• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is sexual orientation determined at birth?

Is sexual orientation determined at birth?

• Yes

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Oh, I should have clarified. I am gay myself, or some sort of very gay-tinted bisexual perhaps. No, I don't think I was born with that or any other label. I do not feel that I "chose" homosexuality either - the chips fell where they did, whether anatomy, physiology, culture, social interactions or (as I have outlined in my original post) all of the above were to blame for it. I cannot imagine a world in which I did not love or at least deeply admire my partner. But previous generations or other cultures might have had very different ways of understanding that relationship. Perhaps were I born Washoe my partner and I would come to be seen as Two Spirits; in Victorian England, "good friends" who spent more time with each other than our wives but never thought to make it a sexual matter; In Rome, tutor and pupil who hung on to the erotic element longer than was quite seemly but would never have thought to make it a family thing, unless by marrying off our daughters to each other like Marcus and Lucius. Every time, every nation has its own ways of channeling and defining the potentials and parameters of human attraction. Whatever I might have been "naturally" is wholly obscured by the customs and assumptions of my time and place.
Thank you for that! May the gods richly bless you! :)

Kirran

Premium Member
If you are gay, I would appreciate it if you let me know whether or not you feel you were born that way. Thanks!

I'm not gay, but I'm not straight either. And yeah, that's something within my psychological makeup it seems, set in motion from my birth. It's not so simple as that I was "born like this" though, although I voted 'Yes'.

Gay, bisexual, pansexual, polysexual - these are labels, identities. They are culturally constructed. What is not is the basis of these particular identities, which is in biological sexual and romantic attraction to certain sets of people, to which these identities correlate.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'm not gay, but I'm not straight either. And yeah, that's something within my psychological makeup it seems, set in motion from my birth. It's not so simple as that I was "born like this" though, although I voted 'Yes'.

Gay, bisexual, pansexual, polysexual - these are labels, identities. They are culturally constructed. What is not is the basis of these particular identities, which is in biological sexual and romantic attraction to certain sets of people, to which these identities correlate.
I appreciate your contribution. I'm sure you have had your struggles. God bless you! :)

The worst scenario is:
- A heterosexual becomes a victim of a sex predator before maturity, and takes on a different sexual orientation that is not helping him / her reach their true identity.
- Victims many times become predators, and expand the problem.
- The problem grows exponentially.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I expect, like most things, our genes define a potential range of expression of an attribute, then environmental influences (which covers a wide range of things), at various points, influence where in that range the attribute is ultimately expressed.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The worst scenario is:
- A heterosexual becomes a victim of a sex predator before maturity, and takes on a different sexual orientation that is not helping him / her reach their true identity.
Sexual abuse doesn't change your sexual orientation.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I say a bit of both.
Yes, I think people are "born that way" so to speak. But it's not that simple. Societal factors could and often do make people repress their real sexuality for a long time. Either bisexuality, homosexuality or any other non heterosexual attractions. Sexuality is also fluid, it can change naturally over time.
That's not to say anything is wrong with any sexual orientation, just that it's kind of.........complicated.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The worst scenario is:
-Sexual abuse does not change one's sexual orientation. It can lead to, however, frustration and emotional instability with sexual desires. Any sexual desires, even if they are a gay male abused by an adult female. Also the vast majority of sexual abuse victims are heterosexual and stayed heterosexual. Promiscuity can also result from abuse. But the affects are wide ranging and complicated.
-Arguable. But the cycle isn't exactly helped by people making judgement calls on the sexual orientations of victims.
-The problems often grows specifically from societal judgements. You yourself just potentially contributed to those problems by suggesting that homosexual victims are that way because of abuse and that heterosexual victims are so powerless that the abuse can change their sexual orientation. Both are quite insulting insinuations/implications for different reasons and do nothing but hinder those who suffered abuse in their lives.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
The answer is no.

Genetic factors and prenatal environment play a role, sometimes large, in the development of sexual orientation, but the environment and socializing after birth play a role in actualizing the potential for an orientation.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I'd say 99% of the time sexual orientation is in a person's genes.

