• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is New Age a real religion?

nnmartin

I would say it is but the traditionalists tend to disagree. In fact, with just a quick google search on the word 'religion' I straight away came up with opposing views. Some people say that Hinduism is not a religion - surely that is not the view in India I'm sure.

How do you really define a religion and separate it from Spirituality - virtually the same thing really. How can you define God anyway?

IsmailaGodHasHeard

I don't think we have any (active, at least) New Agers on here at the moment..

I hope I do not make anyone angry, but I do not believe that the New Age movement is a religion. It is more like a collection of religions. I know this because I used to be a liberal panentheist, and New Agism was my thing.

lunamoth

Will to love
I think it is a religion in some cases, but New Age is more like a style or approach to religion, rather than a religion in itself.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In my experiences dealing with the New Age community, they have not tended to consider their New Age beliefs a religion. They either fall into the "spiritual but not religious" category or they use New Age beliefs in addition to whatever their primary belief system is (usually Christianity in my country).

Personally, I don't distinguish between religion and spirituality. I also have a fairly broad way of defining religion compared to many, so for me it can easily constitute a religion. However, I will abide by however a given practitioner decides to label themselves when conversing with them.

Angel1

Angel
Theosophists tell us, "There is no religion higher than the Truth."

So forget about religion. They are but bridges that bring us forward to higher truths. Seek for the Truth, directly.

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
:rolleyes: There's nothing like reviving an old thread, but there's a few very interesting thins said here and I have some questions and comments... Hope no one mind and I hope we've got some active New Agers by now...

I don't think we have any (active, at least) New Agers on here at the moment..

Some people say that Hinduism is not a religion - surely that is not the view in India I'm sure

"spiritual but not religious"

I know many religious people, Hindus included, who use the maxim 'it is not a religion, it is a way of life'. I could never understand sayings such as that as well as 'I'm spiritual, but not religious'. I also couldn't ever find any satisfying explanation thereof. IMHO I think people use it because they're afraid of the negative stigma to the word 'religion'. In my own language religion simply means 'service to God'. Then again, maybe it is possible to 'be in spirit' (spiritual) while not giving 'service to God'...

It is more like a collection of religions. I know this because I used to be a liberal panentheist, and New Agism was my thing

I like this idea, that New Age is an umbrella term for many religions, just like Paganism is an umbrella term for reconstructed mythological religions (correct me if I'm wrong). The question I have then is what is these religions specifically called? And how do I recognize them from all the others? I do, however, agree that some New Agers belong to traditional religions while interpreting differently.

I think it is a religion in some cases, but New Age is more like a style or approach to religion, rather than a religion in itself.

This is very interesting. What do you mean by 'style or approach to religion'?

Theosophists tell us, "There is no religion higher than the Truth."

So forget about religion. They are but bridges that bring us forward to higher truths. Seek for the Truth, directly.

I have a big interest in the Theosophical Society and am trying to join them. Are you saying that they are New Agers? If so, why?

Angel1

Angel
:rolleyes: There's nothing like reviving an old thread, but there's a few very interesting thins said here and I have some questions and comments... Hope no one mind and I hope we've got some active New Agers by now...

I know many religious people, Hindus included, who use the maxim 'it is not a religion, it is a way of life'. I could never understand sayings such as that as well as 'I'm spiritual, but not religious'. I also couldn't ever find any satisfying explanation thereof. IMHO I think people use it because they're afraid of the negative stigma to the word 'religion'. In my own language religion simply means 'service to God'. Then again, maybe it is possible to 'be in spirit' (spiritual) while not giving 'service to God'...

I like this idea, that New Age is an umbrella term for many religions, just like Paganism is an umbrella term for reconstructed mythological religions (correct me if I'm wrong). The question I have then is what is these religions specifically called? And how do I recognize them from all the others? I do, however, agree that some New Agers belong to traditional religions while interpreting differently.

This is very interesting. What do you mean by 'style or approach to religion'?

I have a big interest in the Theosophical Society and am trying to join them. Are you saying that they are New Agers? If so, why?

Hello Everyone,

My thoughts on the post above:

1. Because we are living in the New Age, technically, we are all of us new agers. However, the term is more commonly used to refer to those individuals or groups that are actively involved in the advancement of New Age teachings and practices.

2. There is only One God and one Truth. However, God and Truth are multi-faceted, having many sides and stages of appreciation depending on one’s level in the order of evolution. One of the most effective ways of bringing us forward from our initial innocence and ignorance is through the teaching of religions. Each of the religions addresses a particular segment of society, race or nation as in Hinduism, Judaism and Shinto. Others emphasize a particular divine teaching – the concept of the One God of Judaism, the Middle Way of Buddhism, submission to the will of Allah of Islam and the Way of righteousness, love and service taught by Jesus Christ. Earlier religions and those just emerging also have their own particular essential message. They each hold pieces of the puzzle without which God and the Truth cannot be known in full.

