• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Science Necessary...

Daniel Nicholson

Blasphemous Pryme
And if science does the same?
Here's two ---
The universe created itself before it existed
There is no reason for our being.

Please prove both, or plead the fifth.

To be fair to my original statement, if scientists want to make religious claims, then they should justify them using religion's standards of proof.

1. The universe is infinite and doesn't have a start
2. The reason for our existence is to do experiments with mice and eat birthday cake once a year. That's it.

We know this because the all time greatest scientist in the universe said so. His name was Bob and he lived 5000 years ago, and he was never wrong. And there are thousands of first hand accounts by illiterate peasants that Bob was never wrong, so we know it's true.

Audie

Veteran Member
Yes, the universe can travel faster than light. Light's speed is referenced to space - but space can go like a bat
out of hell.
There's all sorts of super-clever ideas about how the universe could create the universe - but they all needs to
acknowledge that at some point the universe didn't exist. I think the old theory of an eternal universe just dodged
the question.
I think you are very mixed up.
And no, there is no science that says that
at one time the universe did not exist.

PruePhillip

I think you are very mixed up.
And no, there is no science that says that
at one time the universe did not exist.

The catch in your response lies in the word 'at one time' because time itself did not exist.
Time is a part of the universe. But there had to be a beginning, and a reason for a beginning.

PruePhillip

To be fair to my original statement, if scientists want to make religious claims, then they should justify them using religion's standards of proof.

1. The universe is infinite and doesn't have a start
2. The reason for our existence is to do experiments with mice and eat birthday cake once a year. That's it.

We know this because the all time greatest scientist in the universe said so. His name was Bob and he lived 5000 years ago, and he was never wrong. And there are thousands of first hand accounts by illiterate peasants that Bob was never wrong, so we know it's true.

The old idea that the universe was here forever is basically finished now. The universe isn't going to endlessly
cycle - it's accelerating away till the fabric tears apart.
In any case, and endless universe doesn't quite answer the question of how it came to be in the first place.

Audie

Veteran Member
The catch in your response lies in the word 'at one time' because time itself did not exist.
Time is a part of the universe. But there had to be a beginning, and a reason for a beginning.
No there did not have to be a beginning.
But if you want to play that game, apply it to
your creator and its reason.

Audie

Veteran Member
The old idea that the universe was here forever is basically finished now. The universe isn't going to endlessly
cycle - it's accelerating away till the fabric tears apart.
In any case, and endless universe doesn't quite answer the question of how it came to be in the first place.

Nonsense.
And inventing a god explains nothing.

Audie

Veteran Member
You see no purpose to your life? You think it's "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"? - (Shakespeare, Macbeth)
No " transcendent " thing as imagined in divers religions.

Purpose and goals are what a person makes for himself.

I certainly have those.

RestlessSoul

No there did not have to be a beginning.
But if you want to play that game, apply it to
your creator and its reason.

It's been the scientific consensus since the 1970s, when Stephen Hawking and Roger Penrose presented the mathematical model, that the universe did have a beginning, the Big Bang originating from a singularity (a condition of infinite density and no dimensions, in which space and time have no meaning).

Audie

Veteran Member
It's been the scientific consensus since the 1970s, when Stephen Hawking and Roger Penrose presented the mathematical model, that the universe did have a beginning, the Big Bang originating from a singularity (a condition of infinite density and no dimensions, in which space and time have no meaning).

There was something there, in a different state
BIg bang would be a change of state, not a beginning of existence.

RestlessSoul

You seem to feel very strongly about this. Why would I do that?

Why would you want your life to have meaning, beyond the satisfaction of worldly desires? I can't answer that for you. But quite obviously, many people do want more from life than material gain.

PruePhillip

Nonsense.
And inventing a god explains nothing.

Perhaps the bible is right - we didn't invent at all.
But what is 'nonsense' ? That the universe had a 'big bang' but will never see
a 'big crunch' ?? It appears that's the case. But even if the universe did have
an endless expansion and contraction - it doesn't explain how it began and
why it began.
The question of whether God or the universe created the universe is an
article of faith.

RestlessSoul

There was something there, in a different state
BIg bang would be a change of state, not a beginning of existence.

It was the beginning of time and space. It therefore makes no sense to talk about "before", in that context. God (or the Universe itself) said, let there be light. And there was light. There was no before. There was no "was". There was not. And now there is.

Audie

Veteran Member
Why would you want your life to have meaning, beyond the satisfaction of worldly desires? I can't answer that for you. But quite obviously, many people do want more from life than material gain.

You actually think " material gain", "satisfaction of worldly desires" is the only alternative to
pie in the sky?

Audie

Veteran Member
Perhaps the bible is right - we didn't invent at all.
But what is 'nonsense' ? That the universe had a 'big bang' but will never see
a 'big crunch' ?? It appears that's the case. But even if the universe did have
an endless expansion and contraction - it doesn't explain how it began and
why it began.
The question of whether God or the universe created the universe is an
article of faith.
The bible is right about what?
A very substantial part of what it says
is so clearly incorrect that to try to
claim its " correct" is nonsensical.

ppp

Material gain is generally a reference to stuff. Money, cars, TVs, toys, etc. Neither solace nor society fall under the category of material gain. Unless you consider charity worked, contributing to build a fairer society, or being loved and loving in return to all be material gain?