• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is our life the only life?

kenny1999

I was educated and raised in a Buddhist environment. I have a strong belief
for karma and rebirth (born again after death)

But I almost forgot, it's possibly only a ''belief''. It's a belief. We cannot prove it.

Someone suggested to me that - We will disappear forever after we die...

If we are going to disappear forever, where will be our soul?
Is it sad to know that we might only live once and only once?
If we disappear forever, we don't even have a soul to rest in somewhere?
No mind at all?

What do you think?

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member

But I almost forgot, it's possibly only a ''belief''. It's a belief. We cannot prove it.

No mind at all?

What do you think?

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist

No mind at all?

What do you think?

The only way you'll know is by waiting to find out.
Currently there is no evidence for such a thing, nor is there for the soul or karma.

Why is this in 'Science and Religion'?
It should be in either 'General Religious Debates' or 'Philosophy'.

Altfish

Veteran Member
What's a soul? The only ones I know are on the bottom of my foot and a type of fish. The soul is a man-made invention.

We have one life, this is it...make the most of it.

I, when asked where will I be when I'm dead always say..."Where were you in 1900? Well it will be just the same after you die, with one difference, hopefully some people will remember you"

rusra02

Premium Member

No mind at all?

What do you think?
I believe the hope for the dead comes from God's promise that "he [God] will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore." (Revelation 21:4) Those who have died are promised a resurrection. (Acts 24:15) The Bible does not teach that man has an immortal soul. (Ezekiel 18:4)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

No mind at all?

What do you think?

We don not know what tomorrow will bring, but the very uncertainty of life helps to make life urgent and precious. However, in my opinion, notions of an afterlife tend us towards complacency.

Erebus

No mind at all?

What do you think?

I've seen the argument that we simply cease to exist put forward as a certainty on occasion. I disagree that it's certain. Possible, sure. Just not certain.

I don't believe anybody truly knows what we experience or don't experience after death. It's one of the great unknowns. We can have our beliefs one way or another, but we won't know until we die. Even then, we may still not know.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What is sad about that? We had our go. Only the form changes. What constitutes us is (we can take it as such for the time-being) - eternal. That is the way of life.
Oh yes, Bible and Quran can prove otherwise. :)

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
My thoughts? We're eternal and may have always existed, and have had many lives before. My belief in that is pretty secure, personally.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

No mind at all?

What do you think?

I saw a spirit in my life time; so, I believe that we exist as spirits afterlife and we are on earth where we passed. I know it may seem crazy, but if youve seen the movie Ghost and Six Sense, I believe there is a lot of truth to those movies.

I have an ichy feeling that when we die, that is it. Its like before we were born. So, why be worried? I always wonder why we have dreams of everlasting life sometimes. I think my goal is to be comfortable with death. The best quote that sums this I read was by Woody Allen: Its not that I am afraid of death, I just dont want to be there when it happens.

Thats just my gist. I do believe in rebirth in that we are born into our living family members. If we are on earth, then we may be trying to take care of family members and havent completely connected with them. I feel the purpose is to connect with the spirits so they experience rebirth. We cant do that until we create right actions and karma. We do so by helping others to enlightenment both in this life and the next.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

No mind at all?

What do you think?

It does not seem logical to me that everything we have experienced and learned would simply be thrown out, but what becomes of it... as you say we can never prove, it has to remain something we use our free will to ponder and have faith in. but how else could it ever work? Without destroying that faith and free will?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

No mind at all?

What do you think?

If rebirth is true then I am the rebirth of something else.

Since I do not remember anything of my previous life, how is that different from my previous life being dead forever?

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
It does not seem logical to me that everything we have experienced and learned would simply be thrown out, but what becomes of it... as you say we can never prove, it has to remain something we use our free will to ponder and have faith in. but how else could it ever work? Without destroying that faith and free will?

That has nothing to do with logic. Don't confuse logic with wishful thinking.

Ciao

- viole

That one dude...

Why should I have a faith?
If rebirth is true then I am the rebirth of something else.

Since I do not remember anything of my previous life, how is that different from my previous life being dead forever?

Ciao

- viole

"If I don't remember it, it didn't happen!" -wishful thinking of remorseful drunks the day after, and non-afterlife logic

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member

No mind at all?

What do you think?
All is of the one underlying essence...there are never ending transformations and transmutations of this cosmic energetic essence....but at the end of the day...the essence itself can never cease existing.... This essence is known by many names in the different religions....but the one essence itself is forever on the other side of the name... Religion teaches that the potential for transcending mortality exists...and it is true...the rub is that we must sacrifice our sense of identity with our present mortal self to become one with the underlying immutable essence of the universe.. This is much too difficult a task to accomplish in one life time of any and all of the kingdoms of nature....and so evolution has takes us though all the so called lower kingdoms of nature to eventually incarnate in the human kingdom...so rebirth, aka reincarnation, is a natural process of existence...but always remember....the essence itself is eternal..

So the teaching to mortals that there is only one life is also true...the personal self, aka ego, is temporary due to its identifying with a mortal body....the serious religious student knows this and spends their life in religious practice meant to transcend the natural desire to self identify with the body as being what and who we are in this world...and instead realize what and who they really are in the context of the underlying eternal essence of cosmic existence....

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
...so rebirth, aka reincarnation, is a natural process of existence...but always remember....the essence itself is eternal..

Is your belief in reincarnation compatible with your belief in what the Bible says? I didn't think that reincarnation is something that Christians accept?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
"If I don't remember it, it didn't happen!" -wishful thinking of remorseful drunks the day after, and non-afterlife logic

This is not my point. My point is: if you do not remember, how is that important? How is that different from irreversible termination?

I can understand the Christian who likes to think she will keep her identity in heaven. But I do not understand what kind of use we can have from reincarnation. It seems like a useless hypothesys that does not even provide comfort.

Ciao

- viole