The Whole Truth was not given to any one religion or individual but was parceled out in part to all. Every seeker must draw from each and all of the religions and schools the part entrusted to them in order to find “All of the Truth.” Everyone can begin wherever he is situated. Wherever one finds interest, he should learn and master that. And then, he should begin the next new study. Through our many incarnations, we will make the rounds of all, and at the end, we will find the Truth.

3. The term religion to some more thoughtful among us relate to the observance of inconsequential, often worthless, rituals and ceremonies, and the blind obedience attaching to the acceptance of dogmas, unsubstantiated facts and unreasonable or false teachings usually resulting to wars and conflicts. So to set themselves apart from the negative connotations, they qualify their position saying, “It’s not a religion but a way of life, or I am spiritual (usually implying that one is ethical in his dealings and relationships, righteous or virtuous or trying to be) but not religious.” I agree with you regarding the stigma attaching to the term.

4. One cannot be spiritual without serving God. But how can we really serve God?

God is All, a basic divine teaching, not just Hindu, but likewise affirmed even by Jesus, the vine and the branches, and St. Paul, the one body. We are all of us part and parcel of God. We are One. So Jesus instructs us, “What you do to the least of your brothers, you do to me (to God).” Therefore, forget God, because He doesn’t need us to serve Him. Instead, we are to serve our brothers, the parts of Him who are in need. When we serve a part, the whole benefits. To serve our fellowmen is to serve God.

5. The New Age does address all the different religions and schools of thought, past and present. But more than this, New Age is the necessary upgrading of all earlier divine instruction in our world. Learning begins with the simple and progresses to the more complex. Every student resumes his study from where he ended it in his last incarnation and advances from there. This is why all the ancient religions have resurfaced, so they may be reviewed, clarified and upgraded. There must be progress in all areas of spiritual development.

6. All religions are one. There is the unity of all religious teachings. A review of World Religions should prove enlightening to those who will take the time.

Find it here -- http://secrets-of-the-kingdom.blogspot.com/2006/11/world-religions.html

7. The New Age is much, much more than what most people imagine it to be. Yes, the Theosophical Society constitutes an important part, but is nevertheless just one link in the chain that is the New Age Movement.

Click on ‘Aquarian Conspiracy’ -- http://innerquest1.blogspot.com/2006/09/aquarian-conspiracy.html

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I see 'New Age' as just an umbrella term for the rise in popularity of spiritual concepts not part of the previous Judeo-Christian standard in the western world. It is too broad to call it a 'religion' as too much variety falls under the umbrella.

Angel1

Angel
I see 'New Age' as just an umbrella term for the rise in popularity of spiritual concepts not part of the previous Judeo-Christian standard in the western world. It is too broad to call it a 'religion' as too much variety falls under the umbrella.

You are correct in saying that New Age concepts are not part of the previous Judeo-Christian standards. These are new upgrades for the most part. Jesus Christ, himself, told us of this coming period, many times:

"I have used proverbs to tell you these things, but the time is coming when the truth shall not be so veiled and I will speak to you plainly about the Father." (JN 16)

"If you adhere to my teaching, you will really be my disciples; and you shall know the Truth and the Truth shall make you free." (JN 8)

"Oh, there is so much more I want to tell you, but you cannot understand it now. When the Spirit of Holiness and Truth comes, he will guide you into all truth." (JN 16)

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." (JN 14)

"There is so much more I want to tell you. I will come again. I will speak to you plainly."

This is the time of the Holy Spirits and this is what the New Age is all about.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
You are correct in saying that New Age concepts are not part of the previous Judeo-Christian standards. These are new upgrades for the most part. Jesus Christ, himself, told us of this coming period, many times:

This is the time of the Holy Spirits and this is what the New Age is all about.
I believe Jesus studied in the Himalayan region and His full knowledge is lost to the masses that needed simpler understandings.

Last edited:

Angel1

Angel
I believe Jesus studied in the Himalayan region and His full knowledge is lost to the masses that needed simpler understandings.

Gautama and Jesus knew far more than what the others knew, being more evolved than they were. They had access to the knowledge and abilities they had developed in their past incarnations. Gautama did not achieve his enlightenment just by meditating under the Banyan tree, instead, he was able to recollect what he already knew before he was even born in the world. However, both he and Jesus needed to be oriented in regard to the prevailing situation so that they may be able to devise the best plan possible that would ensure the success of their mission.

This is not much different from gathering information or intelligence before setting out on a mission to ensure its success.