• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is race a choice?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Sola'lor:

I'm not sure how we'll get through to you, but the fact is that race is a socially derived trait. Race only exists because we say it does. For example, in the past, Jews were not considered part of the "white race." Now, they are. How do you explain that change? Did their skin color change? Did their genes change? No. The social context of their existence in America changed. They went from being outsiders to insiders and with that social shift came the shift in race.

Oh I don't dispute that. I agree with you. But there is also genetic differences that are common. Such as skin color, hair color, eye color, etc. These genetics determine a persons race. What we call these races(Black, white, hispanic) are made up by us. But regardless of what we call them the genetic variations of race still exist.

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
Even Germans and Canadians are considered Americans.

Hey Joe! Americano! Up Here!

What I mean is that if a white american goes to the Phillipines, they will be considered americans not Filipino. When people look at me, they ask me if I am Korean, Indian, chinese, or Filipina. I am not considered a short, tanned american. I may be an american citizen, but I am still a flipjap in blood.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Oh I don't dispute that. I agree with you. But there is also genetic differences that are common. Such as skin color, hair color, eye color, etc. These genetics determine a persons race. What we call these races(Black, white, hispanic) are made up by us. But regardless of what we call them the genetic variations of race still exist.
The genetic differences between any two humans is less than one percent of one percent.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
What I mean is that if a white american goes to the Phillipines, they will be considered americans not Filipino. When people look at me, they ask me if I am Korean, Indian, chinese, or Filipina. I am not considered a short, tanned american. I may be an american citizen, but I am still a flipjap in blood.

I know. I knew a couple white Filipinos when I was there. I was just making a small joke about the tendency of young filipinos to yell at people with lighter skin. I remember walking down the street when suddenly a herd of little kids would crowd around us wanting high fives and yelling, 'Hey Joe!'

FlipJap, I haven't heard that one very often.

nutshell

Are you asserting that genetic variation = race? If so, then you're incorrect.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Why would you want to be a tall Filipino? What makes you want to change your race?
If you move to the Phillippines, you will be considered an American. You can speak their language and eat their food, but you will still be considered an American.
I can cook really good adobo and siopao. I love jackfruit and rambutan and lanzones and even durian. I think jeeneys are the coolest thing on 4 wheels. I own 5 barongs. I love warm weather and when I retire I want to live in the Philippines. I still need to learn Tagalog. It's no big deal if I can't change my race, but when my wife called me a big white filipino it got me thinking.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Groups with genetic similarities are biological. The fact that we call it 'race' is because society says so. But these genetically similar groups exist regardless of wether we acknowledge it or what we call it. If we choose to classify people by skin color, hair color, nose shape or whatever, that is made up by society. But the similar genetic groups (what I consider to be race) exist regardless of what classification system society uses.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I can cook really good adobo and siopao. I love jackfruit and rambutan and lanzones and even durian. I think jeeneys are the coolest thing on 4 wheels. I own 5 barongs. I love warm weather and when I retire I want to live in the Philippines. I still need to learn Tagalog. It's no big deal if I can't change my race, but when my wife called me a big white filipino it got me thinking.

Mmmmmmm! Jackfruit!!! I love Pansit. I also like the shotgun wielding guards at McDonalds and National Bookstore.

How many people can fit into a Jeepney?

nutshell

Groups with genetic similarities are biological. The fact that we call it 'race' is because society says so. But these genetically similar groups exist regardless of wether we acknowledge it or what we call it. If we choose to classify people by skin color, hair color, nose shape or whatever, that is made up by society. But the similar genetic groups (what I consider to be race) exist regardless of what classification system society uses.

It only exists because society says so. It's completely arbitrary.