• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is race a choice?

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
If race has no biological basis, can I just choose to be a different one? Can I just decide that from now on I'm a tall Filipino? Can race be chosen by the individual or does society have to determine my race?

Draka

Wonder Woman
If race had no biological basis then it wouldn't be race. Race can be defined with biological basis. How would you define race without it?

nutshell

From the Census Bureau:

Question: How does the Census Bureau define race and ethnicity?

Answer: Census Bureau complies with the Office of Management and Budget's standards for maintaining, collecting, and presenting data on race, which were revised in October 1997. They generally reflect a social definition of race recognized in this country. They do not conform to any biological, anthropological or genetic criteria.

In accordance with the Office of Management and Budget definition of ethnicity, the Census Bureau provides data for the basic categories in the OMB standards: Hispanic or Latino and Not Hispanic or Latino. In general, the Census Bureau defines ethnicity or origin as the heritage, nationality group, lineage, or country of birth of the person or the person 's parents or ancestors before their arrival in the United States. People who identify their origin as Spanish, Hispanic, or Latino may be of any race. According to the revised Office of Management and Budget standards noted above, race is considered a separate concept from Hispanic origin (ethnicity) and, wherever possible, separate questions should be asked on each concept.

Questions and Answers for Census 2000 Data on Race

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I found a good article on PBS.org that explains alot of it.

Scientists have actually been saying for quite a while that race, as biology, doesn't exist - that there's no biological basis for race. And that is in the facts of biology, the facts of non-concordance, the facts of continuous variation, the recentness of our evolution, the way that we all commingle and come together, how genes flow, and perhaps especially in the fact that most variation occurs within race versus between races or among races, suggesting that there's no generalizability to race.
Basically, race is a product of culture, not biology.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
When you fill out the census form, what is to stop you from checking any box you like? Has there ever been any challenges?

Fluffy

A fool
There is no biological definition of race. On census forms, you can identify with whatever race you want to.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
If that it so, then why do always put race on applications? I don't usually answer since I am of mixed race. (1/2 "white" and 1/2 Native American).

Somkid

Race absolutely has a biological basis my DNA is Caucasian and my wifes DNA is Asian that can not be changed (not yet anyway). Nationality on the other hand can be changed, I know a lot of "white guys" that have become Thai citizens and I know a lot of Thai people that have become citizens of Western nations.

Anti-World

Ya, it's being ignored. Race is biological, though a persons mannerisms could be changed by moving into a different culture.

nutshell

Ya, it's being ignored. Race is biological, though a persons mannerisms could be changed by moving into a different culture.

I've provided evidence to back up that race is NOT biological.

Where are your sources?

Obviously, the term "race" is generally misunderstood and applied.

Has anyone considered discrimination laws, which include both "race" and "color of skin"??? Obviously, they're different.

Somkid

I see what your saying nutshell and I do agree with you that many if not most people see race as culture, color, even religion. I don't think that is very scientific and I have always said I was color blind because its not an issue to me. By your terms I guess I am Asian maybe 50% Chinese and 50% Thai, my religion is Chinese, my current language is Thai as is my current culture, I only eat Thai and Chinese food in general and all of my friends are Thai and Chinese I only know a family from Canada that are visiting my neighbor for a month other than that I haven't had a conversation with a Westerner in maybe 3 years (face to face that is). In fact maybe I have become prejudice against white people as I tend to go out of my way to avoid having to speak with them.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Race absolutely has a biological basis my DNA is Caucasian and my wifes DNA is Asian that can not be changed (not yet anyway). Nationality on the other hand can be changed, I know a lot of "white guys" that have become Thai citizens and I know a lot of Thai people that have become citizens of Western nations.
What if scientists could find greater genetic differences between me and another white guy than they can between me and you? What would that mean?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I don't see how race isn't biological. If race isn;t biological then there would be no reason the child of two darker skinned people would be darker skinned. Skin color is definatly genetic. Eye color is too. Height, hair color, and all those other things are genetic as well.

Ethnicity, and culture aren't genetic. So you can choose your ethnic group and your culture but you can't choose your race.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Ethnicity, and culture aren't genetic. So you can choose your ethnic group and your culture but you can't choose your race.
True, you can't choose your race. You can only choose other peoples' race. What relevance is "skin color" to anything other than the nasty habit we've developed of grouping people according to it? Why not eye color, hair color, foot size, etc.? - these are all hereditary too. Consider carefully why it is skin color, from where the significance of that distriction comes, and when and where it began.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I don't see how race isn't biological. If race isn;t biological then there would be no reason the child of two darker skinned people would be darker skinned. Skin color is definatly genetic. Eye color is too. Height, hair color, and all those other things are genetic as well.

Please see posts #4, #5, and #6.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There is a gene that determines whether your ear wax is soft or hard. Why not divide people into two races then -- those with soft ear war and those with hard ear wax? It might sound arbitrary, but it is no less arbitrary than dividing people into races based on skin color and other superficial characteristics.