• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Repentence Necessary?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Nope! :) (Unless you do something wrong, which means that it would be only natural to feel sorry for it, and hopefully want to do better. That's more my personal belief, though.)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
FeathersinHair said:
Nope! :) (Unless you do something wrong, which means that it would be only natural to feel sorry for it, and hopefully want to do better. That's more my personal belief, though.)
But we all do wrong from time to time. And a lot of people don't feel sorry for what they've done. It might be natural to you, Feathers, because you're a good person, but it's not natural for some peple.

I believe repentence is necessary, and that we will not be forgiven without it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
As Kathryn says, Feathers, you are just a 'natural repenter'.............;)

Katzpur said:
But we all do wrong from time to time. And a lot of people don't feel sorry for what they've done. It might be natural to you, Feathers, because you're a good person, but it's not natural for some peple.

I believe repentence is necessary, and that we will not be forgiven without it.
I agree we all do wrong ( and I would say most of the time :( ); is feeling sorry actual repententence ? I would have thought that there would be much more to repentence than feeling sorry - somehow, I feel I have to do something particularly good to 'atone' for what I have done wrong. Yet, I don't think that is particularly 'healthy' - because I find myself doing things I would never choose to do.......and thence sometimes feel resentful.........I find this all very difficult to deal with.

Scott1

FeathersinHair said:
(Unless you do something wrong, which means that it would be only natural to feel sorry for it, and hopefully want to do better.
Why would you feel sorry for something that you intentionally did?

Why would it be "natural" for you to feel sorry for anything?

Aqualung

Tasty
michel said:
I agree we all do wrong ( and I would say most of the time :( ); is feeling sorry actual repententence ? I would have thought that there would be much more to repentence than feeling sorry - somehow, I feel I have to do something particularly good to 'atone' for what I have done wrong. Yet, I don't think that is particularly 'healthy' - because I find myself doing things I would never choose to do.......and thence sometimes feel resentful.........I find this all very difficult to deal with.
It's sinceraly feeling sorry, sinceraly regretting what you have done, and making a sincere effort to not do it again in the future.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Scott1 said:

I know that was addressed to Feathers, Isn't that a natural reaction, that comes from guilt ?

Scott1

Aqualung said:
It's sinceraly feeling sorry, sinceraly regretting what you have done, and making a sincere effort to not do it again in the future.
Sorry for what, actually?

Why do you "sinceraly" regret what you have done?

Why make a sincere effort not to do it again?

Aqualung

Tasty
Scott1 said:
Sorry for what, actually?
For whatever sin you just did.

Scott1 said:
Why do you "sinceraly" regret what you have done?
It does no good to just pretend to feel bad.

Scott1 said:
Why make a sincere effort not to do it again?
What's the point of having specific things that are "sins" if it doesn't matter if you follow them or not? If you sin, you have to make an effort not to do it again, or it makes the "sin" part of it moot.

Scott1

Aqualung said:
For whatever sin you just did.
Sorry, I was not clear.... why do you feel bad that you sinned?
It does no good to just pretend to feel bad.
Even if you are sincere, why do you feel badly?
What's the point of having specific things that are "sins" if it doesn't matter if you follow them or not? If you sin, you have to make an effort not to do it again, or it makes the "sin" part of it moot.
I guess I'm not being clear... I'm trying to find out why YOU repent..... what is your motivation to do so?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Scott1 said:
Because of my various silly complexes, I feel sorry for things that I didn't do intentionally, as well as things that were probably the right thing to do. (Like having to break off an unhealthy relationship.) I can't fathom why someone would do wrong intentionally.

I'm afraid I phrased this wrong, since, as Katzpur and Michel noted, I have a tendancy to project my personality on others. I should have clarified that, for me, it's natural to feel sorry for doing something wrong, if nothing else because I have empathy for other people. I feel repenatant if I harm the earth, other people, and other animals, or spirits because I know the pain that they'd be going through. (I'll try not to go into the details, as it would be getting off the subject, but the empathy is so acute that I find it much easier to be hurt, myself, than have other people in pain.) If one takes it back into the religious terms, I feel sorry, as a Pagan, for hurting another, because part of my belief is that we are all intertwined, and that negative actions only harm oneself in the long run.

Scott1

FeathersinHair said:
I feel sorry for things that I didn't do intentionally, as well as things that were probably the right thing to do. (Like having to break off an unhealthy relationship.) I can't fathom why someone would do wrong intentionally.
OK.... I guess I just don't understand what "sorry" means to you.
I feel repenatant if I harm the earth, other people, and other animals, or spirits because I know the pain that they'd be going through.
I get ya.... but this type of "repentance" is not what Christians speak of... I respect your beliefs, but I think we're talking about two different things.
I feel sorry, as a Pagan, for hurting another, because part of my belief is that we are all intertwined, and that negative actions only harm oneself in the long run.
Do you ever feel sorry for actions that don't harm anyone but yourself, and if so, why?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I repent so that I am in a sufficient state of Grace to face God.
Sins are sins because we do what God has commanded us not to do, or not done things he wishes us to do. It is not just ticking boxes that are bad.
Repentance is more than feeling sorry, it is also promising, with the help of God, not to repeat the sin.
God understands the nature of man and knows that we do indeed repeatedly sin. but in his love he forgives us.

Terry__________________________
Blessed are the merciful, mercy shall be shown unto them.

Scott1

Terrywoodenpic said:
I repent so that I am in a sufficient state of Grace to face God.
Same questions for you Terry (sorry, I'm in a inquisative mood tonight ;-) )

Why do you seek to be in the Grace to face God?

I guess I'll have to ask a leading question to be clear: Do you repent out of fear or love?

Scott1

Darkdale said:
If you have wronged someone, you should "make it right"; but I you don't need to repent before the gods.
Can you give an example of how you would "make it right"?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I agree that I think we're talking about different things, Scott. Since Pagans tend to not have the concept of sin, I'm not sure if we can be repentant, in the Christian definition. That's why I don't believe it's necessary to my path, but I think the idea of wanting to correct your own actions, not to do them again, and to feel very badly for having done them in the first place might be more of a human 'thing' than a spiritual one.

I do feel sorry for actions that hurt no one but myself, because I'm only just now starting to realize that I do not deserve to be hurt by anyone, least of all myself. The various dieties I hold in esteem did not intend for me to do things that might hurt myself, so I try to steer clear of doing so.