• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Richard Dawkins a good scientist?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
He's a great scientist, and a wonderful human, as God and Darwin intended him to be.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've seen nothing to indicate Dawkins is a bad scientist with respect to the field he has legitimate expertise in. He adheres properly to scientific methodology and does not commit breaches of research ethics.

He is, however, a terrible theologian.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I've seen nothing to indicate Dawkins is a bad scientist with respect to the field he has legitimate expertise in. He adheres properly to scientific methodology and does not commit breaches of research ethics.

He is, however, a terrible theologian.
Has he ever represented himself as one? If so, what has he done that's so terrible?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
You could say the pope has some skewed ideas about atheism, but I've never seen anything to indicate he's a bad person.

The Pope has actually defended the pedophile priests. In addition, he's in a position of power. Therefore, he is held to a much higher standard than an average joe like Dawkins.

Can you show me an example of equivalent behavior between Dawkins and the Pope? Besides simple criticism of the other side?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Religion isn't science, so why bring that up? He is a scientist, and has been for a long time. Unless your definition of scientist involves someone who never speaks negatively about religion, because then there would be very few scientists left in the world if that were the case.

I admire the science in Richard Dawkins as a scientist; his extra-"curricular" activities as an individual lay man in fields not specifically related to his scientific expertise could only be regarded an off-the-cuff material not becoming of a scientist though.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It depends on the focus of the curriculum and the thesis. If it's primarily comparative studies, historical, or paper research intensive then a MA would be likely awarded. If it's more hands-on studies then it will probably be an MS. In the US, neither degree is superior to the other.

Do you mean under the British; he is not considered a scientist per se?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
I admire the science in Richard Dawkins as a scientist; his extra-"curricular" activities as an individual lay man in fields not specifically related to his scientific expertise could only be regarded an off-the-cuff material not becoming of a scientist though.
People should not voice their opinions because they're not experts?

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
CynthiaCypher said:
What about commanding his minions to go forth and mock others?
My, my, what damning hyperbole. :facepalm:

He is a narcissist and a hypocrite. He criticizes religion because of it's bigotry and then goes and tells others to act in a bigoted manner toward religious people.
And your examples of this are . . . .
(A) He is a narcissist. Example: ________________fill in the blank_______.

(B) He is a hypocrite.Example: ________________fill in the blank_______.

(C) He criticizes religion because of it's bigotry. Example: ________________fill in the blank_______.

(D) He goes and tells others to act in a bigoted manner toward religious people. Example: ________________fill in the blank_______.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What about commanding his minions to go forth and mock others?

Even if he had done that -- and the reality is far from as simple as you make it out to be -- it is ridiculous to call someone "a rotten person" because they mock ideas.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Even if he had done that -- and the reality is far from as simple as you make it out to be -- it is ridiculous to call someone "a rotten person" because they mock ideas.

If the person being mocked at is a theist; then it is OK? I quoted from Hitchens in other threads, or I should quote again?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
One of our friends here gave an opinion that Richard Dawkins is not a scientist.

What is your opinion? Please
I read two book by Dawkins: The Selfish Gene, and The Blind Watchmaker.
He is a top notch scientist. Not only that but his true gift is his talent in making the reader relate to evolutionary biology through engaging writing which includes highly interesting and relevant examples and analogies.

Last edited:

CynthiaCypher

My, my, what damning hyperbole. :facepalm:

And your examples of this are . . . .
(A) He is a narcissist. Example: ________________fill in the blank_______.

(B) He is a hypocrite.Example: ________________fill in the blank_______.

(C) He criticizes religion because of it's bigotry. Example: ________________fill in the blank_______.

(D) He goes and tells others to act in a bigoted manner toward religious people. Example: ________________fill in the blank_______.

[youtube]-_2xGIwQfik[/youtube]
Dawkins vs. Tyson - YouTube