• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religion based on fear? (not what you think)

Segev Moran

My question is not if religion is based on "fear of god".
But if it is related to "fear" of technology and scientific advancements.

I've come across many religious people, that will argue that technology will corrupt humans.
The more "strict" the person was, usually the more emphasis this argue takes.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
In today's world its usually the older generation that will argue that technology will corrupt humans. I'm a software trained, pc and network trained electro-mechanical technician who is agnostic and have firmly argued that we would be better off without technology and that each technological advance creates more discord. My father who went to a seminary and is highly religious will argue vehemently against me and has more technology is his house than I do in mine.

So I guess I'm saying you can find fear or dislike of technology across all distinct groups and you can find support for it across all distinct groups.

For my part I'm a naturalist outside of work and I believe because of my work and understanding of the limits and faults in technology, I am strongly against most technological advances.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
You rarely hear religious people complaining about useful technologies. It's always the useless pseudo science portrayed as science for mysterious purposes, such as man coming from monkeys and Climate Change.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I've come across many religious people, that will argue that technology will corrupt humans.

Only religious I know, and I know a lot, that are not for techno advances are those who find these advances contrary to their faith. So if a Catholic finds a technology advance of how to perform abortions easily than before, they wouldn't support it. If they found advances that let us go further out in space outside of all the galaxies etc I don't see why that's to fear.

Technical and scientific advances doesn't clash with religious thought. Just some people feel that their religious thought clashes with some technical and scientific advances. Fear wouldn't be a good word, though. Probably annoyed and angry.

Segev Moran

In today's world its usually the older generation that will argue that technology will corrupt humans. I'm a software trained, pc and network trained electro-mechanical technician who is agnostic and have firmly argued that we would be better off without technology and that each technological advance creates more discord. My father who went to a seminary and is highly religious will argue vehemently against me and has more technology is his house than I do in mine.
Sounds like a great debate :)
So I guess I'm saying you can find fear or dislike of technology across all distinct groups and you can find support for it across all distinct groups.
I Agree.
But that's not what we need to check.
We need to check in each group, if the number of elders that believe technology is a "disaster" is the same to strict religious, modern religious and non-religious.

From my encounters, i can clearly say the percent of them out of the "strict" religious people is way higher than other groups.

So in a way i was asking people if this statistics is the same as they know it.
For my part I'm a naturalist outside of work and I believe because of my work and understanding of the limits and faults in technology, I am strongly against most technological advances.
Do you think we should "invest more" in religion or science when it comes to preventing such grim future for technology?

Segev Moran

You rarely hear religious people complaining about useful technologies. It's always the useless pseudo science portrayed as science for mysterious purposes, such as man coming from monkeys and Climate Change.
Also,
Can you give an example of non-useful technology?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Also,
Can you give an example of non-useful technology?

Well, one thing i notice is cloud technology. Computers are becoming for of a control device than giving people freedom to do what they want to do. Windows media player for example was awesome but now it's like they don't want you to use your CD's anymore, they want you to pay for streaming which could be gone in a poof. I am opposed to that with the Christian values that we're all supposed to be working towards goodness and love.

Segev Moran

Only religious I know, and I know a lot, that are not for techno advances are those who find these advances contrary to their faith. So if a Catholic finds a technology advance of how to perform abortions easily than before, they wouldn't support it. If they found advances that let us go further out in space outside of all the galaxies etc I don't see why that's to fear.
How many of them would you say were "strict"?
Technical and scientific advances doesn't clash with religious thought. Just some people feel that their religious thought clashes with some technical and scientific advances. Fear wouldn't be a good word, though. Probably annoyed and angry.
What do you mean angry?
Angry at who?

Segev Moran

I'm not clear. Can you give an example of an argument that says technology will corrupt humans?
sure.
It can be "We shouldn't waste time and money on exploring ways to prevent our existence from happening. God will keep us safe.
The more "stricly" religious the person, the more the belief that God is the answer rather than technology.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How many of them would you say were "strict"?

I haven't met a liberal Catholic. I live in a Catholic owned home, friends are Catholic, Catholic environment, in a Christian dominate area. Protestants are a bit more flexible here. I haven't met any that agreed with abortion. I used to chant with Buddhist friends and they are very social accepting to a lot of things.

What do you mean angry?

Every year the Catholic Church sets up abortion rallys on the main road near my home. You'll get fliers about god, family, and basically a lot of passive aggressiveness on people who are not Catholic and support abortion.

But fear, no. People may use fear to convert to a religion but I haven't known a Catholic nor Nichiren Buddhist (although both are quite evangelical) to bring people to their faith because their religion is based on fear. It their religion isn't about fear, but people use fear in the name of their religion.

If that at all makes sense.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

everything can be used for good or evil, even religion. if most of what a person does, is for self serving purposes, then it creates disparity, division, and difference. if it's done from a perspective of benefiting all, then it has a more holistic purpose.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
sure.
It can be "We shouldn't waste time and money on exploring ways to prevent our existence from happening. God will keep us safe.
That is not really technology corrupting humans but an attitude of doing nothing of our own volition to better the world because God will do it. I just haven't heard much of that attitude myself.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member

Religion is based on its ability to provide comfort and reassurance, no matter what their geneses may be. In times it may be fear of death, as during war, and at other times it may be anxiety or fear over an upcoming operation. And any fear will do. So, yes, it can very well be related to the fear of technology and scientific advancements, although I don't see this as being a very common fear. I'd say a fear of spiders far outranks it.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Sounds like a great debate :)

I Agree.
But that's not what we need to check.
We need to check in each group, if the number of elders that believe technology is a "disaster" is the same to strict religious, modern religious and non-religious.

From my encounters, i can clearly say the percent of them out of the "strict" religious people is way higher than other groups.

So in a way i was asking people if this statistics is the same as they know it.

Do you think we should "invest more" in religion or science when it comes to preventing such grim future for technology?

I think there are good and bad investments in both. Total immersion in religion will stagnate society and total immersion science will destroy society. They actually make good counters to each other. I look at it as Religion is the emotional side of us based on faith; while, science is the rational side of us based on truth. Both are parts of us so inherit our good and bad qualities.

Why would religion be based on fear of technology?

Would this also apply to ancient religion be based on people being afraid of the wheel, millstones, pulleys or irrigation?

There may be some statistical correlation between certain religious views and certain technologies that cause noticeable social changes, but even if that is true (which I have no evidence for either way) I'm not sure that counts as being 'based on'.

Many parts of the world are becoming more religiously conservative at the same time as becoming more educated and embracing modern technologies which may count against that idea though.

In general, religion is about meaning rather than fear though. All of us rely on ideological myths/narratives to explain the world and give it meaning. I find it curious that many atheists are so obsessed with religion being about fear (and ignorance). Suppose it best fits their narrative about how humans are 'supposed' to think.