1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Is Religion Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Trip Bapho, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Reconciliation by Daniela Isache (Expressionism)

Ratings:
    +7,631
    Religion:
    Artist and Healer
    Let me ask. Why do some christians, especially on t.v. and movies, try to resolve and find historical proof of spiritual evidence through physical findings when it's based on belief and not facts?

2. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity holy roly poly
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,233
    Religion:
    Liberal Christian almost quaker
    Historically speaking, you don't seem to know how it works. I've never heard of a religion ending because of a failed prediction, and I challenge you to find an exception.

3. Trip Bapho

Trip Bapho Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Religion:
    Free Thinker
    But you know how it works? Wow I wish I had your knowledge. Super jelly.

4. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity holy roly poly

Ratings:
    +6,233
    Religion:
    Liberal Christian almost quaker
    It would be nice if you weren't making it up like you read it in a History book. All I ask for is an example to support your conclusion.

5. Trip Bapho

Trip Bapho Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Religion:
    Free Thinker
    IMO: The thought people will still believe in like a Jesus in 100,000 years seems ignorant to me. Glad you disagree. Maybe I'm the ignorant one.. Oh well. Nice chatting.

6. Woberts

Woberts The Perfumed Seneschal

Ratings:
    +1,487
    Religion:
    Lovecraftian Atheist
    Unequivocally, religion is one of the worst ideas ever put forth by the people of this Earth.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. FirstandAmistad

FirstandAmistad New Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Religion:
    Spiritual Agnostic with a bent towards a type of animistic/pagan thinking
    Humans have a natural tendency to be drawn towards spiritual beliefs and practices, and I don't think that we'll ever see human society without religion. Whether that's a good or bad thing is certainly up for debate. I know it's overplayed, but I do think that there's something to be said for spirituality vs religion. Religion usually points towards organized religion: doctrines, rites, taboos, etc. Spirituality is more an individual's personal, introspective experiences. Spirituality is always an aspect of religion, but religion is not always an aspect of spirituality. I believe that a personal spirituality can be very helpful for helping one to look inward and consider the universe around them in different ways, and can also help one to see that we are all connected beings that should be kinder to each other. Community and support are good aspects of religion. Deeply-held dogmas and organized endorsements of hateful thoughts and behaviors are negative aspects of religion.

Overall, I think we'd be a more interconnected, peaceful, and loving species without religion. But I have a lot of personal bias in that answer and there are way too many variables to really know if that would be true. Religion isn't going anywhere and it's not necessarily good or bad, and does a lot of both in the world. Things are very rarely black and white.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver

Ratings:
    +11,524
    Religion:
    Druidry

Pretty much this.

One might as well ask if humans are good or bad. It's very nearly the same question, considering all humans have religion (whether it is called such or not). Everybody tells narratives - sacred stories or things they consider truths - that orient them within the world and are an articulation of their personal or cultural values. Everyone engages with these narratives through action in some way or another, often through community or fellowship. It doesn't even matter if it is good or bad. It is simply a universal part of being human. We cannot help but to tell stories and engage with them in our communities.

9. ajay0

ajay0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +724
    Fire can be used for cooking food or for committing arson.

A knife can be used for cutting vegetables or for committing murder.

So you can see that it is the state of consciousness that matters.

As an ancient egyptian proverb goes, " The key to all problems is the problem of consciousness."

Awareness/Mindfulness or total love helps to bring about a higher state of consciousness that ensures the proper, positive use of everything. On the other hand,untamed desires and fears will bring about a lower state of consciousness that brings about an improper and negative use of everything.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Epic Beard Man

Epic Beard Man Bearded Philosopher

Ratings:
    +2,480
    Religion:
    One that which the Creator made
    Lack of education, ignorance, and extremism makes religion bad. Also, your fiancé's grandfather is wrong in Islam the end of the world comes after the battle with the anti-Christ when Jesus returns something both Muslims and Christians agree on.

#50 Epic Beard Man, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  11. Trip Bapho

Trip Bapho Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Religion:
    Free Thinker
    I'd tell em but he's actually dead. & IMO ignorance is to defend religion.

12. Trip Bapho

Trip Bapho Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Religion:
    Free Thinker
    I should have put he believed.. My bad.

13. Milton Platt

Milton Platt Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,942
    Religion:
    Atheist
    It does both of those things. Pretty much nothing is entirely good or entirely bad (well, there is fruit cake)
    The larges question is that if our beliefs inform our actions, should we be willing to hold unjustified beliefs?

14. DavidMcCann

DavidMcCann Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,282
    Religion:
    Hellenic Polytheist
    You pick the two most intolerant religions, Christianity and Islam. Then you pick the most intolerant branch of Islam and (quite probably, being Texas) a particularly intolerant branch of Christianity. Is it surprising that your experience of religion is one of intolerance?

15. Trip Bapho

Trip Bapho Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Religion:
    Free Thinker
    Obviously the extreme measures is why I made the point. Regardless of my experience they are real beliefs held by numerous people.

16. ajay0

ajay0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +724
    The aim of religion is to create a higher state of consciousness.

However fanatics, fraudsters and pseudo-scholars are making it a tool for creating a lower state of consciousness in human beings.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Trip Bapho

Trip Bapho Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Religion:
    Free Thinker
    Couldn't agree more!

18. DavidMcCann

DavidMcCann Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,282
    Religion:
    Hellenic Polytheist
    But it is a bit like quoting Stalin and Hitler and asking whether that proves that politics is evil!

19. Trip Bapho

Trip Bapho Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Religion:
    Free Thinker
    Not its not. Any Christian thinks Muslims are wrong. Any Muslim thinks Christians are wrong. That's separation. Love & Unity for all of mankind should be goal. Not debating if a guy fit a bunch of animals on a boat and such.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification

Ratings:
    +12,739
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    To use an example of particular significance for Americans, Scientology.

But also Heaven's Gate. Aum Shinrikyo. Rajneesh's Oregon Comune. Kardecist Spiritism. Islaam. Prosperity Theology.