• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religion logical

Muffled

Jesus in me
I am starting out on a general basis. Certainly one may argue about certain elements as to how logical they are but I am looking for whether it makes any sense for any kind of religious activity to exist.

My beginning argument for it being logical is that religion is like tradition. A person fiinds something that works so it becomes something worth repeating.

Fod instance the chant of "om" is believed to work as a way to enter into meditation.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If you're asking whether engaging in religion makes sense, then it certainly does for a great many people, for a wide variety of reasons which make sense to them. I don't think that "logical" is the applicable word here though, other than in a very rough, informal usage.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you sure "logical" is the word you were looking for? Logic is a system of thought that has very strict parameters for measuring validity. Logic in that sense applies to only a very narrow range of human endeavors, and it certainly applies poorly to arts like religions.

My beginning argument for it being logical is that religion is like tradition. A person fiinds something that works so it becomes something worth repeating.

They certainly must have practical benefits otherwise they wouldn't have survived so long.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I take your point, but 'beginning' with 'tradition' seems a bit of an oxymoron!

I think it's the traditions of religion that seem illogical to many, because we lose sight of the logical beginnings that gave rise to them.

On the most general basis, I'd say the root of religion is a logical skepticism- of the belief that everything 'just is' for no particular reason- creation without creativity.

Most of us eventually deduce that some sort of creative intelligence must lie behind it, and most of the rest of religion stems logically from this does it not?

Muffled

Jesus in me
If you're asking whether engaging in religion makes sense, then it certainly does for a great many people, for a wide variety of reasons which make sense to them. I don't think that "logical" is the applicable word here though, other than in a very rough, informal usage.

I suppose one might engage in an illogical religion like the spaghetti monster for fun but I can't imagine anyone taking it seriously.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I suppose one might engage in an illogical religion like the spaghetti monster for fun but I can't imagine anyone taking it seriously.

That's because it's not an actual religion. It's not a matter of it being logical or illogical. It's merely an illustrative device to highlight elements of religion via analogy.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Are you sure "logical" is the word you were looking for? Logic is a system of thought that has very strict parameters for measuring validity. Logic in that sense applies to only a very narrow range of human endeavors, and it certainly applies poorly to arts like religions.

I believe art can be quite logical although the way some people practice it, it is random.

Muffled

Jesus in me
That's because it's not an actual religion. It's not a matter of it being logical or illogical. It's merely an illustrative device to highlight elements of religion via analogy.
I believe I never realized that. I suppose it was just too easy for me to dismiss it entirely.

PS: For those who are new the spaghetti monster has made an appearance in previous debates.

Muffled

Jesus in me
They certainly must have practical benefits otherwise they wouldn't have survived so long.

I am not sure that is entirely true. People sometimes practice things just because it makes them feel better. I like to have music on while I drive because I feel that it helps my driving. I am not sure there is any reason why it would but it does make me feel better about my driving.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe art can be quite logical although the way some people practice it, it is random.

Okay, you're going to have to explain to us how you are using the word "logical," because at this point I'm totally confused unless you're talking about creating art using a computer program that automatically generates an image based on math equations (like fractals).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I am starting out on a general basis. Certainly one may argue about certain elements as to how logical they are but I am looking for whether it makes any sense for any kind of religious activity to exist.

Fod instance the chant of "om" is believed to work as a way to enter into meditation.
I can read through Harry Potter logically.

Isn't it more a question of rationale rather than logic?

Muffled

Jesus in me
I would start by making a clear distinction between religious beliefs and religious practices.
Tom
I believe that makes sense. There are people who practice religion because it is a tradition for them not because they believe in the practice or understand the meaning behind it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I can read through Harry Potter logically.

Isn't it more a question of rationale rather than logic?

I believe anything may be viewed logically but the element of magic may be illogical.

I would hope that a rationale is based on logic. It may simply be based on feelings.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I believe that makes sense. There are people who practice religion because it is a tradition for them not because they believe in the practice or understand the meaning behind it.
I reasons I think that this distinction is critical are many.
For one, the main one, what people believe doesn't matter much. It's what they say and do that impacts the human situation.
For another, people are not particularly rational or logical. If we were more so, the world would be a better place.
For another, people often confuse their cultural beliefs for religious beliefs. Their practices as well.
Another, people might behave in a way that rationally follows from an irrational belief.

So, the fundamental problem, IMHO, is that once someone has divorced their world view from evidence and reason they might wind up believing and doing almost anything. So we wind up with everything from Oxfam to ISIS.
TOM

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
On the most general basis, I'd say the root of religion is a logical skepticism- of the belief that everything 'just is' for no particular reason- creation without creativity.

Most of us eventually deduce that some sort of creative intelligence must lie behind it, and most of the rest of religion stems logically from this does it not?
I quite literally laughed out loud at this!

You seem to neglect that the 'creative intelligence' that you think is necessary to avoid everything just being, for no particular reason, must itself just be, for no particular reason....

Muffled

Jesus in me
I quite literally laughed out loud at this!

You seem to neglect that the 'creative intelligence' that you think is necessary to avoid everything just being, for no particular reason, must itself just be, for no particular reason....

I believe it makes a lot more sense to believe an intelligence exists than to believe a whole logical system of nature exists. The intelligence behind nature makes more sense than it just existing.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Psychological well being is very much a practical benefit.
Sometimes yes, but sometimes no.
Spending millions of dollars and man hours on an anti-gay smear campaign in California doubtless made a bunch of Mormons feel better about themselves.
Tom