• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is reality a game?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Question: To what extent is reality a game?

Basically: Is life a great big RPG, a "Role Playing Game"?

Reality is not a computer simulation. I am fairly sure of that.

Although I did used to believe that it is.

But it is very much like one.

Except for the part about computers.

I find it helpful to think of reality as being like a game.

There are rules and objectives.

And other participants who may be allies or enemies.

And you have a sophisticated character development system and can level up with experience points!

But the thing is, it is hard to discern the rules and objectives.

Personally, I use The Bible to guide and inspire me through life

Is there a score being kept?

I don’t know. Maybe some kind of karmic credit rating? I don't know.

As a Christian, I suspect that the aim of the game is to accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour but maybe there are other ways to win?

I am beginning to suspect that there are both players who play the game and non-player characters (NPCs) who are a part of the game as opposed to players. But there is no way to distinguish between these two groups, hence it is best to treat all humans as though they are fellow players.

Perhaps it is more of an elaborate test than a game?

What if Planet Earth is one of many levels we must all go through?

I don’t know.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The reason why life seems like an RPG is because RPGs tap into some things about life.

So oftentimes when a person uses an analogy that life is like a RPG, they seem to be describing it as "rigid" and people as "predictable".

Unless I'm mistaken.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
they seem to be describing it as "rigid" and people as "predictable".
I think reality is like a game but I don't find it rigid or predictable, far from it

If reality is like a game then I think it's like a very loose and open-ended one, which allows a great scope for creativity and self-expression

Unless of course you are living in an awful part of the world or are somehow disadvantaged

Heyo

Veteran Member
Question: To what extent is reality a game?

Basically: Is life a great big RPG, a "Role Playing Game"?

Reality is not a computer simulation. I am fairly sure of that.

Although I did used to believe that it is.

But it is very much like one.

Except for the part about computers.

I find it helpful to think of reality as being like a game.

There are rules and objectives.

And other participants who may be allies or enemies.

And you have a sophisticated character development system and can level up with experience points!

But the thing is, it is hard to discern the rules and objectives.

Personally, I use The Bible to guide and inspire me through life

Is there a score being kept?

I don’t know. Maybe some kind of karmic credit rating? I don't know.

As a Christian, I suspect that the aim of the game is to accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour but maybe there are other ways to win?

I am beginning to suspect that there are both players who play the game and non-player characters (NPCs) who are a part of the game as opposed to players. But there is no way to distinguish between these two groups, hence it is best to treat all humans as though they are fellow players.

I don’t know.
A game is very similar to a simulation. In a simulation, the "world" is closed, no external influences. In a game, entities from outside the simulated world can interact with it. If you believe in a "soul" or something alike that controls your character (body) and can return to the "outside" of our world, you are in a game.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I think reality is like a game but I don't find it rigid or predictable, far from it

If reality is like a game then I think it's like a very loose and open-ended one, which allows a great scope for creativity and self-expression

Unless of course you are living in an awful part of the world or are somehow disadvantaged

Life is like a game because a lot of games have elements of life to them.

And life's not really rigid or predictable most of the time. But when most people, not necessarily yourself, call life like an RPG, I think that's what they're saying. But it depends on the context.

I know, or at least have an idea, because I once said on this forum that "Life is sometimes like an RPG" when talking to one or two other like-minded people about it. Due to some specific life situations seeming rigid and predictable.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
All the world's indeed a stage
And we are merely players
Performers and portrayers
Each another's audience
Outside the gilded cage.

Limelight ~ Rush

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I find it helpful to think of reality as being like a game. There are rules and objectives. And other participants who may be allies or enemies. And you have a sophisticated character development system and can level up with experience points! But the thing is, it is hard to discern the rules and objectives.

That's pretty close to the mathematical definition of a game, which is not the same as a diversion like checkers, but any situation in which the choices of oneself and those of others effect outcomes favorably or unfavorably:

Useful Terms in Game Theory

Any time we have a situation with two or more players that involve known payouts or quantifiable consequences, we can use game theory to help determine the most likely outcomes. Let's start by defining a few terms commonly used in the study of game theory:
  • Game: Any set of circumstances that has a result dependent on the actions of two or more decision-makers (players)
  • Players: A strategic decision-maker within the context of the game
  • Strategy: A complete plan of action a player will take given the set of circumstances that might arise within the game
  • Payoff: The payout a player receives from arriving at a particular outcome (The payout can be in any quantifiable form, from dollars to utility.)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Dude, if real life was an RPG I would absolutely not be wearing the boring crap I wear everyday. The entire point of an RPG is to be someone other than yourself. So no, real life is definitely not an RPG. Unless, possibly, you are a professional actor.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
  • Game: Any set of circumstances that has a result dependent on the actions of two or more decision-makers (players)
  • Players: A strategic decision-maker within the context of the game
  • Strategy: A complete plan of action a player will take given the set of circumstances that might arise within the game
  • Payoff: The payout a player receives from arriving at a particular outcome (The payout can be in any quantifiable form, from dollars to utility.)
If these are the criteria that make a thing a game then I think reality is very much like a game

Nimos

I don’t know.
For anyone that has played RPGs, it is not a silly thought, but I think the logical way to look at it is the other way around and that RPGs are created to simplify reality so it fits into that of a game.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It's more of a test

Passing it is both the reward and the aim

Not accumulating stuff
That doesn't really fit the definition of a game in game theory, though it is compatible with a colloquial view.

Heyo

Veteran Member
But does a game have to be competitive?

What if the game is cooperative?

What if participants play against the game rather than against each other?
Then "the game" would be considered a player.