• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is premarital sex a sin?

Doodlebug02

Well since you asked what the readers of this thread believe then I will offer mine.

Whether it be the Tanach/OT, or the Beriyth Chadash/NT, they both have the same plan and intent. One pulls from the other in all things. All laws spoken of in the entirety of both text are those laws spoken of in the Torah/First 5 books of the Tanach/OT. There is nothing new under the sun. When speaking of the laws of sexual immorality we need to look at the Torah. Specifically the book of Vayichra/Leviticus and chapters 18 and 20. Nowhere in Torah is there any instance of premarital sex being considered iniquity as you have asked for. There is nothing wrong with a man and a woman, or two women, to enjoy themselves sexually as long as they are both consenting/in covenant/in agreement to such and are not transgressing the sexual immorality laws which, again, are found in the Torah in the book of Vayichra/Leviticus chapters 18 and 20.

What about sex between two men? Is there anything wrong with that in your view? Also, the Book of Leviticus condemns things like eating shrimp so how could a person possibly consider it to be a valid moral code for today?

blackout

Violet.
I never spotted this forum section before 'liberal christianity'.

Ok...here is liberal for you.

The bible says:

'all things are permitted, but not all things are good for you'.

So is pre-marital sex good for you?

If you wanna have sex before marriage your gonna try and get a way to do it anyway, either by reasoning its ok, or by saying sorry to god afterwards.

What you really have to ask yourself is...what has pre-marital sex done for me lately apart from having an orgasm?

Now if having an orgasm can make you grow spiritually id say...have mulitple.

Personally i havent had one orgasm that made me understand god better and made me more in tune with him.

It does transport me somewhere.....but it doesn help me grow. Is that advantageous to me? If im not careful it might even hurt me. Not the orgasm, but the person in my life that im having sex with could very well lead me down the dark and dungy road...is that worth an orgasm and seperation from god? Nope.

Heneni

...this "person" (leading you down the dark and dungy road)
could just as easily be a spouse.

marriage is neither prevention or cure from such a thing.
neither is unmarried intimacy "cause" of such a thing.

How can you possibly assert that a relationship of intimacy
outside some legal marriage will not help you grow?

and do you have any idea HOW MANY people are hurt in/by their marriages?

marriage is no panacea or guarantee of anything at all.
nothing.

davidthegreek

Is premarital sex a sin? I don't believe so. The Bible condemns sexual immorality but not premarital sex. Some have argued that the Bible condemns fornication which is sex between unmarried persons. However, modern Bible translations translate fornication as sexual immorality. Is premarital sex really a sin? I don't and can't believe so. What do you believe?

I don't know.

HankHill

Indian-American Ex-Hindu
If you take Christianity to be your moral standard, then yes premarital sex is a sin. But in the 21st century, we all take certain things to be immoral even though our religion did (at least at one point) condone it- e.g.: witch hunts, stoning adulterers, hanging homosexuals, polygamy, offering daughters in marriage as if they were money or livestock. In this sense it really comes down to what you personally consider to be part of your religion versus what you think of as outdated or a cultural trapping. If you are a conservative (which I am), you'll see premarital sex and homosexual acts as immoral, whereas if you are a liberal, you will consider those prohibitions to be outdated like the prohibitions on eating shellfish, wearing mixed-material fabrics, etc. To each his or her own.

Skwim

Veteran Member
If you take Christianity to be your moral standard, then yes premarital sex is a sin. But in the 21st century, we all take certain things to be immoral even though our religion did (at least at one point) condone it- e.g.: witch hunts, stoning adulterers, hanging homosexuals, polygamy, offering daughters in marriage as if they were money or livestock. In this sense it really comes down to what you personally consider to be part of your religion versus what you think of as outdated or a cultural trapping. If you are a conservative (which I am), you'll see premarital sex and homosexual acts as immoral, whereas if you are a liberal, you will consider those prohibitions to be outdated like the prohibitions on eating shellfish, wearing mixed-material fabrics, etc. To each his or her own.
Gotta ask, why are premarital sex and homosexual acts considered immoral by conservatives?
"We’re seeing more and more conservatives coming out in favor of gay marriage. After Mitt Romney’s defeat, former Republican National Committee chairman Ken Mehlman published an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal making what he regards as a conservative case for gay marriage:"
source

"Conservative effort underway in push for gay marriage"
source

Last edited:

HankHill

Indian-American Ex-Hindu
Gotta ask, why are premarital sex and homosexual acts considered immoral by conservatives?

Well I'd say that conservatives generally favor what are considered "traditional" positions on issues of morality. Saving sex for marriage falls into that category even though the majority of the US population engages in premarital sex. As to homosexuality, it falls outside the traditional sensibility of love and marriage. I look it at it as basically an old school vs. new school kind of thing despite many conservatives' attempts to try to paint it as something involving God's will, human nature, or other lofty ideas.

As to your sources, I mean "conservatives" in terms of social and religious views, not politics. I myself am a moderate who couldn't care less about the gay marriage debate and am pro-choice.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Personally, it depends. However, keep in mind that I hate the term "sin", so I'm only going by semantics.

When two people have sex, it can be fueled by lust or "love" (another term I'm not too fond of). One need not be married to be in love and marriage is oftentimes fueled by lust. Sex just so happens to be a byproduct of when two (or more) people have strong feelings for one another. So, depending on the people and mindsets involved, it both is and it isn't.

John Martin

Is premarital sex a sin? I don't believe so. The Bible condemns sexual immorality but not premarital sex. Some have argued that the Bible condemns fornication which is sex between unmarried persons. However, modern Bible translations translate fornication as sexual immorality. Is premarital sex really a sin? I don't and can't believe so. What do you believe?

premarital sex is sin if it is done without responsibility. It is sin if the relationship is based on subject and object. It is sin if there is no real love and longtime commitment. Recently in Indian court passed a judgement saying: if two legal adults have consensual sex they should be considered as husband and wife.

ZooGirl02

I never spotted this forum section before 'liberal christianity'.

Ok...here is liberal for you.

The bible says:

'all things are permitted, but not all things are good for you'.

So is pre-marital sex good for you?

If you wanna have sex before marriage your gonna try and get a way to do it anyway, either by reasoning its ok, or by saying sorry to god afterwards.

What you really have to ask yourself is...what has pre-marital sex done for me lately apart from having an orgasm?

Now if having an orgasm can make you grow spiritually id say...have mulitple.

Personally i havent had one orgasm that made me understand god better and made me more in tune with him.

It does transport me somewhere.....but it doesn help me grow. Is that advantageous to me? If im not careful it might even hurt me. Not the orgasm, but the person in my life that im having sex with could very well lead me down the dark and dungy road...is that worth an orgasm and seperation from god? Nope.

Heneni

Well, a couple who loves each other and has sex will often strengthen their love for each other through the intimacy of sex. At least that's my experience.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Marriage back then was a pretty casual thing arranged by the family. Most were prearranged between an older man and a young girl. I would not be surprised if people looked the other way when men had sex before then, but it would probably be pretty unusual for a girl to have sex that young.