• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is philosophy a science?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It may be the grandmother of science while in itself it is not science proper.Right? Please

If yes, how is it covered by the scientific method? Please

Regards

Last edited:

2X4

It may be the grandmother of science while in itself it is not science proper.Right? Please

Regards

The building of false gods, religion, philosophy and science go hand in hand. Without man building an object with his human hands according to the beast, he wouldn't have any thoughts entering his mind to go beyond the natural images he woke up with on earth.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Maybe we should distinguish between “Philosophy” and “Natural Philosophy”?

Philosophy - Wikipedia - Natural philosophy - Wikipedia

Natural philosophy or philosophy of nature (from Latin philosophia naturalis) was the philosophical study of nature and the physical universe that was dominant before the development of modern science. It is considered to be the precursor of natural science.

Then again: “The precursor of natural science” was/is the empirical and mytho-cosmological knowledge which was told and illustrated symbolically in most ancient cultures, especially in their cultural Stories of Creation, which is very similar all over the world, even though different symbols sometimes were used for the same cosmological issue.

The big question is if we can decipher the ancient telling and connect this and the connected symbols in a way that provides a scientific explanation. If taking the ancient Stories of Creation, these sometimes confirms the modern science and sometimes they contradicts these.

The ancient telling’s don´t speak of a creation of the entire Universe, but “just” of the ancient known part of the Universe, namely our Milky Way galaxy. The Universe and everything in it was considered to be eternal and everything is forming and dissolving eternally. That is: No idea of a Big Bang in the ancient tellings.

The formation of our Solar System and everything else is created in the Milky Way center and it participates in a spherical electromagnetic circuit. This ancient telling is cosmologically more precise than the modern scientific explanation of the Solar System.

Read more of this Mytho-Cosmological site where the Stories of Creation is connected to the Milky Way Mythology, the empirical and spiritual knowledge of the ancient cultures - Ancient Science. The Ancient and native Way of Knowledge

interminable

منتظر
For materialists nope

But for most of the human being yes

And if u take a look around yourself u will understand that philosophy is ruling over the world although they may differ

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I give here a quote from an article titled "Philosophy Is Not a Science"
By JULIAN FRIEDLAND , published in the prestigious "the New York times":

"While science and philosophy do at times overlap, they are fundamentally different approaches to understanding. So philosophers should not add to the conceptual confusion that subsumes all knowledge into science. Rather, we should underscore the fact that various disciplines we ordinarily treat as science are at least as — if not more —philosophical than scientific. Take for example mathematics, theoretical physics, psychology and economics. These are predominately rational conceptual disciplines. That is, they are not chiefly reliant on empirical observation. For unlike science, they may be conducted while sitting in an armchair with eyes closed."
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/philosophy-is-not-a-science/?_r=2
One may like to read the whole article, and may like to add some points to it if one agrees with its contents.
One may feel free to oppose it and refute its points, if one pleases.
Regards

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Which discipline of science it belongs to? Please
Regards
Philosophy of science is a branch of philosophy concerned with the foundations, methods, and implications of science. The central questions of this study concern what qualifies as science, the reliability of scientific theories, and the ultimate purpose of science.

Kirran

Premium Member
Right, philosophy and science are not the same thing. I think that can be safely agreed upon.

I continue to find the use of English exhibited by the OP highly inventive.

Spirit_Warrior

I think this question is best answered by looking at the respective epistemology(means or theory of knowledge) of Philosophy and Science. In Philosophy we attempt to answer questions using reasoning, such as logic or even imagination, this is known as rationalism -- based on the theory that the mind is capable of revealing truth. Science is based on empiricism --- we attempt to answer questions using the scientific method, using empirical methods of gathering information like measuring, then interpreting the data and drawing generalisations. The more measurable the phenomena the more scientific is considered the field --- like physics, chemistry and biology. Philosophers do not do that. This is why you may love Philosophy but not Science. I love Philosophy more, because I find the actual method of science of measuring everything and then mathematical analysis of the data --- boring! In Philosophy, I can just use my mind to come up with answers to questions through a process of intense contemplation or even through meditative insight.

The problem with Philosophy though is, you cannot really test the conclusions you have arrived at e.g. early natural philosophers in both India and Greece came up with atoms through reasoning, but they couldn't really test that atoms exist. It was not until Dalton that we actually were able to show atoms exist and proved it through measuring the weight of substances. Because philosophers could not prove atoms exist, there were equally a number of philosophers who rejected atoms. Today, nobody rejects atoms exist. So science has the ability to actually prove things, which philosophy doesn't. Hence, why today we have no need for natural philosophers anymore, all questions about nature are answered by scientists.

But there are some questions that science cannot answer like moral, aesthetic or existentialist questions for example because they are not measurable. These are questions that only Philosophy can attempt to answer and this is why Philosophy is still around. However, this could change as previously immeasurable phenomena becomes measurable. If for example, we could discover an actual moral law like a law of karma, then we would be able to measure how moral or immoral an action is. In Psychology, previous questions like 'what is beautiful?' which were considered philosophical questions, are now scientific questions as we can measure common properties of what is beautiful(like symmetry, smoothness etc) Recently, it has even become possible to measure subjective states like compassion and happiness.

