• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is nature infinite and eternal?

KelseyR

The eternal optimist!
That good actions or deed lead to good living, where negative action or harming others lead to suffering and pain. The 4 noble truths teach us this.
1. life is suffering (due to attachments)
2. cause of suffering is craving and ignorance
3. the cessation of suffering comes from cessation of craving
4: cessation of suffering is by practicing the 8 folded path

8 fold path is

1. Right understanding (Samma ditthi)
  2. Right thought (Samma sankappa)
  3. Right speech (Samma vaca)
  4. Right action (Samma kammanta)
  5. Right livelihood (Samma ajiva)
  6. Right effort (Samma vayama)
  7. Right mindfulness (Samma sati)
  8. Right concentration (Samma samadhi)

Off topic. It diverts attention from the post in order to promote a specific belief which should be regarded completely antithetical, sorry to say.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Off topic. It diverts attention from the post in order to promote a specific belief which should be regarded completely antithetical, sorry to say.
We can ask the moderators to remove my my post, But i was only answering a direct question to me. But please remove if wished :)

KelseyR

The eternal optimist!
"...Professor Stephen Hawking's final theory on the origin of the universe, which he worked on in collaboration with Professor Thomas Hertog from KU Leuven, has been published in the Journal of High Energy Physics.

The theory of eternal inflation that Hawking and Hertog put forward is based on string theory: a branch of theoretical physics that attempts to reconcile gravity and general relativity with quantum physics, in part by describing the fundamental constituents of the universe as tiny vibrating strings. Their approach uses the string theory concept of holography, which postulates that the universe is a large and complex hologram: physical reality in certain 3-D spaces can be mathematically reduced to 2-D projections on a surface.

Hawking and Hertog developed a variation of this concept of holography to project out the time dimension in eternal inflation. This enabled them to describe eternal inflation without having to rely on Einstein' theory. In the new theory, eternal inflation is reduced to a timeless state defined on a spatial surface at the beginning of time.

"When we trace the evolution of our universe backwards in time, at some point we arrive at the threshold of eternal inflation, where our familiar notion of time ceases to have any meaning," said Hertog.

Hawking's earlier 'no boundary theory' predicted that if you go back in time to the beginning of the universe, the universe shrinks and closes off like a sphere, but this new theory represents a step away from the earlier work. "Now we're saying that there is a boundary in our past," said Hertog.

Hertog and Hawking used their new theory to derive more reliable predictions about the global structure of the universe. They predicted the universe that emerges from eternal inflation on the past boundary is finite and far simpler than the infinite fractal structure predicted by the old theory of eternal inflation.

Their results, if confirmed by further work, would have far-reaching implications for the multiverse paradigm. "We are not down to a single, unique universe, but our findings imply a significant reduction of the multiverse, to a much smaller range of possible universes," said Hawking.

This makes the theory more predictive and testable.

Hertog now plans to study the implications of the new theory on smaller scales that are within reach of our space telescopes. He believes that primordial gravitational waves – ripples in space-time – generated at the exit from eternal inflation constitute the most promising "smoking gun" to test the model. The expansion of our universe since the beginning means such gravitational waves would have very long wavelengths, outside the range of the current LIGO detectors. But they might be heard by the planned European space-based gravitational wave observatory, LISA, or seen in future experiments measuring the cosmic microwave background...."

Taming the multiverse—Stephen Hawking's final theory about the big bang
by University of Cambridge

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-multiversestephen-hawking-theory-big.html

Time has different meanings to the philosopher and the astrophysicist. The latter regards it as beginning with the creation of this particular universe: a means of creating a time scale for reference purposes. Yet time is really just a mental construct. It is linear and perpetual and cannot possibly end. And inflation theory only deals the history of one universe.

KelseyR

The eternal optimist!
We can ask the moderators to remove my my post, But i was only answering a direct question to me. But please remove if wished :)

Forgiven. And I hate the way replies are improperly cached on this site. It makes it really hard to see who spoke first.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
From the 8 fold path one will see that compassion for all living being arise, so yes helping others is also a part of the buddhist way, and since i was 15 i took care of my father when he was sick from cancer, when he died in 2000 i had to take care of my mother who got depressed and ended up with breast cancer and liver cancer so when she died in 2013 i continued to cultivate buddhism, then in 2016 i met the woman who i am engaged with now, she is in a wheelchair and when she need help i help with all that is needed in the home. and in between all the helping i can cultivate the dhamma and meditate. so even i have not helped a lot of people yet i can say my life has been dedicated to helping both others and my self.

I can totally understand that. I have a quadriplegic brother, and a schizophrenic mother and i am always helping them. And i am glad to do it although it requires sacrifices. With my disabilities, and caring for them, i do not get a chance to help as many people as I would like to.

I myself have come to an understanding that there is a right way, and a wrong way of living. I am about positive motivations and cultivating the virtues. All virtues lead toward having compassion.

Unfortunately my suffering is in physical disabilities that i have to bear because there is no cure for them. The only other suffering i have is in ceasing to exist at death.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I believe that it is. If we apply burden of proof to the question it is readily seen that constricting all of nature to one region of space or one span of time would constitute an extraordinary claim. Or do you think that its size and duration should remain a mystery until we can explore all of time and space? That would be a ridiculous task. Yes, this universe will expire- but there would be an infinite number of such existing side by side, and always.

Being 100% honest and completely truthful there is only one answer...

Unknown.

People are free to guess however they want but guesses are not facts.

The fact is that no one knows, and given current understanding, can not know what conditions were prior to the big bang.

If time, and consequently, space existed prior to the big bang then its possible it has always existed.
But
If the bb created time (and space) then nature has existed since then.

Terry Sampson

If time, and consequently, space existed prior to the big bang then its possible it has always existed. But
If the bb created time (and space) then nature has existed since then.

Possible? Did you say "possible"? You said: "Possible."

Careful there ... you could get a reputation for being a loose crackpot among some of the folks around here. Not me, of course. ;)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Possible? Did you say "possible"? You said: "Possible."

Careful there ... you could get a reputation for being a loose crackpot among some of the folks around here. Not me, of course. ;)

I know of 28 hypothesis on how this universe began. It is possible that one (accidentally) describes exactly how it happend. Or it is possible that all are wrong. It is also possible entire Universe was in fact sneezed out of the nose of a being known as the Great Green Arkleseizure

atanu

Premium Member
I believe that it is. If we apply burden of proof to the question it is readily seen that constricting all of nature to one region of space or one span of time would constitute an extraordinary claim.

Then was BB an extraordinary claim?

Does your logic not translate to “Since proposition ‘p’ invites burden of proof, therefore counter positive of ‘p’ is true”?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Relativity seems to indicate it is.

Ciao

- viole

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
If time is a subset of nature, then the OP question makes no sense with regard to eternal.