit some research articles for me to review.
Post 62 contains 5 studies into the causes of homosexual development.