• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Paganism philosophy or religion or science?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Is it Atheistic/Non-Theistic, or Theistic? Please
Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It depends on the person.
For me, it's a religion.

Paganism is usually polytheistic (believe in more than one god) and it, like monotheistic religions, has some philosophy in it. The approach to philosophy are drastically different than monotheistic god-faiths. The view or definition of deity or gods are drastically different as well.

In my opinion, it is not a science.

Is it Atheistic/Non-Theistic, or Theistic?

Depends on who you ask. It's not atheistic. We believe in god(s). I don't call gods, gods because I don't worship them and they are not deities. They are spirits. Paganism tends to be theistic (polytheistic) but there are other theisms besides mono and polytheism that fall under paganism.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It depends on the person.
For me, it's a religion.
Paganism is usually polytheistic (believe in more than one god) and it, like monotheistic religions, has some philosophy in it. The approach to philosophy are drastically different than monotheistic god-faiths. The view or definition of deity or gods are drastically different as well.
In my opinion, it is not a science.
Depends on who you ask. It's not atheistic. We believe in god(s). I don't call gods, gods because I don't worship them and they are not deities. They are spirits. Paganism tends to be theistic (polytheistic) but there are other theisms besides mono and polytheism that fall under paganism.
"We believe in god(s)"

The above expression suggests one belongs to paganism. Is it so? Please
One of my friends told me that Christianity borrowed its many tenets from "Paganism".
He showed me many books on this concept. It was Paul who borrowed, Jesus and or Mary did not do any such thing.
Regards

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Paganism is such a broad terms that it can cover all of those (except science, really.)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The above expression suggests one belongs to paganism. Is it so?

It depends on the person. I don't call gods, gods because I don't worship spirits. I am polytheistic (believe in multiple spirits) but if you're talking about deities, I am not theistic. I guess you can translate that however you want.

I wouldn't say my version is the core definition of paganism. Just many pagan beliefs are polytheistic regardless of how we define deities, gods, and spirits.

One of my friends told me that Christianity borrowed its many tenets from "Paganism".
He showed me many books on this concept. It was Paul who borrowed, Jesus and or Mary did not do any such thing.

Yes. Christianity has a lot of Roman paganism in it. Not many people would see that though. I think if they saw it that way, they'd probably be Jewish instead. But that's just me.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:
It depends on the person. I don't call gods, gods because I don't worship spirits. I am polytheistic (believe in multiple spirits) but if you're talking about deities, I am not theistic. I guess you can translate that however you want.

I wouldn't say my version is the core definition of paganism. Just many pagan beliefs are polytheistic regardless of how we define deities, gods, and spirits.
What one understands from worship, please? Please provide one's own understanding, not from lexicon, to understand one's point of view exactly.
Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:

What one understands from worship, please? Please provide one's own understanding, not from lexicon, to understand one's point of view exactly.
Regards

I dont submit myself or see myself at a lower position to the spirits and family. I dont see them above me or more divine than I am. I dont put them on a pedalstool.

I find that degrading to myself and diresect to family and spirits. So I dont worship.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:
Yes. Christianity has a lot of Roman paganism in it. Not many people would see that though. I think if they saw it that way, they'd probably be Jewish instead. But that's just me.
"Yes. Christianity has a lot of Roman paganism in it."

Thanks for agreeing with me on the above.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I dont submit myself or see myself at a lower position to the spirits and family. I dont see them above me or more divine than I am. I dont put them on a pedalstool.

I find that degrading to myself and diresect to family and spirits. So I dont worship.
That is praying to a higher power for help .
Meditation is concentrating on the problems and their solutions.
Worship is acquiring positive attributes in one's self and shunning the bad ones.It has no problems that one had mentioned.
Right? Please
Anybody please.
Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That is praying to a higher power for help .
Meditation is concentrating on the problems and their solutions.
Worship is acquiring positive attributes in one's self and shunning the bad ones.It has no problems that one had mentioned.
Right? Please
Anybody please.
Regards

Praying is another word for communication and/or petition
Meditation is another word for reflection of oneself and one's thoughts
Worship is honoring something more "divine" or sacred than yourself
Reverence is a deep respect for something that does not need to be more sacred or divine than oneself.

I don't worship because I feel placing myself lower than something sacred is degrading myself. I don't see worship as acquiring positive attributes.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Praying is another word for communication and/or petition
Meditation is another word for reflection of oneself and one's thoughts
Worship is honoring something more "divine" or sacred than yourself
Reverence is a deep respect for something that does not need to be more sacred or divine than oneself.

I don't worship because I feel placing myself lower than something sacred is degrading myself. I don't see worship as acquiring positive attributes.
"I don't worship because I feel placing myself lower than something sacred is degrading myself. I don't see worship as acquiring positive attributes."

It elevates one, rather, if the one who worships/shows respect to one who is a truthfully higher being.
Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
"I don't worship because I feel placing myself lower than something sacred is degrading myself. I don't see worship as acquiring positive attributes."

It elevates one, rather, if the one who worships/shows respect to one who is a truthfully higher being.
Regards

I dont get that feeling. Its totally degrading. Anything I call sacred is something that is equal to myself. Divine cannot be divine if hat divinity is defined by class or heirarchy.

Thats me.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

It is just cultural.
It is neither religion (proper) as it is not based on Revelation. Is it? Please.
Nor its science (proper) as is evident.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

It is just cultural.
It is neither religion (proper) as it is not based on Revelation. Is it? Please.
Nor its science (proper) as is evident.

Paganism is a loose term, does not specify any religion with any clear history, origin, founder and scripture. Right? Please
Regards