• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is one religion better than the other.. and if so....

Etritonakin

Agreed.

Not necessarily. You discount reincarnation.

Agreed.

You're assuming that such a being must necessarily exist..

I don't know much about the idea of reincarnation, but my point was valid overall.

For argument's sake, I did say "would be" -and access to one with complete knowledge would be better even if not possible.
I do have reason to believe that is the case -though also that God grants access as he sees fit.
Resurrection might be seen as similar to reincarnation -as personality and knowledge are essentially stored and given another body later. I do believe that the spirit of God bears record of all knowledge -and God is able to add it to us as he wills.
Humans are also based upon previous life forms and are even made up of some of the same material which made up other life forms -and while we may not have access to all information, our ability to process information and even some of our tendencies are built upon previous designs.

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i
Do you think that God is really in favor of one religion? If so, Which one and why?
Please try to avoid using scriptures as arguments as all religions are eventually based on scriptures and this is not a valid argument IMO.

I believe each of the great religions came at crucial stages in the social and spiritual development of humanity... there were social and environmental factors as well. The laws of Moses had a utility for the time and circumstances they were revealed... The teachings of the Buddha were directed at certain social institutions such as the caste system and in particular the Brahmin caste and it's prerogatives... The teachings of Jesus focused in part on the established religious bodies of His day and so on...

Segev Moran

Bad horsies buck their riders.
Good horsies trot nicely.
Can't say I think prawns are all that good, generally I prefer snoek.
So a bad horse is one that is not submissive???
A Bad horse is the one that fights humans trying to make it behave against its natural wild behavior???
I Guess an elephant that doesn't cooperate in the circus is also a bad elephant huh?
How about a donkey that collapse from overweight carried on his back? That's a very bad donkey I Guess..
Oh.. and crabs that scream when boiled alive in water.. How rude of them!!! they must be Bad crabs!
I also encountered some bade cows! They were screaming and fighting when one tried to butcher them.. Geez.. such a bad behavior... I Guess those cows are going to be chickens next life.

There are no Bad animals!!! There are bad humans who think that an animal is bad for not following the human's wishes.

Segev Moran

I believe each of the great religions came at crucial stages in the social and spiritual development of humanity... there were social and environmental factors as well. The laws of Moses had a utility for the time and circumstances they were revealed... The teachings of the Buddha were directed at certain social institutions such as the caste system and in particular the Brahmin caste and it's prerogatives... The teachings of Jesus focused in part on the established religious bodies of His day and so on...
So religion evolved socially.. I Can agree about that...
But thats all it is.. a SOCIAL concept... not miraculous or divine.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
So a bad horse is one that is not submissive???
A Bad horse is the one that fights humans trying to make it behave against its natural wild behavior???
I Guess an elephant that doesn't cooperate in the circus is also a bad elephant huh?
How about a donkey that collapse from overweight carried on his back? That's a very bad donkey I Guess..
Oh.. and crabs that scream when boiled alive in water.. How rude of them!!! they must be Bad crabs!
I also encountered some bade cows! They were screaming and fighting when one tried to butcher them.. Geez.. such a bad behavior... I Guess those cows are going to be chickens next life.

There are no Bad animals!!! There are bad humans who think that an animal is bad for not following the human's wishes.

If horses were not protected by people, they would be food for Lions.
The horse-food they are fed is only possible because the horse is a beast of burden.
(At least historically it was thus).
Once the animal helps society, its spirit progresses until it incarnates as a human
and then it reaps the benefit of the labor that it has performed.

The person that puts too much weight on the donkey will be such donkey, surely.

There is no such thing as 'natural wild behavior' as creatures in domestic environments
like cats for example, are expected not to poop indoors, and good cats do this.
They are also expected not to bring their kills indoors. (Bad kitty)

The screaming of crabs in water is caused by steam passing through their exoskeletons,
but yes, I agree it is still a bad thing to do this, and justice is served if people that do this
experience the same event in another life.

Its not about the human's wishes at all, it is about universal ethic.
The way to understand this, is if you think it is bad, then it is bad.
All you examples show that some things people do are bad.
Why do you think animals are exempt? Are humans 'special'
and are thus subject to morality? That idea is curious.
It reminds me of something entirely religious - albeit not mystical.

Etritonakin

So religion evolved socially.. I Can agree about that...
But thats all it is.. a SOCIAL concept... not miraculous or divine.

Religion in general may have evolved socially, but that is not necessarily all it is.
It is obvious that "God" is not the direct source of every religion, but that is not to say God is not the source of "true" religion -and has not dealt with some men.

The fact that many worship imagined gods does not mean there are not beings greater than man -or a creative intelligence which preceded man and is by nature greater than all others. There is no reason why "everything" would or could not have a centralized or overall mind/intelligence.

