• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is(n't) Rap dead yet?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Saying that all rap music is the same mindless dribble means that you are completely unaware of the "whole" of rap music, and generally, you don't care to know.
They don't all sound the same, but when you can't really tell the artist apart on the hip-hop stations, then their is a problem. Same goes for any genre out there, and even individual artists. I use be a huge Mudvayne fan, and when I heard what I thought was new Hell Yeah, only to discover that it was actually Mudvayne, I lost alot of respect for them.

The problem with popular rap, is that rappers are paid to sound like bigots, women abusers, coke dealers, cop killers, when none of it is actually true, THEN is marketed towards kids. See.. this is how capitalism destroys art. When your goal isn't to make money (or popularity for the sake of money), then your artistic expression would have been self-driven, an actual sacrifice of human time, in which you would use it the most wisely. If your goal is making money, then you will make the least-personal, most relatable and marketable thing you can for the sake of accumulation. It's not black and white, there is gray area in between.
Danny Filth gave Epic Records a "hell no" when they told him to change the sound of Cradle of Filth, and they are still a fairly big name, and make probably more money than any other bands in the black/death genre.

dust1n

Zindīq
They don't all sound the same, but when you can't really tell the artist apart on the hip-hop stations, then their is a problem. Same goes for any genre out there, and even individual artists. I use be a huge Mudvayne fan, and when I heard what I thought was new Hell Yeah, only to discover that it was actually Mudvayne, I lost alot of respect for them.
Agreed, it's called payola. It destroys radio.

Danny Filth gave Epic Records a "hell no" when they told him to change the sound of Cradle of Filth, and they are still a fairly big name, and make probably more money than any other bands in the black/death genre.

Epic Records still makes the money either way.

bp789

I haven't listened to a lot of rap. A few rap songs I know are okay. One thing I will say is that Lil' Wayne SUCKS!

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You just don't get it. My post earlier was to show how stupid it is to generalize about something like rap, whether it is race, music, art or whatever.

Let me get this straight. We divide music into different genres based on certain characteristics, but then it's not OK to make general comments about different genres based on those characteristics that are used to classify it in a certain genre?

dust1n

Zindīq
Let me get this straight. We divide music into different genres based on certain characteristics, but then it's not OK to make general comments about different genres based on those characteristics that are used to classify it in a certain genre?

The original poster of said generalization stated that all hip hop was dumbed down, empty, void of anything relevant or purposeful, which is an incorrect generalization, and one generalization which does not defy "hip hop" or "rap".

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
What do you think will be the next wave to replace "Rap"? And how long will it take to arrive? No, really, I mean, need to know. Will Rap survive as long (haha) as Disco? Will it be dying any time soon? Real soon?

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but rap (hip-hop) is a progressive art form. It continues to evolve and move forward and incorporate other genres into it. It's life is long and it will continue to strive.......There was a time in the past where some were saying it was a passing fad...now look at it. I'm not sure you'll see a "new wave" coming in. The art form will gradually change and you won't even know that it did.......(west coast style, east coast, southern rap and rap style from the middle US)....they all are distinct to a degree. I heard an artist the other day from the west coast and one would have thought he was a east coast artist. Then...there's Latin rappers and rappers from China, Japan, India....It will be around for a long, long time....

dust1n

Zindīq
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but rap (hip-hop) is a progressive art form. It continues to evolve and move forward and incorporate other genres into it. It's life is long and it will continue to strive.......There was a time in the past where some were saying it was a passing fad...now look at it. I'm not sure you'll see a "new wave" coming in. The art form will gradually change and you won't even know that it did.......(west coast style, east coast, southern rap and rap style from the middle US)....they all are distinct to a degree. I heard an artist the other day from the west coast and one would have thought he was a east coast artist. Then...there's Latin rappers and rappers from China, Japan, India....It will be around for a long, long time....

Definitely. American Hip-Hop has hit two totally different waves already, and it is constantly change with every new song.

Not to mention, most countries haven't even had their way with it yet.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Epic Records still makes the money either way.
The point is, more artist can give the record companies the bird, and hold to their own style. They can either find a record company that will accommodate their style of sound, or just self release albums. You don't need a major record company to get your name out their, especially today with internet downloading, Myspace, Facebook, and so on. All you need is a good sound, the determination to make it, and a band line up that will stick together. It certainly helps, but more and more bands are making it with a do-it-yourself approach.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
i cant stand Death Metal either, *** **** dirty *** Norwegians!

Lol...... ever heard of Simen Hestens? Norwegian from a black metal band (sounds like death metal in some ways). The youtube link i have provided contains members who are all of death metal origins.

I think you'll be surpised with his voice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP7TzWbLWag&feature=related

To the OP: I wish rap would die. Its a scar on our fair radio channels. There is little room for musical innovation in all the rap i've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

dust1n

Zindīq
Lol...... ever heard of Simen Hestens? Norwegian from a black metal band (sounds like death metal in some ways). The youtube link i have provided contains members who are all of death metal origins.

I think you'll be surpised with his voice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP7TzWbLWag&feature=related

To the OP: I wish rap would die. Its a scar on our fair radio channels. There is little room for musical innovation in all the rap i've seen.

Watch out. Metal is blooming with innovation in comparison to rap!
:cigar::rainbow1:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Anyone remember humpty?

Do you mean from the group (Digital Underground)?....I have Sirius radio and on the Old School Rap station they play them from time to time.

Here's another take guys and gals...Is it the type of hip-hop/rap that some don't like or is it a dislike for all of it?

I'm more old school because I child of the 70's who grew up in the 80's/90's. I find that some of the softer styles of rap....a lot of people can listen to...like (Will Smith)...Some of my frineds liked Biz Markie because he really didn't curse like other rappers.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Saying that all rap music is the same mindless dribble means that you are completely unaware of the "whole" of rap music, and generally, you don't care to know.

The problem with popular rap, is that rappers are paid to sound like bigots, women abusers, coke dealers, cop killers, when none of it is actually true, THEN is marketed towards kids. See.. this is how capitalism destroys art. When your goal isn't to make money (or popularity for the sake of money), then your artistic expression would have been self-driven, an actual sacrifice of human time, in which you would use it the most wisely. If your goal is making money, then you will make the least-personal, most relatable and marketable thing you can for the sake of accumulation. It's not black and white, there is gray area in between.

There are more rappers who rap about poverty, war, politics then there are who rap about pimping, guns, what have you... they just are paid and advertised.

However cool is defined in culture will be the reality for anyone who falls under it's hypnotic spell.

Yes...frubals on your head.....I agree...good words my be wasted on some. (No offense to the some). They have a right to their opinion....:)