• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Religion a basic human need ?

Neuropteron

John B. Noss suggest that man does not and cannot stand alone. He is vitally related to and even dependent on powers in nature and Society external to himself. Man's Religions

It seems that this premise could explain the reason for the proliferation of religions in the world, and is evidence of a deep seated requirement of human to worship a higher power.

Could it be said then, that religion satisfies a basic human need? That it is comparable to food and water in that it is subject to a similar drive to be fulfilled ?

Possibly, Jesus words are a good reason to view this premise as valid:
"My food is for me to do the will of him that send me..." John 4:34
The Apostle Paul compared spiritual knowledge as food:" ...solid food belongs to mature people..." Heb 5:14

Even those that reject a divinity have some type of belief.
Although vehemently rejected by followers, Evolution is aptly demonstrated to be a belief with all the hallmark of a religion. (Evolution Is Religion--Not Science).

It's interesting that there are words for a person with no affiliation to a religion or for a person that does not believe in God, but there are no words for a person without a belief.(to my knowledge)
Additionally, even a furtive glance at the definition of "belief" shows that it has all the signs of being closely related to religion.

Contrary to animals, everybody has an inbuilt requirement to believe in something higher than themselves.
Of course there is always someone declaring that he believes only in himself. At best that belief is ephemeral and subject to a rude awakening to reality.

Is it possible that our creator made us with a need to believe in him ?

epronovost

John B. Noss suggest that man does not and cannot stand alone. He is vitally related to and even dependent on powers in nature and Society external to himself. Man's Religions

It seems that this premise could explain the reason for the proliferation of religions in the world, and is evidence of a deep seated requirement of human to worship a higher power.

That's entirely possible than there is something in human nature that makes it so that superstitious beliefs and ritualistic traditions are, to a large extend, inevitable.

Could it be said then, that religion satisfies a basic human need? That it is comparable to food and water in that it is subject to a similar drive to be fulfilled ?

It's not comparable to primary physical and psychological needs like affection, validation, community support, water, food, clothing, shelter, healthcare, etc. But it's definitely there with important human needs like freedom, personal property, political representation, due process, entertainment, education.

You can't die or wither without religion. There are plenty of atheists out there or apatheists for whom adhesion to religious belief is basically purely based on social convention.

Although vehemently rejected by followers, Evolution is aptly demonstrated to be a belief with all the hallmark of a religion. (Evolution Is Religion--Not Science).

That's simply false. The article you quoted is filled with errors and lies.

Contrary to animals, everybody has an inbuilt requirement to believe in something higher than themselves. Of course there is always someone declaring that he believes only in himself. At best that belief is ephemeral and subject to a rude awakening to reality.

That's also demonstrably false. There are people who don't believe in something higher than themselves. In fact, its a central premise of several religious faith.

Deidre

Maybe not religion, per se, but I think there is a basic (innate maybe) human desire to wonder why we're ''here,'' and what we've been created for. In that lies individual journeys that may or may not lead to religion, but it leads to desiring a deeper connection to others, and often to a higher power for some.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
For some people, maybe.

For me, I've actually derived much more satisfaction in contemplating and practicing spiritual concepts in a much more personal, solitary way. Also, in removing a focal "godhead" (or higher power) from my worldview, it's made for a much less complicated way of life. I much prefer it over my days of being part of a religious community. :)

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

The Apostle Paul compared spiritual knowledge as food:" ...solid food belongs to mature people..." Heb 5:14

It's interesting that there are words for a person with no affiliation to a religion or for a person that does not believe in God, but there are no words for a person without a belief.(to my knowledge)
Additionally, even a furtive glance at the definition of "belief" shows that it has all the signs of being closely related to religion.

Contrary to animals, everybody has an inbuilt requirement to believe in something higher than themselves.
Of course there is always someone declaring that he believes only in himself. At best that belief is ephemeral and subject to a rude awakening to reality.

Humans have evolved to respect authority and be loyal to the group. These qualities are vital for cooperation, and cooperation is what humans do best for survival.

Group identity is part of that, and includes having in common with your group the same language, customs, stories and heroes. It may be that religion is an evolved instinct, or an artifact of some other instinct, such as the human trait of instantly supposing explanations for unexplained occurrences and phenomena, not least such riddles as weather, famine, good and bad luck, fertility, birth and death.

Unlike Mr Noss, I regard the huge variety of supernatural beings which humans have devised as evidence of their invented status, their storyteller's origins. If there were a supernatural world, and if it housed supernatural beings, then we'd expect the reports of that world to be consistent across the world's cultures. Instead there are as many versions as cultures.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Maybe not religion, per se, but I think there is a basic (innate maybe) human desire to wonder why we're ''here,'' and what we've been created for. In that lies individual journeys that may or may not lead to religion, but it leads to desiring a deeper connection to others, and often to a higher power for some.

I like the way you stated that. I agree.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't think so. If it's innate how would people define it if they were never introduced to the concept of a higher power?

Even when I was catholic briefly I never saw God as anything higher, grand, or authoritative. If it's inmate, what's the common denominator?

I don't believe I'm the only one out of the loop, but I'd think if it's innate we would all have some common thread.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

I believe we are spiritual beings so we cannot be happy just with material things alone.
Things of the spirit are love, justice, truth, equality, unity, harmony, friendship etc. we cannot do without things like love and be mentally healthy or happy. So if the spiritual part of us gets neglected then we see things like wars, prejudice,unhappiness, greed and depression everywhere.

I believe only turning to God and obeying His laws can hope to fully restore our spiritual health and change this world into a paradise.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Is it possible we invented a "creator" because we need to believe in something?

In Maslow's (original) pyramid of needs there is no religion but there is belonging. That need can be filled with membership in a rabbit breeders club as well as a religion.

Vee

Premium Member
Since humans are social creatures, practicing a religion together is something that has always either united or divided people, depending on their beliefs.
I think most of us ask those very existential questions like "where did we come from" and "what is the meaning of life". It's only natural to want to know more about our own existence and the entity that made us happen.
Is it a need? Maybe not for everyone, but for many of us. It is true that belonging to a religious group can bring a lot of joy. I'm lucky to be surrounded by good people that I can count on and that can count on me, that are like family to me and I'm grateful for that every day.

RestlessSoul

I personally identify with the statement "man does not and cannot stand alone". That is absolutely true for me, though clearly not for everyone.

I cannot accept that life is "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing". For me, there has to be weight, and depth, and meaning to our existence. I choose to believe (yes, we can choose) in a loving creator who is infinite justice, mercy and love, because without that creator's help, life is just too difficult, frankly.

To some, this will look like weakness. To which I reply, yes, I am human, and left to my own devices I am sometimes weak and afraid. But though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

I think it is a need to believe in something. In principles. Which do not necessarily imply the existence of a deity.
I do believe pets do have a religion. They believe their owners are their gods. Not all pets...of course.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Of course.

The question then becomes, where does the need come from? And why deny yourself something you need (as opposed to merely want)?

We evolved to be superstitious, it was good for our survival when we were still australopithecines in the African savannah. It isn't needed any more today but since it isn't high cost to keep, it didn't Mendel out - yet. There are mutants (like me) who are borne with less superstitious brains and we will eventually take over.

RestlessSoul

We evolved to be superstitious, it was good for our survival when we were still australopithecines in the African savannah. It isn't needed any more today but since it isn't high cost to keep, it didn't Mendel out - yet. There are mutants (like me) who are borne with less superstitious brains and we will eventually take over.

I can't play the video I'm afraid.

What's going to happen to the rest of us, when you more highly evolved specimens take over?

John1.12

Free gift

Religion is the devils tool .