• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Native American religion restricted those with Native American ancestry?

Antibush5

No, but they will severly judge you. They will think you are some kind of New Ager, unless you can prove otherwise.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Not necessarily... but it can't be practiced out of context of the culture. There are several non-native people who are active participants in First Nations religion and culture... both today and historically. The Cherokee Freedmen are living testament to this. (though not without some inevitable controversy)

wa:do

Wannabe Yogi

Hey everyone! Is Native American religion restricted to those with Native American ancestry?

I am sorry I can see the point of frustration in the native American community.
Every thing has been taken there land, culture, and now their religion.

An example of this in Northern California there is a sacred spring at the base of Mt Shasta. New Agers go their, dance naked, beat drums, have fun in their own ways. Of course they do things that the Indians find offensive and don't allow them the peace to follow their rituals. On a local TV show they showed the native American trying to talk to a group of parting new agers. What was their response "It's a free country" The best thing we could do is treat them and there holy spots with respect. I am sure if thats our cultures attitude many will let other folks from the society at large join in .

We must remember that up till 1970,s it was against the law for some of them to practice their faith. Up till the late 1960's Navaho children were being taken from their home's by social workers sent to Christian Missionary schools and then punished for practicing their faith or speaking Navaho.

nassnass

The foundations are not restricted, for all must know that nobody owns the wind or the waters or the land that we walk upon... much less do we own the Creator and Provider of these gifts.

However, the practices established by individuals, by various houses, and by various communities and nations are often personal. This is not always out of a desire to be exclusive... it may in fact simply be because history is organic, alive and continuing... and not just a series of snapshots. Spirituality encompasses life and is to be shared... but it is not to be dimished by trivializing it to a form easily recognized by curious onlookers.

ZooGirl02

I am sorry I can see the point of frustration in the native American community.
Every thing has been taken there land, culture, and now their religion.

An example of this in Northern California there is a sacred spring at the base of Mt Shasta. New Agers go their, dance naked, beat drums, have fun in their own ways. Of course they do things that the Indians find offensive and don't allow them the peace to follow their rituals. On a local TV show they showed the native American trying to talk to a group of parting new agers. What was their response "It's a free country" The best thing we could do is treat them and there holy spots with respect. I am sure if thats our cultures attitude many will let other folks from the society at large join in .

We must remember that up till 1970,s it was against the law for some of them to practice their faith. Up till the late 1960's Navaho children were being taken from their home's by social workers sent to Christian Missionary schools and then punished for practicing their faith or speaking Navaho.

I totally understand why Native Americans would have a problem with New Agers and such making use of their holy places for such things. I also totally understand why Native Americans would be frustrated about the history of North America. Personally, I think it was wrong for the Europeans to come over here and steal their land, force them out of their land, and take away their culture. I am of exclusively European descent myself and I must say that I am not proud of the history of my race. Of course, I am not deeply ashamed of it either. Caucasians/Europeans (not saying all Europeans are Caucasian btw) have done a great deal of good in this world but then again, so have all other ethnicities/races.

LDox

The over all beliefs are open to all who wish to learn. In fact many believe that every one should live by them. The ceremonies however tend to be more exclusive. Reason being is that they are very personal to those who are practicing. However that being said once one learns the belief it self they can then create ceremonies that allow them show the depth of their belief. This is as it should be for it will have more meaning and be more powerful if it comes from the heart rather than a text.

Well I imagine that anyone adopted by a Native American family would perhaps practice the same customs. So no I don't think it's restricted.

opuntia

Religion is Law
Although I accept Christianity today, I grew up in our native religion. Possibly the best answer is that you would fare better if you were a part of the tribe simply because all religious activities involve native members only. For centuries religion has been practiced within a tribal setting and that has not changed to this day. I know that this may seem inclusive but that is how religion is practiced as I grew up within it. It is possible an outsider may come in, but I have to say that he or she will not be fully accepted until much time has passed as the participant has shown a willingness to remain (mere curiosity is frowned upon).

Although I accept Christianity today, I grew up in our native religion. Possibly the best answer is that you would fare better if you were a part of the tribe simply because all religious activities involve native members only. For centuries religion has been practiced within a tribal setting and that has not changed to this day. I know that this may seem inclusive but that is how religion is practiced as I grew up within it. It is possible an outsider may come in, but I have to say that he or she will not be fully accepted until much time has passed as the participant has shown a willingness to remain (mere curiosity is frowned upon).
Well said oh poster with the cool name that I knew the meaning of right away. Being into botany has its perks! I shall remember to watch where I step when you are near.

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
I don't see why not if one gains an understanding and takes a traditional approach to it. But please honor us by not referring to all our many diverse spiritual beliefs as a religion. It cannot all be stuffed into a bag and carried around like other faiths.

No spirituality should be restricted and people have adopted those of others.

Sammy Davis jr. and Yusuf Islam(Cat Stevens) are good examples.