• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Scientology really that bad?

saraibyn

It gets quite a lot of criticism, especially recently, since Leah Remini has been talking about it lately and receiving a lot of attention for it.

Why do people not like Scientology? Is it really as bad as people make it out to be?

saraibyn

I don't have any use for it, personally. There are dozens and dozens of better spiritual paths and most don't charge you a fortune to follow them.

To exist a church has to have some way to get money, and Scientology is unique among religions in that it is applied and requires technology and church staff to administer counselling, training, etc. Scientology is a pay for what you want system. When you want the stuff, you pay for it, and when you don't, you don't. and I personally think this is much better than being required to pay a flat tithe regardless of whether you're taking anything from the Church, as it is with some religions.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It gets quite a lot of criticism, especially recently, since Leah Remini has been talking about it lately and receiving a lot of attention for it.

Why do people not like Scientology? Is it really as bad as people make it out to be?

I've encountered them a few times on the street, where they've attempted to get me to take some survey or questionnaire. But I just politely decline and go on my way. At least they're not like some religions which go door to door.

My mother had a brief interest in Scientology, but decided it wasn't for her and didn't wish to pursue it any further. But she was still on their mailing list and was getting all kinds of mail from them that she didn't really want anymore.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
You mean the real Scientology or the crazy conspiracy theory version? :p

I know some folks who feel they really benefited from the treatments. It sounds fairly harmless, if you don't believe all the atheist/fundy hype.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
To exist a church has to have some way to get money, and Scientology is unique among religions in that it is applied and requires technology and church staff to administer counselling, training, etc. Scientology is a pay for what you want system. When you want the stuff, you pay for it, and when you don't, you don't. and I personally think this is much better than being required to pay a flat tithe regardless of whether you're taking anything from the Church, as it is with some religions.

Are you here to proselytize?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When we bought our second house, a previous tenant had been a Scientologist, and we kept getting Scientology mail for him, though he had left no forwarding address with the realtor or the post office and never came back to enquire.

After half a year of this, I opened them ─ they were obviously sales material ─ and read a few.

My very strong impression was of money money money money money. All the way up to a course of a few days at a country house for a lousy $35,000 in 1985 currency.

Then there were the e-meters, a whole range from plain to, let's say, gold with rubies and pearls, and a footnote (which could only have been there because it was required by law) saying that the e-meter was not warranted to do anything.

Not a syllable about kindness, wisdom, inclusion, decency. Just sell pay sell pay sell pay.

Later I had a good friend whose brother became a Scientologist, and took it up as a profession. My friend was scathing of Scientology for the way its bosses used him for peanut rewards, and of his brother for accepting such manipulating treatment. In the end they posted the brother to Taiwan, yet again he did what they wanted, and I understand, he lives and sells and pays and sells and pays there to this day.

On that brief personal acquaintance I've never had any difficulty in believing the press about Scientology ─ that they're manipulative, intrusive, secretive, evasive, law-breaking, dishonest and above all avaricious in spades redoubled.

I don't know how that sounds to you, but that's exactly how it looks to me as an outsider.