• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Science Necessary...

PruePhillip

I dont think you know much science, sorry.

Used to be a science lecturer. Love science, been reading science since I was about 5 years old.
Have belonged to various science and astronomy groups. Was invited to see the first images from
the Voyagers passing Uranus and Neptune - before they were sent to NASA. That was super special.

Audie

Veteran Member
Used to be a science lecturer. Love science, been reading science since I was about 5 years old.
Have belonged to various science and astronomy groups. Was invited to see the first images from
the Voyagers passing Uranus and Neptune - before they were sent to NASA. That was super special.

What happened to you?

PruePhillip

What happened to you?

Retired. More time to read science.

ps I wasn't really a 'science' lecture, but a 'computer science' lecturer.
I would sneak science into the conversation whenever I could... My
love is astro-science, both the space technology and space science.

Audie

Veteran Member
Retired. More time to read science.

ps I wasn't really a 'science' lecture, but a 'computer science' lecturer.
I would sneak science into the conversation whenever I could... My
love is astro-science, both the space technology and space science.
What fun!

firedragon

Veteran Member
I see a number of religious folks wanting to use science to justify their belief. Just wondering why.

You should note, that atheists are very aggressively trying to use science to destroy religions. Outright. Even going against philosophy of science. They are trying to invent their own philosophy of science for their evangelism.

Do you wonder why.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I didn't say that I ought to pursue my goals. My goals just are. Sustenance, safety, society, sleep, solace, sex, and Star Trek*. I don't choose them. They are just a part of human facticity. All of my other goals devolve from those.

Similarly, morality is also an evolved trait in social species. Ethologists rate it on the metrics of empathy, equity, reciprocity and cooperation.

* I couldn't think an word for fun and enjoyment that started with 'S'

How can religion tell us what we ought to do when what we aught do is a function of Our Goals and What Is?

You can't gaslight me when your previous posts are archived on the same page.

ppp

You can't gaslight me when your previous posts are archived on the same page.
Read a bit more carefully. My first statement says that my goal simply are. The second statement says that what I ought to do is a function of the existence of my goals. If my goal is x And I want to achieve goal x then I ought to do the things that achieve that goal. The ought is on the actions that devolve from the goal and what is. Not on the goal itself.

For instance, there is no obligation to stay alive. I simply want to stay alive. Now I look at the fact that I want to stay alive and the facts of the universe and in light of those two things there are actions that I ought to take in order to do achieve that goal. The ought is not on staying alive. It's on the actions to take if I choose to pursue the goal of staying alive.

lukethethird

unknown member
You should note, that atheists are very aggressively trying to use science to destroy religions. Outright. Even going against philosophy of science. They are trying to invent their own philosophy of science for their evangelism.

Do you wonder why.
Atheists and most theists don't want creationism taught in our science classes at school. Do you have a problem with that?

Reactions: ppp

lukethethird

unknown member
I didnt speak of creationism and about your teaching imposition to school children. Thats just a red herring.
Atheists wouldn't be on this forum debating theists if theists kept their theology out of the schools and out of politics, where it doesn't belong.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Do you wonder why.

Sure, start a thread. :)

Viker

Häxan
images

to Religion?

Does Religion have to justify itself to science?
No and no.

I, personally, don't have an issue with either or both attempting to exist alongside one another.

Christians who can look at the facts
and acknowledge that Noahs ark
never existed, there was no flood.

We don't have any real scientific evidence or proof for that the flood didn't happen as told in the Bible.

Audie

Veteran Member
We don't have any real scientific evidence or proof for that the flood didn't happen as told in the Bible.

Who are "we "?

Not me or the world scientific community.

Only reason not to have any would be to
avoid it.

There is of course the existence of polar ice
to disprove "flood" , but I suppose its true you've
not been close enough to see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ppp

Sheldon

Veteran Member

The geological evidence falsifies the claim. However even were that not the case you are using an argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy yet again. can you prove you're not surrounded by indivisible mermaids? Does that lend credence to the idea?

ppp

The excess azs wafted to Neptune where
It shines to this day as a warning beacon
against incoming rogue angels.

I heard about that.
Ohhhh. It all makes sense now. :hearteyes:

The thing is I would be unsurprised if anyone thought something like that. Especially after the "water canopy"!:facepalm: