1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Is religion just another method to resolve cognitive dissonance?

Discussion in 'Science and Religion' started by Wandering Monk, Aug 1, 2020.

1. exchemist

exchemist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,810
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    Well, not just Catholicism but most mainstream Christianity - and I rather think Judaism - encourages people to recognise their imperfections and work on them rather than deny that they exist.

But maybe the OP has other types of religion in mind.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,297
    Religion:
    Judaism
    "Is religion just another method to resolve cognitive dissonance?"

No.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ecco

ecco Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,286
    Religion:
    atheist
    Those who don't believe look at the actions of those who do believe and know "it's a bunch of hooey".

4. ecco

ecco Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,286
    Religion:
    atheist
    Catholics go to confession, get three Hail Marys and all is forgiven.

People like Jimmy Swaggart, Kent Hovind, and Jim Bakker don't admit or change until the Press (or the Feds) show their sinning ways. Then they ask for forgiveness ;) and walk away with millions.

Does this sound like encouraging people to recognize their imperfections and work on them rather than denying that they exist?

Swaggart Blames "Demon Spirits" For His Woes
    Swaggart Blames “Demon Spirits” For His Woes
    October 20, 1991

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) _ Evangelist Jimmy Swaggart, recently found associating with a prostitute, told his followers Sunday that ″demon spirits″ were responsible for his woes.

″In my mind I knew it was demon spirits ... without warning, without any stimulation. Psychology says something has to trigger it ... but when demon spirits function, they don’t have to have any stimulation or triggering devices.

Here we clearly see a con man, liar, and adulterer using religion as an excuse for his problems: "The Debble Made Me Do It"

Atheists don't have such easy copouts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Fool

Fool ALL in all
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,854
    Religion:
    Light Impressed with Love
    there is no heaven out there anymore than there is a hell out there. The Absolute is NOW..

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. 'mud

'mud ~~ Life is Stuff ~~
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,052
    Religion:
    ~~ LIFE ~~
    But...`NOW` doesn't exist !

7. exchemist

Ratings:
    +6,810
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    The important difference is not confession, but the mindset that recognises we are all sinners, i.e. imperfect people with a tendency to do wrong, and thus in need of forgiveness. This is standard, not only in Catholicism but in most mainstream Christian denominations.

I don’t think the people you mention are mainstream Christians. This ‘born again’ stuff has always struck me as bad theology and liable to lead to arrogance. But one can have charlatans and crooks in any branch of any religion.

8. 'mud

'mud ~~ Life is Stuff ~~
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,052
    Religion:
    ~~ LIFE ~~
    Between the covers of any book, lie the charlatans all

9. ecco

ecco Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,286
    Religion:
    atheist
    Is your "mainstream" comment anything like "But, they aren't real Christians. Real Christians wouldn't do anything like that"?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. exchemist

Ratings:
    +6,810
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    You mean, am I trying to pull the No True Scotsman trick? No, I’m not. There are many forms of almost all the religions. Some strands of Christianity I find extremely uncongenial. My grandfather was a Methodist minister, but living in Scotland so being largely a guest preacher in Presbyterian churches, my mother was a lifelong Anglican and my father was converted to Catholicism. These are all mainstream denominations, with a coherent body of doctrine and theology. But there are also a lot of splinter groups, in some of which any old fool can wake up one morning and decide to be a pastor and found his own church. One of my brothers did exactly that, in fact.

Chacun a son goût, I suppose.

11. Augustus

Augustus the Unreasonable

Ratings:
    +9,756
    Religion:
    none
    They are mainstream, but only in America (although they are becoming a sort of Saudi Arabia for weird Protestantism and trying to spread it around the world).

American Christianity developed its own distinct flavours over the past century or so, but due to media coverage many people, particularly Americans, seem to think it is representative of the broader traditions.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Samantha Rinne

Samantha Rinne Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

Ratings:
    +505
    Religion:
    Writer of the Mune Shinri (Aiken religion)
    Watch this video.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. 'mud

'mud ~~ Life is Stuff ~~
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,052
    Religion:
    ~~ LIFE ~~
  14. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,915
    I find 'pretty bad' and 'Not being repentant' are two different matters.
    Moses was raised by Egyptians and when he saw a Egyptian mistreating a Hebrew he took matters into his own hands at that earlier time.
    David did plot Uriah's murder, but David did repent and thus was forgiven.
    Abraham and Isaac were showing their confidence in the Resurrection promise.
    They were so confident that Isaac would be returned to life 'at that time frame', and is why Abraham said the words found at Genesis 22:5.
    That he ( Abraham) and the lad (Isaac) would come again ( come back to the people after worship )
    This account is recorded for us because they knew about the physical earthly resurrection.
    Showing confidence in that resurrection is what was needed and why God stopped them from going through with killing Isaac.
    Only a physical earthly resurrection was offered to people up to the time of Christ - John 3:13.
    This is why Abraham and Isaac are part of the list found at Hebrews 11:17-19. They are awaiting that future earthly resurrection - Acts of the Apostles 24:15.

15. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,915
    There is a BIG difference I find between biblical hell ( the grave for the sleeping dead ) and the religious-myth hell of conscious burning forever.
    False clergy often teach a hell of fire but the Bible's hell is simply mankind's temporary stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead.
    Heaven is God's home for Himself and angelic life.
    Adam and his descendants were created to live on Earth. No earthly stepping stone to a heavenly realm.
    When Jesus entered the picture a heavenly hope was only offered to some people like those of Luke 22:28-30; Daniel 7:18.
    ALL the rest still sleep in death ( John 11:11-4; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5 )
    This is why the future tense is used at Acts 24:15 that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection.......

16. Fool

Fool ALL in all
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,854
    Religion:
    Light Impressed with Love
    enlightenment is heaven, the resurrection to eternal life at which time the end of time has come. Time is irrelevant in eternity. Hell is not waking up. Going to the grave in the grave

17. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,572
    Religion:
    agnostic
    Repentance is the means of resolving the dissonance between 'what I did' and 'what I should be'. A little like regaining your virginity, a delusion.

#37 Wandering Monk, Aug 3, 2020 at 8:50 PM
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 9:01 PM
  18. ecco

ecco Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,286
    Religion:
    atheist
    Cute.

However, the walkway would have been much more beautiful if the water bearer planted seeds on both sides and alternated the side on which he carried the cracked pot.