If we assume there is no God, and consider all that is lacking -all that we are not -and that which would solve all of our problems, we essentially describe "God" anyway. We know that all could possibly be known -but cannot be known by ourselves. We know that power over everything is possible -but not by our selves in this state. We know that peace is possible, but would require that which we do not have.
In the absence of God, the best "religion" -set of beliefs and courses of action -would still be that which could bring peace, longevity, universal happiness, etc., based on as accurate a perception of all things as possible -and power over those things. However, causing all to adhere to such -especially given the fact that one generation dies and another begins-would still require that which is greater than ourselves.

If we consider what is necessary for us to have all that we know is necessary to solve every problem, there is left what I like to call an empty space in the shape of God -and it stands to reason that something exists in that space, but is not yet directly perceptible.

At least consider the possibility that the universe is the result of a creative intelligence -and that even the evolution of religion in the absence of God may be partly the result of sensing that we require something greater than ourselves -and that something -whatever it may be -actually exists.

From another perspective... What would be the reason for -or evolutionary advantage to -imagining gods or God? Either God is making us more like him -or we are making ourselves greater and more God-like.
We seek power over and understanding of our environment -and increase in such.
Something has power over all things -because all things became what they now are -and all things exist to be known.
Seeing what is required of us to make what we do, it is understandable and reasonable to believe similar was required for the existence of the present arrangement of all things.

Last edited:

Etritonakin

The best religion would answer all of mankind's problems.
These are some....

Short lifespan -once we get the general idea, we die.

Moving from ignorance -Collecting, recording and transferring all accurate knowledge and basic wisdom to following generations.

Again -short life span -knowledge and wisdom are not necessarily quickly accepted.

Knowledge and wisdom are also subject to rejection, loss, destruction.

Overcoming human/animalistic nature -learning to choose correctly while the tendency is to do otherwise.

Sustainability -and possibly repair of a world made uninhabitable.

Vulnerability to greater forces from without and within -possibility of extinction.

Self-destruction -having extreme capability and not using it to destroy everything.

Think what you will about the bible, but every last one of these -and more -are addressed and answered therein in extreme detail.
At the very least, the writers acknowledged these issues and realized that humanity would not fare well -and would destroy itself -unless those issues were addressed by something greater than humanity.
If they merely imagined how those things would be answered, they did so in a way which was perfectly logical -not outside the realm of possibility -and would answer them completely.

Unfortunately, not many have researched enough to understand the overall plan actually outlined in the bible -so I will try to give an overview later.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Well in the time of Genesis, the world was much more empty than it is today.

Yes, besides the beginning of Genesis 1:28, the world became empty (except for 8 people - 1 Peter 3:20)
The command to ' fill ' (populate) the Earth remained in effect.
Mankind was to reproduce responsibly until the time of Jesus' millennial reign over Earth begins.
Those who refuse to ' repent ' before the great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 begins, like the people of Noah's day, will perish - 2 Peter 3:9; Matthew 25:31-33,37

Segev Moran

If horses were not protected by people, they would be food for Lions.
Lol...
I don't even know how to respond to that...
How does that relate to the horse being good or bad?
Once the animal helps society, its spirit progresses until it incarnates as a human
and then it reaps the benefit of the labor that it has performed.
What about Cows?
And also, You think animals CHOOSE to help humans?
I guess it has got nothing to do with the fact we "Train" and domesticate them huh?
There is no such thing as 'natural wild behavior' as creatures in domestic environments
Yeah.. horses were not always domesticated you know?
like cats for example, are expected not to poop indoors, and good cats do this.
They are also expected not to bring their kills indoors. (Bad kitty)
Lol..
the funny thing is for example, that when the cat brings its killing to the door, it is doing the GREATEST thing it could do for its master, yet we treat it as a bad thing..
In nature, when the item in a social group brings the prey to the leader of the pact is a sign of being submissive and respectful and accepting the authority of the leader.

experience the same event in another life.
What about killing a cocaroach? or a fly? would you hope for people to experience the same in their afterlife?

Its not about the human's wishes at all, it is about universal ethic.
The way to understand this, is if you think it is bad, then it is bad.
So if i think allowing woman to sing is bad, then it is bad??????????
All you examples show that some things people do are bad.
Why do you think animals are exempt? Are humans 'special'
and are thus subject to morality? That idea is curious.
It reminds me of something entirely religious - albeit not mystical.
Yeah.. That's one of the problems .. the second someone doesn't understand something, it must be a God ;)

Kartari

Hi Segev,

Hi All,

I Was wondering what you think about the various religions and religion streams in the world.

Do you think that God is really in favor of one religion? If so, Which one and why?
Please try to avoid using scriptures as arguments as all religions are eventually based on scriptures and this is not a valid argument IMO.

Only people from the Abrahamic religions might be concerned with this question. Personally, as an American Buddhist who is also an atheist, I could care less about God, much less God's opinions on religions.

