• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Religion Child Abuse?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
A spin off of another thread I thought it would be interesting to discuss, without hijacking the thread. So what do you think? Is religion child abuse?

And go!

gnomon

Is religion child abuse? No. It's religion.

Can religion be a motivation or excuse to abuse children? Yes.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I think religion can turn into child abuse, depending how far you take it. I would certainly classify something like what is seen on "Jesus Camp" as child abuse. I think scaring your children into terrified submission with sin and hell is also abusive and damages their psyche.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I think religion can turn into child abuse, depending how far you take it. I would certainly classify something like what is seen on "Jesus Camp" as child abuse. I think scaring your children into terrified submission with sin and hell is also abusive and damages their psyche.
Feeding can turn into child abuse if it's taken too far. Doesn't make food bad.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
A spin off of another thread I thought it would be interesting to discuss, without hijacking the thread. So what do you think? Is religion child abuse?

And go!

I think the teaching of religious truths to children is a form of abuse. It's a coercion, and a blatant exploitation of their impressionability. Young children are at a critical age in development, and learn a lot about the world through the reliance on authority, be it their parents or teachers. I think its morally suspect in principle for those holding such responsibility to knowingly expose and reinforce these children to unjustified claims about reality. Its a further crime to teach them that such lies carry such weight ethically. As for content, need i say more than point out that ideas of hell to a child can be very real indeed, and can be very damaging seeds to plant so early on. There are just too many examples of people who have lives that have been totally ruined by the early introduction of religious truths.

Many places take the immorality of religious teaching to the next level. Certain 'Hell Houses' actively put the fear of hell into children to morally police them.

Children need to be taught about and exposed to world religions and differences in cultures, but not have to be subject to unjustified truth teaching.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

That doesn't make religion child abuse though. There is a difference between religion being child abuse, and some using religion as a means of child abuse.

At the same time, anything can basically turn to child abuse. Love can turn to child abuse if it goes to an extreme.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Religion is not in itself child abuse.

I wouldn't say the practice of teaching children religious values is child abuse, any more than teaching children cultural or political values as abuse (though I disagree with the practice in terms religious and political values: those are things they should be exposed to later, when they're much more able to discriminate.)

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
Where does enculturation end and unjustified truth teaching begin?

Good point. What i would say first is my gut feeling that any direct, or command like teaching of unjustified truths to a child, with the intent and purpose of them adopting the views without question is morally suspect. The adult in question, by engaging the child in education takes up the mantle of responsibility. I would describe these as 'major' impacts to the child. I think its qualitativley different to the more minor, numerous and unavoidable exposures a child has to the general culture he or she is growing up in. The nature of the culture itself might indeed be very religious, and in a way the child might be unfortunately indoctrinated in a more insidious way. Blame is harder to be handed out here, but i think that the society as a whole holds the responsibility for the effects on the child.

I think its important to not make a fallacy of false continuum when discussing this sort of thing. Because there is no clear line of distinction between two extremes, the distinction between them can still be meaningful. Take the example of someone becoming bald one hair at a time. At no specific point do they become bald, but there is a meaningful difference between bald and not bald. I think its somewhat similar here.

What do you think about it?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
What do you think about it?

I don't believe in truths as being 'out there'. I think our minds create 'truths' as they unfurl before us.
I think what is justified is overwhelmingly context dependant.
I don't think I could disentangle justified truth from enculturation.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
I don't believe in truths as being 'out there'. I think our minds create 'truths' as they unfurl before us.
I think what is justified is overwhelmingly context dependant.
I don't think I could disentangle justified truth from enculturation.

Ok i get u, but without diving deep into a philosophical grapple with the concept of truth, if we just look at it from a 21st century perspective, and in light of the evidence and reason we have, to teach, or rather, preach content that is completely affront to this, to impressionable children with the intention of blind acceptance, especially in scenarios where the content can be damaging (ideas of hell, anti homosexuality, and so on) is there no moral line being crossed? And is this not slightly different from other more passive examples of enculturation where its more observational, and less coerced and driven? Even if you see no difference, would that alter the moral character of such a specific, purposeful preaching to a child?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Ok i get u, but without diving deep into a philosophical grapple with the concept of truth, if we just look at it from a 21st century perspective, and in light of the evidence and reason we have, to teach, or rather, preach content that is completely affront to this, to impressionable children with the intention of blind acceptance, especially in scenarios where the content can be damaging (ideas of hell, anti homosexuality, and so on) is there no moral line being crossed? And is this not slightly different from other more passive examples of enculturation where its more observational, and less coerced and driven? Even if you see no difference, would that alter the moral character of such a specific, purposeful preaching to a child?

Such teaching wouldn't be appropriate to the context in which I live my life. But I imagine that if I were a Christian living in the bible belt my views about reality might be different.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Is religion child abuse? No. It's religion.

Can religion be a motivation or excuse to abuse children? Yes.

No. People can use religion as an excuse for many things, including child abuse. But that is the same for any organization.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I have four children, who are now grown. I raised them in a Christian home. However, I did not force dogma down their throats. What I did was raise them with basic principles, rooted in the main principle of "Love God and love your neighbor as yourself."

I also really pushed the concept of "Respect truth from any source."

Our family is multiracial. I think this perspective helped reinforce the concept of respect for different cultures, races, religions, etc.

As my children matured, I gave them tidbits of doctrine - as they were able to grasp that doctrine. What I mean by this is that I taught them the right action and reaction first and then as they were able to grasp deeper concepts, I taught them WHY I believe these actions are appropriate.

After all, you teach a child not to touch a hot stove before they are really able to understand how a stove works. In the same way, you teach a child to share their toys long before they can really grasp "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Any belief system, based in religion or not, can be abusive in it's application. The key, in my opinion, is to base all teachings to young children in mutual respect.

We have to first respect the child's own individuality and rights if we are going to teach them to respect those qualities in others.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Kathryn, at the risk of being overly intrusive, what diversity of beliefs eventually took hold with yer chirren?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
My kids are grown now, and all are Christians - but they encompass a pretty wide range of Christianity - from very liberal to very conservative.

One thing they have been consistent on is that they date (and so far, eventually marry) only those who share their Christian faith. However, none of them limit their friendships to Christians only. In fact, one thing I am very proud of when it comes to my kids is their very wide range of interests, and their acceptance, and even embracing of different cultures.

Without exception, all of them revel in the exploration of different beliefs, expressions, races and cultures.

I think it is interesting, considering this, that they have all embraced Christianity as their religion of choice. To be honest, I expected at least two of them to step off that path. Maybe they will in the future, but as each year passes, I see their individual Christian faiths mature and I think this becomes less likely.

However, they would all agree that their individual expressions of their faith differ widely - and they often debate theological points among themselves - and with me as well. I think that's very healthy.