1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Is religion based on fear? (not what you think)

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Segev Moran, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Evie

Evie Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Religion:
    BaHai
    Because technology such as the web is making it far easier for criminal activity. In every area of immoral and criminal behaviour; mankind is becoming more and more corrupt. But it is no use railing against it. Same as the fear of a nuclear war, no ridding the world of such things once in existence. Man is his own worst enemy.

2. Evie

Evie Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Religion:
    BaHai
    In the book. Darwin's Dangerous Idea on page 44 it states that If up for publication to-day, he would run into trouble with The Trades Description Act because of the title. 'The Origin of the Species'. It goes on to say, that even what is known now about genetics, the way in which species begin is a mystery. Even the brilliant physicist Hawkins admits that for the supposed Big Bang to occur, something had to be a source for it to occur. Something cannot come out of nothing. Where does that leave science?

3. Evie

Evie Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Religion:
    BaHai
    Ne
    Never going to happen as you would like. Unfortunately.

4. Stormcry

Stormcry Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +342
    Religion:
    Vaidika Dharma (Hinduism)
    There's a fear. The fear of losing oneself for eternity.

5. Kemosloby

Kemosloby Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,233
    Religion:
    Christian
    You're sounding a bit defensive. There is no proof that mankind and apes descended from a common ancestor. There is only a theory. Even if it was biologically possible, and the odds it happened naturally seem abundantly poor, it still doesn't mean it happened that way. For instance, it is possible that your mom and her dad could produce offspring, but it doesn't mean it happened that way.

6. paarsurrey

paarsurrey Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,200
    Science is a boon bestowed on human beings by God out of His mercy, so there is nothing to fear from science. God has put science in service of human beings in the physical and material realms. Rather we must thank God to put it in service of human beings . We must be careful however in use of it in the deeds detrimental to human welfare, lest we burn our fingers and the whole body attached . Right? Please
    Regards

7. Evie

Evie Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Religion:
    BaHai
    Humanity has gone too far on it's path of self- destruction in many many ways. Mankind will destroy itself. Is existing on borrowed time. Do I sound like the voice of doom? Sorry!! But facts are facts.

8. SomeRandom

SomeRandom Still learning to be wise
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,170
    Ahh the Amish. Of course. Good booze makers, though.

9. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,530
    Religion:
    Druidry
    I see very little indication of what the OP talks about in the mainstream religious communities of my country. Americans (by and large) are infatuated with technology and consuming it, in part because they've been manipulated into that attitude through capitalism, marketing, and cultural upbringing. All the while, the costs of that affluence are downplayed or ignored.

As for me? I would hardly say I have a fear of technology or of sciences. I love the sciences as a way of knowing, as I love the arts. Technology, however, I frequently despise, but only because humans have proven themselves incapable of doing anything other than abusing it.
    This view is a distinct minority, even within the nature-centered and animistic Pagan community. Still, it is not fear. It is sheer hatred. How anyone could not hate the means that engineered a sixth mass extinction and a geologic legacy of trash and garbage is honestly beyond my comprehension.

10. miodrag

miodrag Member

Ratings:
    +41
    May it be a fear of God, or fear of technology, or whatever - it is psychosis that is based on fear, not religion.

11. igno remos

igno remos New Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Religion:
    Agnostic-Atheist
    So Can we just keep the good and jetteson the bad and move on?

12. bobhikes

bobhikes AntiRepublican
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,542
    If it were only that easy, we are still human.

13. QuestioningMind

QuestioningMind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,176
    Religion:
    atheist
    Where does that leave science?

That leaves science doing exactly what it has always done, waiting for evidence before assigning a definitive explanation for anything. Thus far the evidence indicates that originally the universe existed as a singularity and that SOMETHING caused it to begin expanding. Theists are welcome to speculate that GOD DID IT! Science doesn't have that luxury. Science waits for verifiable evidence before reaching a conclusion. As long as verifiable evidence isn't found, it will remain an unanswered question among scientists.

14. QuestioningMind

QuestioningMind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,176
    Religion:
    atheist

There is only a theory.

It's ONLY a theory, huh? How sad that you don't have a clue what a scientific theory IS. Are you under to ridiculous impression that a scientific theory is just a guess? Do you think that the theory that the Earth orbits the sun is just a GUESS? A scientific theory is as close as science ever comes to stating that something is a FACT. A scientific theory is a hypothesis (an educated guess) that has been rigorously subjected to the scientific method and is backed up by evidence. A scientific theory is the best model science has for how a particular phenomenon works. There is currently more evidence to support the ToE than there is evidence to support the theory that the Earth orbits the sun. That you and others have chosen to ignore that mountains of evidence that the scientific method has revealed about the ToE is completely irrelevant.

15. Segev Moran

Segev Moran Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +471
    Religion:
    Wow
    Why would you say Psychosis?

16. Handyman355a

Handyman355a New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This is backward humans corrupt technology, just look at the many ways data is corrupted thru hacking malware and all creations of people. Technology supports the story of creation Moses and Jesus Christ

17. MrMrdevincamus

MrMrdevincamus Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter

Ratings:
    +257
    Religion:
    No longer a primitive Christian, now a evolved to plain vanilla Christian
    So far I have read replies 1 > 6 and I must say BRAVO! I am so proud of our members (that posted responses 1>6). I guess I was expecting far 'worse'.

18. MJFlores

MJFlores Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +415
    Religion:
    Iglesia Ni Cristo (Church of Christ)
    Maybe that would be true for the Amish in the US
    [​IMG]

The Amish (/ˈɑːmɪʃ/; Pennsylvania German: Amisch, German: Amische) are a group of traditionalist Christian church fellowships with Swiss Anabaptist origins. They are closely related to, but distinct from, Mennonite churches.

19. miodrag

miodrag Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Because it is a mental disorder. Any effect caused by fear other than a natural response to a threat is a mental disorder.

20. Segev Moran

Segev Moran Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +471
    Religion:
    Wow
    What does that mean?
    What do you mean "all creations of people"?
    And what data is corrupt?
    Can you please elaborate on that claim?