• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Pantheism atheistic or theistic?

idav

Being
Premium Member
I am reading a book that charges pantheism with being a form of atheism for denying a personal god. Is pantheism more theistic or atheistic in nature? The book argues that the reasoning that brings an atheist to that conclusion matters and that pantheists accept that materialistic world view. He even goes as far as to say atheism doesnt really exist since nobody can deny an active power in nature. I wanted to hear thoughts and opinions on those ideas. The book is from a Christian theist perspective. "Modern atheism under its forms of pantheism, materialism, secularism, development, and Natural law"

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
It depends on the individual, I guess.

I would say that, I think, many (if not most) Pantheists are non-theistic in nature. However, just because one denies a "personal God", doesn't automatically make them an atheist per se. I should know, as I identify as a Pantheist, but not as a non-theist. I believe in a non-personal God similar in nature to the Tao and Brahman: an unchanging, eternal reality.

Conversely, I'm sure there are many Pantheists who are theistic in nature. I think they're called Monistic or Idealistic Pantheists.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly, the only reliable distinction between "atheist" and "theist" in the first place is whether or not they use the word "god(s)" or not. That said, last time I checked, it was panTHEISM, not panATHEISM. I'm not surprised that a commentary on pantheism written from a Christian theological perspective would deny that it's "real" theism. They insist that gods must be personal, so if you can't have a personal relationship with something, that thing isn't "really" a god. They play the same sort of cards when it comes to addressing any other god-concept that isn't the "correct" one.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I am reading a book that charges pantheism with being a form of atheism for denying a personal god. Is pantheism more theistic or atheistic in nature? The book argues that the reasoning that brings an atheist to that conclusion matters and that pantheists accept that materialistic world view. He even goes as far as to say atheism doesnt really exist since nobody can deny an active power in nature. I wanted to hear thoughts and opinions on those ideas. The book is from a Christian theist perspective. "Modern atheism under its forms of pantheism, materialism, secularism, development, and Natural law"

Scientific (Naturalistic) Pantheism is pretty much atheistic, in the sense that it doesn't literally view it as God, but treat it as if it were.

However, there are pantheists who believe that the universe is literally God, which is similar to my theology (which gets a lot more complex).

What interests me is that Christians who believe God is omnipresent do not admit to being pantheists or panentheists.

Also, atheism exists in the sense that they do not perceive the universe as one working force, or else they do not recognize this working force (Nature) as a deity.

nazz

Doubting Thomas

Pantheism is not atheism. Atheist believe in no gods, period.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I consider it theistic, since i don't define theism as the belief in a "certain" type of god.

However, since some people consider themselves atheists only because of rejection of such certain types of gods, and then might embrace a pantheistic view point, it is a world view that i think is equally relevant to both people who identify as atheists and people who identify as theists.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I am reading a book that charges pantheism with being a form of atheism for denying a personal god.
In a sense, yes. I suspect it all depends on what kind of pantheism. There might be some who believe God, the Universe, is all a huge being that is personal and conscious.

Is pantheism more theistic or atheistic in nature?
I see it as something in between. The third path. :)

The book argues that the reasoning that brings an atheist to that conclusion matters and that pantheists accept that materialistic world view. He even goes as far as to say atheism doesnt really exist since nobody can deny an active power in nature.
It all depends on definitions. Atheism rejects a certain and specific kind of God, or gods. Pantheism accepts the label God as something different than what atheists are rejecting. So the answer is, in my opinion, yes and no.

I wanted to hear thoughts and opinions on those ideas. The book is from a Christian theist perspective. "Modern atheism under its forms of pantheism, materialism, secularism, development, and Natural law"
Since I consider myself both an atheist and naturalistic panentheist, the author might have a point and be wrong at the same time.
:D

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

As a Christian, I can't reconcile pantheism as being a nontheistic concept.

There is divinity within most pantheist concepts. To many pantheists God is found both within the material world as well as the immaterial and spiritual realm.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Also, how is pantheism denying a personal god if we are all a part of God?

To most, a "personal" God is one that is omnipresent, omnibenevolent, and omniscient. Basically the "Abrahamic" God-concept; although I do think that term might be slightly overused.

Although I view God as being equal with the universe, and thus we are a "part of God", I still don't believe it to be personal. As I don't believe it to be all-knowing, micromanaging or that it listens to prayers and grants them like wishes.

The Sum of Awe

To most, a "personal" God is one that is omnipresent, omnibenevolent, and omniscient. Basically the "Abrahamic" God-concept; although I do think that term might be slightly overused.

Although I view God as being equal with the universe, and thus we are a "part of God", I still don't believe it to be personal. As I don't believe it to be all-knowing, micromanaging or that it listens to prayers and grants them like wishes.

So a majority of religions do not believe in a personal God?

The Sum of Awe

I don't know. I'm only speaking for myself and from what I understand. So to answer your question:

Maybe? Maybe not? I don't know all 7 billion people in the world nor am I a mind reader.

Considering a majority of organized religions do not have an omni-God concept, though.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Considering a majority of organized religions do not have an omni-God concept, though.

I think even if most organized religions themselves didn't have an Omni-God concept, the big 3 (Judaism, Christianity & Islam), according to most statistics, constitue at least 50% of theists in the world.

And even then, not everyone in those religions agrees on the nature of God. So there is that, I suppose.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I think even if most organized religions themselves didn't have an Omni-God concept, the big 3 (Judaism, Christianity & Islam), according to most statistics, constitue at least 50% of theists in the world.

I think the God of Hinduism could be included in that. Also the God of many minor religions like Baha'i Faith.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Also, how is pantheism denying a personal god if we are all a part of God?
Personal god as in a god that directs reality by a conscious will. The writer was viewing stoic type beliefs as types of atheism. However it was focused on extremes where either reality is directed or by chance.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm confused. I thought a "personal god" was simply one that could be related to directly like a person. What you're describing just sounds like a partial description of classical monotheism.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Personally, I don't understand how some being could be a person and still be omnipresent and omniscient. The definition of "person" doesn't fit. A person is limited, finite in both space and time, and has a temporal consciousness. To me, it's a contradiction.