• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is public nudity ok?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Sure it is. It's completely natural, and if people grew up accepting that, we'd have far less problems with insecurity and self-esteem.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Depends. What kind of nudity you talking about? A women nursing her newborn in public is considered by some to be nudity, and discourage women from doing this. Which I think is insane. However, I don't really want to see Uncle George walking his nude 300 lbs around town either. So I think it's a fine line, we should loosen up about it, but use common sense too.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
No. I don't care if people walk around there houses in the buff. But I don't need to see that. Especially if someone is getting a sexual thrill off it. That's sick. Besides, that would just encourage people to act like idiots more often in public.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Actually, no. All of the native tribes who were generally nude didn't go around sporting all day erections. They accepted it, and it didn't give them any sexual thrill.

Likewise, if we grew up where it was natural and ok to be nude, and you saw it every day, it wouldn't make a difference to you. It'd be just like now. You wouldn't notice anything more or less.

Lightkeeper

Maize said:
Depends. What kind of nudity you talking about? A women nursing her newborn in public is considered by some to be nudity, and discourage women from doing this. Which I think is insane. However, I don't really want to see Uncle George walking his nude 300 lbs around town either. So I think it's a fine line, we should loosen up about it, but use common sense too.
This reminds me of an old joke. Did you hear about the 90 year old man who streaked the flower show? He won first prize for best dried arrangement.:)

For the above reason I would rather see people clothed and leave a lot to the imagination.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
ya. i mean, theres a certain mysteriousness behind the clothing. i would rather have the fun of the mystery than know who looks like what. ya, im a little overwieght, and i would feel very uncomfortable if i didnt have any clothes. a little embarrasing for those who have small u know whats too..

clothing is also beautiful. it has culture all over it. i mean, the sari and kimono. its just beautiful.
theres also some clothing that is suggestive, like the kimono with the coller revealing the lower neck on women, its seductive, just like mini skirts and such.

public nudity is not OK unless if its in the proper environment. like, if you went to a swimming pool, hello excpect to see something in the showers. but if you go to the oscars, i dont think it would be very appropriate to wear something plastic/clear (it does get a little chili in february).

didnt we have a thread on this before? or am i just having dejavu?

Pah

Uber all member
Rex_Admin said:
Do you think public nudity is fine?

Depends on where it is! In most of Europe, nudity on the beach, at the swimming pools and numerous nudist colonies, it's fine. Here in America, it is still someting to be up-tight about.

-pah-

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Well after leaving my comment about how strongly I disapprove of public nudity, my husband reminded me that I get ticked off about people who are snooty about women nursing in public. I have been nursing my baby on and off since she was born, but I've never actually had the guts to nurse in public, except in the car. I tried to put a blanket over us then too but my daughter kept pulling it off. I've always been very modest, but after having a kid and going through all the prenatal appointments and then the constant parade of nurses in the hospital, you get used to people seeing your boobs. Yet somehow I'm still too embarrassed to breastfeed in front of people who aren't medical professionals, and it's mostly because I'm afraid someone will be offended.

I wish people weren't offended by women's boobs! What do they think they're for? anyway guys walk around with their shirts off all the time and no one says anything. It is very hard to go anywhere outside the house when you are a nursing mom and actually find a place to nurse privately, everyone just expects you to bottlefeed, which I really resent.

true blood

Yes I think its ok but I feel one would have to be strong not to lust after the flesh. Massive public nudity might be dangerous. Wasn't there a prophet in the Old Testament that walked around nude for 4 years?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I wish people weren't offended by women's boobs! What do they think they're for? anyway guys walk around with their shirts off all the time and no one says anything. It is very hard to go anywhere outside the house when you are a nursing mom and actually find a place to nurse privately, everyone just expects you to bottlefeed, which I really resent.

Legally, you have the right to. You have the right to parade topless down the street, if you want. That's because of the law that states that men and woman will not have seperate laws or be treated differently. Basically, if it's true for one gender, it's true for the other.

Yes I think its ok but I feel one would have to be strong not to lust after the flesh. Massive public nudity might be dangerous.

Like I already said, those natives who lived their lives nude did not have perma-erections. Give it a week, maybe a fortnight, at most a month, and no one would care that someone was naked anymore. Of course, then if you wore clothes, you'd really stick out.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Druidus,
I think you have a point that it's a lot different in societies where nudity is the norm. However, here in America where that isn't and hasn't been the norm for centuries, it would be very difficult (if not impossible) to change people's idea of what is and isn't obscene. I don't think it would ever happen because clothing is too much a part of our lives, and don't forget one major difference between us and the tribes in Africa who go around skimpily clad all the time. It gets COLD here in the winter!