The more and more refined and advanced Science becomes, the less relevant Philosophy will become.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I think this question is best answered by looking at the respective epistemology(means or theory of knowledge) of Philosophy and Science. In Philosophy we attempt to answer questions using reasoning, such as logic or even imagination, this is known as rationalism -- based on the theory that the mind is capable of revealing truth. Science is based on empiricism --- we attempt to answer questions using the scientific method, using empirical methods of gathering information like measuring, then interpreting the data and drawing generalisations. The more measurable the phenomena the more scientific is considered the field --- like physics, chemistry and biology. Philosophers do not do that. This is why you may love Philosophy but not Science. I love Philosophy more, because I find the actual method of science of measuring everything and then mathematical analysis of the data --- boring! In Philosophy, I can just use my mind to come up with answers to questions through a process of intense contemplation or even through meditative insight.

The problem with Philosophy though is, you cannot really test the conclusions you have arrived at e.g. early natural philosophers in both India and Greece came up with atoms through reasoning, but they couldn't really test that atoms exist. It was until Dalton that we actually were able to shows exist and proved it through measuring the weight of substances. Because philosophers could not prove atoms exist, there were equally a number of philosophers who rejected atoms. Today, nobody rejects atoms exist. So science has the ability to actually prove things, which philosophy doesn't. Hence, why today we have no need for natural philosophers anymore, all questions about nature are answered by scientists.

But there are some questions that science cannot answer like moral, aesthetic or existentialist questions for example because they are not measurable. These are questions that only Philosophy can attempt to answer and this is why Philosophy is still around. However, this could change as previously immeasurable phenomena becomes measurable. If for example, we could discover an actual moral law like a law of karma, then we would be able to measure how moral or immoral an action is. In Psychology, previous questions like what is beautiful which were considered philosophical questions, are now scientific questions as we can measure common properties of what is beautiful(like symmetry, smoothness etc) Recently, it has even become possible to measure subjective states like compassion and happiness.

The more and more refined and advanced Science becomes, the less relevant Philosophy will become.
So one agrees that Philosophy is not science. Right? Please
Regards

Spirit_Warrior

I would like to add something though to the relevance of Philosophy vis-a-vis Science. Somebody mentioned Philosophy of Science(PoS) already. I think PoS is very important and actually should be taught side by side when Science is taught, becomes scientists are not just technicians, or at least should not be just technicians, they need to be able to interpret their data and know the limitations of their finding. If a scientist insists atoms exist as ontological facts, they are going beyond their limitations, because they cannot possibly know that. It is possible atoms do not exist at all in the absolute sense of reality, like for example in quantum mechanics atoms do not exist as real entities but only have a probability of existence.

There was a time when scientists thought that they proved or verified things, they were known as positivists. I think sometime in the early 20th century this movement arose in PoS. It was later challenged by such great philosophers like Popper and Kuhn to show actually no science does not really prove anything in the absolute sense, it only shows that something is yet to be disproven. The number of experimental trials of a theory does not prove it -- it just corroborates it and gives us high confidence in it, but it does not mean that one day day new data will not falsify it. The history of science is full of falsifications of old theories.

We also need PoS to challenge scientific dogmas(such as the dogmas that Sheldrake talks about in his book 'science delusion)' like for example why is Psychology not a science? At one time, and even today hard scientists challenge why social science should be even considered a science, Psychology is seen as some inferior science. Then what about areas like Parapsychology, is that science or pseudo science? Questions like this again are not scientific questions to be answered by measuring something, they are philosophical questions for somebody like me to come along and attempt to answer.

The scientific method itself can be challenged by PoS. Why does it always have to be measurable and quantitative? Can we not use qualitative methods like observation, interviews, phenomenology? Well, the answer in social science is yes you can(another reason why some hard scientists snub their nose at them)

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist

Regards

Well philosophy may actually become a 'science'.

Yes science initially comes about when Descartes and other philosophers get fed up with dogma and sophistry, (medieval philosophy)
and reform formal knowledge using geometry as a founding principle. They call it 'science.'

However, science as an institution seems to have overpowered the methods of Descartes
much like the proverbial emperor and his new clothes. It becomes a powerful tool to insist on
untruth as truth and thereby keep the majority in a state of subservience to those lies.

"Once you got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls." - Sin City

So to subvert the subversion, natural philosophy could reinvent knowledge as: logical positivism,
in effect, philosophy becomes science, science takes the role of the dogmatic institutional medieval philosophy.

I think all human processes follow such a similar path.

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
Like some have said, science is a philosophy in itself. It might not pertain to the self. But it is a philosophy.

That doesn't mean all philosophies are science. Unfortunately, science as a philosophy is somewhat limited compared to "spiritual" philosophies in that it requires evidence and verification... And most philosophies that go into metaphysics of one's being, cannot be verified. At least not yet.

Nothing is black and white.

/E: Philosophy means "love of wisdom".

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Like some have said, science is a philosophy in itself. It might not pertain to the self. But it is a philosophy.

That doesn't mean all philosophies are science. Unfortunately, science as a philosophy is somewhat limited* compared to "spiritual" philosophies in that it requires evidence and verification... And most philosophies that go into metaphysics of one's being, cannot be verified. At least not yet.

Nothing is black and white.

/E: Philosophy means "love of wisdom".
"Unfortunately, science as a philosophy is some what limited * compared to "spiritual" philosophies in that it requires evidence and verification"

I would like to add and agree:
* in its scope to the physical and material realms and is not relevant in others. Please
Regards

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Regards

No, it isn't a science. It is a system to help reveal inconsistencies in our thoughts. As such, it is much more useful than any religion, which only promotes such inconsistencies.