• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is RF officially ramsacked by the secular movement?

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
It seems the anti religious crowd first line of defense for religious attacks is denial, in that they have something in common with Trump!!

Stating an opinion regarding religion and religious practice is not an attack. I've just had a merry-go-round with the OP, trying to get him to see the difference.

Trump doesn't like dissent from a minority opinion, so as a nonreligious person who only makes up 12% of the US population, I'm not allowed to expressed my opinion on religion because it's an "attack."

**mod delete**

Last edited by a moderator:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Personally, I think only dialectic conversation is what religious minded people prefer.

If I'm not mistaken, it is a common religious rule , not to engage people who strive with strife.
How common is common, and what group are we calling religious minded people for the purposes of this thread?

There is certainly no shortage of people who consider themselves religious yet take, to put it diplomatically, a somewhat different stance than that.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Personally, I think only dialectic conversation is what religious minded people prefer.
Probably so, but on an internet forum you need a ball to toss. We're here socially for the most part, and that's difficult as internet interaction is very papery and dry. There's no personal risk. To keep things going you need something like a book to study or passing events to discuss or some kind of way to get to know other people that feels like an interaction. You have to get your feelings involved. Fighting can fill that void, and ideally it should be friendly fighting though that takes a lot of skill and dedication. Look at the games and jokes section for an example. Discussing History would be great if any of us were very fluent in History. I think the default is to be attracted to whatever fracas is going on. We have quite a few discussions about politics here, mostly just a bunch of crowds chanting back and forth but also some in depth comments sometimes.

osgart thread title said:
Is RF officially ramsacked by the secular movement
Imagine it this way: it is made up of swirls in a lake on the side of a hill, and the swirls are the regulars in their groups. There is a trickle of streams which are the passersby and those who can't keep the rules and leave quickly and flow on downhill. Some stay and go into one of the swirls, where they just go round and round only occasionally touching other groups. One of the swirls consists of people who had a bad experience with religion and feel it has too many negatives to have an overall positive outcome, and it certainly alters the flavor of religious forums. Its a large swirl. It doesn't overwhelm religious forums, and these folks have their part to play. Everybody does their own part to keep things swirling.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Many times here secularist prosecute a religious beliefs with opinion and expect the burden of proof to be on the defendant, to refute their claim, and vice versa when a religious person attempt to refute evolution for example. Which I feel is the antithesis of a fair debate.

Wait, what? Most religions have extraordinary claims at their foundation, correct? Are you saying that it's not fair to ask the religious to defend their extraordinary claims?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
The claim that there is no God is pretty extraordinary IMHO

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The claim that there is no God is pretty extraordinary IMHO
Consider though that this is a singular claim.
Many major religions have thousands of extraordinary claims.
Tis not just the existence of gods, but their number, their likes,
their dislikes, their names, their appearance, their commandments,
a detailed record of their accomplishments & tantrums, etc.
Now that is extra extraordinary.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
What's extraordinary is that a small minority of atheists get to dominate a forum that's supposed to be about religion, not the lack of it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What's extraordinary is that a small minority of atheists get to dominate a forum that's supposed to be about religion, not the lack of it.
Everyone is here to discuss it.
RF doesn't require that you belong to this or that group.
Besides, who has a greater interest in religion than those
affected by the religious majority running government?
Hence my keen interest.

And I've been good....I haven't made fun of your haircut lately.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
@Revoltingest and I fight all the time. I am a decent human being and he is a Trumpy sort.
And he's faux Scottish. And he believes in all feticide all the time because he doesn't want to share the planet with anyone, he gives only grudging allowance to continue breathing to people who aren't him. At best.

So what? So we fight? I don't bother with internet entertainment unless it's entertaining. RF is entertaining, largely because of miscreants like him.
And he's not even religious, except for his Libertarian tendencies. Then he sounds like a Creationist.
Tom

ETA ~ Frankly, Rev is more entertaining than any Saint or Stein I've ever met.~

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Critique and scrutiny isn't persecution, and if your beliefs are sound and solid, then they should easily stand up to critique and scrutiny. If you're strong and confident in your faith, then having it challenged shouldn't be an issue.

QuestioningMind

You can look up the names Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Christopher Hitchens, Lawrence Krauss, and Sam Harris. Those are the leaders of the anti religion movement.

I have no religious affiliation. But I do have religious beliefs of my own making.

I don't plan on counter attacking. Other then speaking my mind, when the opportunity arises.

The thread 'Religious Fervor or Mental Illness' is an anti religious thread on RF

"The thread 'Religious Fervor or Mental Illness' is an anti religious thread on RF"

Not really... it speaks against religious extremism... not all religion. Were the idiots who had the religious fervor to fly airplanes into buildings on 9/11 mentally ill? I think it's a legitimate question.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
How common is common, and what group are we calling religious minded people for the purposes of this thread?

There is certainly no shortage of people who consider themselves religious yet take, to put it diplomatically, a somewhat different stance than that.

I think it's very common in all the religions not to meddle with strife.

I personally like to defend religions that don't condemn me as a non believer. And I call into question what is a religion, and what is a cult. I don't think you can lump all religions together as formally understood.

Also I have a spiritual faith that I infer all on my own and consider that to be religious minded, since I can't prove it is true, only that it's worthwhile to my life.

Mainly I'm trying to be diplomatic myself, while calling out that certain threads do attack all religion as worthless, and delusionally ill.

Personally I see religion as an evolving way of developing effective beliefs and faiths and practices, that are based on evident facts and reasoning.

And I also would like to defend people who flat out think differently than all the establishments here we know of.

And I'd rather learn about religion than blast off on it.

Lastly, I think some secular people want us all to conform to a strict form of thinking, and considering knowledge that I find too rigid. It has it's highly effective form and knowledge, but it's all very constricting if adopted as the sole basis of thought and conviction.