Remember that homosexuality occurs in many other animal species in about the same ratios. Why would we suspect that the human animal is any different?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's a mix of biology and environment. I'm pretty sure mine is.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Remember that homosexuality occurs in many other animal species in about the same ratios. Why would we suspect that the human animal is any different?
We also have to consider, we didn't even have a concept of heterosexuality and homosexuality until still fairly recently, and even then when it first came to be "heterosexuality" was considered a perversion as it implied your urges were too strong.
What would happen in a "Truman Show" type of situation? How would be people turn out, sexually, if we didn't have the stigmas? If we were more "free," I don't think "nature v nurture" would be an issue with sexuality, we'd probably see way more people exhibiting, at least some of the time, bisexual behaviors, and there just wouldn't be a reason to care about the "whys" other than that we genetically wired to be sexual animals.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
You'd be wrong. Even among identical twins there is not a 1.0 correlation in sexual orientation. All scientific evidence points towards unknown/unmeasured environmental factors in the development of sexual orientation.

Biometric modeling revealed that, in men, genetic effects explained .34–.39 of the variance [of sexual orientation], the shared environment .00, and the individual-specific environment .61–.66 of the variance. Corresponding estimates among women were .18–.19 for genetic factors, .16–.17 for shared environmental, and .64–.66 for unique environmental factors. Although wide confidence intervals suggest cautious interpretation, the results are consistent with moderate, primarily genetic, familial effects, and moderate to large effects of the nonshared environment (social and biological) on same-sex sexual behavior
"Genetic and environmental effects on same-sex sexual behavior: a population study of twins in Sweden". Arch Sex Behav. 39 (1): 75–80

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
You'd be wrong. Even among identical twins there is not a 1.0 correlation in sexual orientation. All scientific evidence points towards unknown/unmeasured environmental factors in the development of sexual orientation.

"Genetic and environmental effects on same-sex sexual behavior: a population study of twins in Sweden". Arch Sex Behav. 39 (1): 75–80

That's interesting! Two questions:

- even though twins genes are almost identical, is there a theory about other non-social, environmental factors?
- how is homosexuality in other animals accounted for?

Skwim

Veteran Member
My thoughts.

Even if homosexuality has absolutely nothing to do with anything at birth, be it genetic or otherwise, it's no more chosen than is heterosexuality. Therefore the question, "why does God find fault with it?" is still valid. Why come down on people for following their god given sexual urges in one case but not the other?

Bird123

If so, why does God find fault with it?

It is not God that finds fault with it. It is mankind who finds fault with it.

OK. people can choose to do most anything, however everyone is born predetermined to be attracted to one of the sexes.

How do I know? Let me start with a story. Growing up, I was a regular kid. I had no sex on my mind then my family was in a department store. We came across a lady demonstrating exercise equipment. WOW! That gal had a great pair of legs. All I could do was stare. When the family moved on they found I was missing. They found me watching that gal with the great legs.

At this moment in time. There was no choosing. I had no idea what sex was. All I knew was that gal had a great pair of legs and I didn't want to leave.

After grown, I heard people talking about choosing sexual orientation which sounded wrong to me based on my experiences so I investigated further.

Of all the people I asked I have not found a single person who said they remember at some point growing up that they made a conscious choice who they were attracted to. Just like with me, it just happened. What about you?

The parameters of our lives change things. Sometimes our differences cause people to hate, judge, and condemn others. This is not intelligent nor is it at a Higher Level. These are things we will learn that we do not want returning to us.

God grants total freedom of choice. Even with a predetermined sexual orientation, anyone is also free to make any choice they choose. This turns the picture gray for anyone wanting firm labels on others in order to judge, hate and condemn. For those demanding, I find their default conditioning as a result of religion is the other guy always tends to be the bad guy. Clearly much learning is needed by many to eliminate the hate.

That's how I see it. WE are all Living our Lessons. So often the answers are right in front of our noses within our own experiences.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
- even though twins genes are almost identical, is there a theory about other non-social, environmental factors?
Indeed, there are several. Hormone levels in the womb is a big one.

edit: I realize you may have meant post-natal environment. We haven't found direct evidence of any to my knowledge, but we do know diet and chemical exposure can have epigenetic effects. With something as complex as sexuality, the search may never come to any concrete conclusion on all possible factors and effect size.

- how is homosexuality in other animals accounted for?
I would imagine it would depend on the animal as to how it is accounted for, but with much the same situation where genetics and environmental factors work together. That is an entirely un-evidenced hypothesis, though.

Last edited: