• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Ragnorak the end ?

Absolute Zero

fon memories
After Ragnorak will that be it or will the entire cycle restart again ? If so does it not make the past actions/events leading up to the previous Ragnorak pointless ?

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Given that Balder is 'held in reserve' in the manner he is, it appears to be the end of one Cycle and the start of another, so complete that its wyrd cannot be known by the Gods today. And IO don't think this somehow makes our actions pointless; we mortal spirits still make the bulk of the fighters on that day. Everything we do affects what comes, and what comes beyond that as well.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Sure. Balder's assassination by Loki [via trickery] was something the Gods mourned, but Odin was aware and he is a long-planner. By allowing Balder to perish, Balder winds up safe as it were, in Hel, where he is preserved to emerge as the leader God, once the danger of Ragnarok is passed. The souls in Hel and Valhol come out for the battle; Hel itself is not involved territory, so Balder will remain in a kind of haven from the chaos, and come out afterward to act in his father's former place, for the next Age.

Last edited:

Shuddhasattva

Very interesting... So is Hel sort of a 'germ-realm' from which the rest of the universe dissolves in, and proceeds from, with the presiding deity of Hel passing from father to son every cycle, with the essential Odin, as the 'all-father' being the ultimate presiding presence?

Please feel free to let me know straight up that I'm interpreting this through my own errant lens if that's the case.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
In what way? It has not yet occurred, and if there was an age before Ginnungagap, we have no idea what happened then.

Absolute Zero

fon memories
Isnt it an endless cycle of fighting and death ? You said that Balder will take Odins place right ? Will the same events albiet diffrent transpire again ?

Orias

Left Hand Path
Sure. Balder's assassination by Loki [via trickery] was something the Gods mourned, but Odin was aware and he is a long-planner. By allowing Balder to perish, Balder winds up safe as it were, in Hel, where he is preserved to emerge as the leader God, once the danger of Ragnarok is passed. The souls in Hel and Valhol come out for the battle; Hel itself is not involved territory, so Balder will remain in a kind of haven from the chaos, and come out afterward to act in his father's former place, for the next Age.

Reminds me of Jesus.

And I think Surtr and Frejya play a larger role, concerning the end of times. But I'm a bit rusty in explaining all of that :D

Orias

Left Hand Path
Indeed, but I find the story very interesting.

Though my understanding in large, comes from Amon Amarth songs and wikipedia articles.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
As I understand it Ragnorak will be initiated by the Fenris wolf (the Powers of Darkness) sundering the bonds of Gleipnir, hence, freeing him to ravage the Earth and exact his revenge upon the gods.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Then spake Gangleri: "Shall any of the gods live then, or shall there be then any earth or heaven?" Hárr answered: "In that time the earth shall emerge out of the sea, and shall then be green and fair; then shall the fruits of it be brought forth unsown. Vídarr and Váli shall be living, inasmuch as neither sea nor the fire of Surtr shall have harmed them; and they shall dwell at Ida-Plain, where Ásgard was before. And then the sons of Thor, Módi and Magni, shall come there, and they shall have Mjöllnir there. After that Baldr shall come thither, and Hödr, from Hel; then all shall sit down together and hold speech. with one another, and call to mind their secret wisdom, and speak of those happenings which have been before: of the Midgard Serpent and of Fenris-Wolf. Then they shall find in the grass those golden chess-pieces which the Æsir had had; thus is it said:

In the deities' shrines | shall dwell Vídarr and Váli,
When the Fire of Surtr is slackened;
Módi and Magni | shall have Mjöllnir
At the ceasing of Thor's strife.

In the place called Hoddmímir's Holt there shall lie hidden during the Fire of Surtr two of mankind, who are called thus: Líf and Lífthrasir, and for food they shall have the morning-dews. From these folk shall come so numerous an offspring that all the world shall be peopled, even as is said here:
Líf and Lífthrasir, | these shall lurk hidden
In the Holt of Hoddmímir;
The morning dews | their meat shall be;
Thence are gendered the generations.
And it may seem wonderful to thee, that the sun shall have borne a daughter not less fair than herself; and the daughter shall then tread in the steps of her mother, as is said here:

The Elfin-beam | shall bear a daughter,
Ere Fenris drags her forth;
That maid shall go, | when the great gods die,
To ride her mother's road.
Gylfaginning XLI-LIV

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Well hey! There are some excellent Norse references by Manowar, and I love em, for me their issue is correct grammar and a few lore errors.