• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Receiving "Holy Eucharist" a God Given Right ?

Hold

Day Dreamer
Premium Member
I maintain that receiving the Eucharist (according to Catholic Tradition) is a God given right. I have been told there are no God given rights that Catholic Faithful can claim.....As I understand it, Jesus instituted the "Holy Eucharist" at the Last Supper. The institution of this Sacrament predates even the establishment of Christianity. Reading the history of Christianity supports my understanding that Peter and the Apostles were Jews that preferred to remain a part of Judaism after the death and Resurrection of the Christ....It was Jewish Authorities that decided these followers of Jesus would no longer be able to claim affiliation with Judaism. It was then that the Christians established an independent religion. Since Catholics support the belief that Jesus was both God and Man then it follows they should also believe that Jesus Christ was God when He instituted the "Holy Eucharist". Therefore Catholics, by their belief, can claim receiving the Eucharist is a 'God given Right' providing they are 'in the State of Grace' (free from sin).......Criticisms, opinions and confirmations are invited...

KW

I maintain that receiving the Eucharist (according to Catholic Tradition) is a God given right. I have been told there are no God given rights that Catholic Faithful can claim.....As I understand it, Jesus instituted the "Holy Eucharist" at the Last Supper. The institution of this Sacrament predates even the establishment of Christianity. Reading the history of Christianity supports my understanding that Peter and the Apostles were Jews that preferred to remain a part of Judaism after the death and Resurrection of the Christ....It was Jewish Authorities that decided these followers of Jesus would no longer be able to claim affiliation with Judaism. It was then that the Christians established an independent religion. Since Catholics support the belief that Jesus was both God and Man then it follows they should also believe that Jesus Christ was God when He instituted the "Holy Eucharist". Therefore Catholics, by their belief, can claim receiving the Eucharist is a 'God given Right' providing they are 'in the State of Grace' (free from sin).......Criticisms, opinions and confirmations are invited...

For the good of those receiving communion, the church requires that parishioners be in a state of grace before receiving Christ in the Eucharist.

1Cor 11
27So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.

Hold

Day Dreamer
Premium Member
For the good of those receiving communion, the church requires that parishioners be in a state of grace before receiving Christ in the Eucharist.

1Cor 11
27So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.
t
First, this thread was placed in debates according to the judgement of staff. Second, I believe my post already stated that receiving the Eucharist depended on being free of sin......that implies that one has to be in the state of grace before they receive this sacrament. Third, thank you for your response...

KW

t
First, this thread was placed in debates according to the judgement of staff. Second, I believe my post already stated that receiving the Eucharist depended on being free of sin......that implies that one has to be in the state of grace before they receive this sacrament. Third, thank you for replying

So you agree that the Church should withhold communion from those not in a state of grace?

Hold

Day Dreamer
Premium Member
So you agree that the Church should withhold communion from those not in a state of grace?
I am posting what I believe are the beliefs of catholics. Any church can restrict what that church decides is within it's best interest, right or wrong... My way of thinking is not part of this exercise..

Last edited:

KW

I am posting what I believe are the beliefs of catholics. Any church can restrict what that church decides is within it's best interest, right or wrong. Personally, my way of thinking is not part of this exercise..

You said you are posting what you believe.

I'm trying to figure out if you are a practicing Catholic who follows church teaching to the best of your ability.

Do you agree that the Church should withhold communion from those not in a state of grace?

Hold

Day Dreamer
Premium Member
You said you are posting what you believe.

I'm trying to figure out if you are a practicing Catholic who follows church teaching to the best of your ability.

Do you agree that the Church should withhold communion from those not in a state of grace?
Reread the OP. The question is; Can Catholics correctly claim that receiving the Eucharist is a God given right?. I am posting what I have observed as Traditional Catholic teachings. You need not know anything about the poster's personal beliefs. Address the OP to the best of your ability without intimating that you need know what sins I may be committing. I did not volunteer this discussion be held in debates, I only want the opinion of Christians on the OP.

KW

Reread the OP. The question is; Can Catholics correctly claim that receiving the Eucharist is a God given right?. I am posting what I have observed as Traditional Catholic teachings. You need not know anything about the postere 's personal beliefs. Address the OP to the best of your ability without intimating that you need know what sins I may be committing. I didn't not volunteer this discussion be held in debates, I only want the opinion of

I think it is a gift of grace. However, Jesus gave the Church the authority to forgive sins or withhold forgiveness. I don't think you can say it is a right.

epronovost

From what I could find, the Catholic Church will offer the eucharist to basically anyone who demands it and is baptized. Their personal morality or lifestyle is of no consequences. After all, prisoners and criminals can receive this from prison should they wish to.

I don't think it could be qualified as a right though. The Catholic Church as we know it is mostly a medieval institution. It qualify it as a grace, a generosity from God/Christ. Humans, in a Catholic worldview don't have anything resembling rights. Anything they have or can aspire to is down to God's grace and generosity. There is no "social contract" between the clergy and its flock.

Hold

Day Dreamer
Premium Member
I think it is a gift of grace. However, Jesus gave the Church the authority to forgive sins or withhold forgiveness. I don't think you can say it is a right.
Thank you for your response.

KW

From what I could find, the Catholic Church will offer the eucharist to basically anyone who demands it and is baptized. Their personal morality or lifestyle is of no consequences. After all, prisoners and criminals can receive this from prison should they wish to.

I don't think it could be qualified as a right though. The Catholic Church as we know it is mostly a medieval institution. It qualify it as a grace, a generosity from God/Christ. Humans, in a Catholic worldview don't have anything resembling rights. Anything they have or can aspire to is down to God's grace and generosity. There is no "social contract" between the clergy and its flock.

This is a load of Catholic bashing garbage.

Hold

Day Dreamer
Premium Member

The OP suggests the 'Right' is bestowed on the individual Faithful. The Church makes the claim that they decide who they will offer the sacrament to. In reality that may be so. However, any Faithful can find a way to receive the Eucharist even without church approval, as long as they feel justified.

epronovost

This is a load of Catholic bashing garbage.

I'm sorry it hurts your feelings, but the Catholic Church isn't a democratic institution. The Pope nor the bishops nor the priesthood itself derives their authority and power from the consent of the people outside the clergy itself. Hell, for centuries the Catholic Church held to the doctrine of Papal infallibility. No the Catholic Church doesn't support a worldview based on human rights, at least not in the sense we use today or derived from the Enlightenment era. Catholics absolutely believe in rights and human rights and social contracts, but there is a difference between Catholics, including clergy members, and the institution that is the Catholic Church.

Last edited:

epronovost

However, any Faithful can find a way to receive the Eucharist even without church approval, as long as they feel justified.

Well to receive the Eucharist within the Catholic Church, a fully ordained priest must perform the ritual so in essence that's the approval. Technically, the Catholic Church can annul Eucharists or even baptism through processes of excommunication, but that hasn't been practice officially in decades if not centuries.

Hold

Day Dreamer
Premium Member
Well to receive the Eucharist within the Catholic Church, a fully ordained priest must perform the ritual so in essence that's the approval. Technically, the Catholic Church can annul Eucharists or even baptism through processes of excommunication, but that hasn't been practice officially in decades if not centuries.
Thank you for your response..