In Buddhism, while deities have traditionally been believed in, they are at best ancillary to Buddhist practices, a mere side note. Awakened and saintly figures are focused on in some traditions, but they act as guides rather than saviors. Salvation comes from oneself in Buddhism. The Buddha's earliest known teachings are essentially unconcerned with any and all deities, so the Buddhist practitioner can believe in whatever they want to or not and it doesn't really matter.

If you think that one religion is indeed the "right" one, do you believe that following the wrong religion is a "Sin" or on the lighter case, Not the way to salvation.
Please note I'm asking those question out of interest and not because I look for a religion to follow :) (I personally think they are all false).

Since sin is a Christian concept and I am not a Christian, I do not think of a person's religious choice or upbringing as either sinful or righteous.

I do think some religions have a saner handle on the pressing moral and spiritual issues facing humanity, however. For Buddhists, the most pressing issue addressed by religion is existential dissatisfaction (more commonly referred to as suffering) and its solution. It's a religion centered around both compassion and a deeper psychological understanding of how the human mind works, and prescribes certain practices to slowly but surely alleviate oneself from suffering through insight, and thereby improve our experience of life.

I Raise this question because it seems that no matter who i debate, their religion is always seems to be the truth and the valid way to win God's favor.

Well, I'd say you've been exclusively debating certain Christians and Muslims, then. :) Most other religions in the world are not concerned with a single deity, and some are not concerned with deities whatsoever.

Also, If indeed one religion is better than the other, Is it better to be a Good person believing the wrong religion or a Bad person believing the right religion?

And I'm not talking about Good and Bad in a sense of following traditions or Mitzvot..

For example:
For Jews, the Sabath is one of the holiest things..
So is it better to be a thief that keeps the Sabath or A decent honest person who sees Sunday as a holy day?

Regards All, and Happy Rosh hashana

I am most concerned with being compassionate and wise in both mind and action. Whatever deities a person happens to believe in are, frankly, entirely irrelevant imho. I'd take the decent honest person over the thief any day.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
So if i think allowing woman to sing is bad, then it is bad?

If you are truly thinking clearly, then yes. Obviously if you are truly thinking it is bad
then either she has a horrid voice or she is trying to annoy you.

But if you are being spiteful, or contrary and pretending
that her wonderful voice is not so out of jealousy,
then it follows that you are not thinking in the pure sense of the term.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
I believe it is not logical. It is like saying apples and oranges are fruit so oranges should have black seeds like apples. (They have white seeds).

Well maybe not everyone has past lives,
but it would be less logical to claim that my memories of past lives are the only ones anyone ever had.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Hi All,

I Was wondering what you think about the various religions and religion streams in the world.

If you think that one religion is indeed the "right" one, do you believe that following the wrong religion is a "Sin" or on the lighter case, Not the way to salvation.
Please note I'm asking those question out of interest and not because I look for a religion to follow :) (I personally think they are all false).

I Raise this question because it seems that no matter who i debate, their religion is always seems to be the truth and the valid way to win God's favor.

Also, If indeed one religion is better than the other, Is it better to be a Good person believing the wrong religion or a Bad person believing the right religion?

And I'm not talking about Good and Bad in a sense of following traditions or Mitzvot..

For example:
For Jews, the Sabath is one of the holiest things..
So is it better to be a thief that keeps the Sabath or A decent honest person who sees Sunday as a holy day?

Regards All, and Happy Rosh hashana
This is a no brainer.

It is an objective fact that one religion must be better than another regardless of whether any of them are divine.

If they are divine then of course the one that is true is better than those that are false.

While this is very easy to see, let me explain why it is true.

If all religions are manmade and not divine then which ever false religion does the most good and least evil is the best.

However if you claim that all religions are manmade because no God exists then you have ruled out the only foundation possible where actual moral good and evil can even exist. So instead you would have to do what atheists already do and invent what is good and what is bad since without God the entire category of objective morality ceases to exist. Once you have attempted to smuggle in moral values which cannot possibly exist without God then you can determine which religion produces the most outcomes that line up with the arbitrary moral goals you coughed up in a vacuum.

But if you allow for the possibility God exist then just as there are infinitely far less truths than falsehoods it is reasonable to assume that any good God would produce a single true revelation instead of allowing each religion to have only a few distinct bits of truth buried under mountains of man made garbage and since most religions make claims that contradict other faiths then the religion which is the one pure faith given to us from God it would be better than all the others combined.

So no matter what position we begin from there is in fact a religion that is better than all others.

The only question left is which religion it is that is the best. I argue that it is the Christian faith. You can argue for which religion is the best but there is no argument against the inescapable fact that some religion is better than any other religion.

Segev Moran

I were a cockroach or fly I would hope to be killed so that I could incarnate to a higher form.
Yet cockroaches will out live humans and probably every other species exiting to date.. so based on what you claim they are a lower form of life?????
Your point of view is of one that is very arrogant! I Assume you also think there are humans that are a lower form of life? (I really really hope the answer to that question is NO!!!)