• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is multiculturalism a failed experiment?

Choose one of the following

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Have western leaders been using their citizens as human Guinea Pigs in a massive cultural experiment that has failed with disastrous consequences?

suncowiam

Have western leaders been using their citizens as human Guinea Pigs in a massive cultural experiment that has failed with disastrous consequences?

Could you lead the question any better?

In my neck of the woods, multiculturalism is thriving.

People just have an open mind about others but then there isn't a predominant race here, so that probably helps also.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
@Vinayaka

Yes, it does. It has just a touch of Argentinian flavor and does not go out of its way to avoid other influences, but you can tell that they are indeed churrasqueiros with a personal experience of Brazilian cuisine.

The drinks, particularly, are a very good representation of Brazilian tastes, while the food is typical of high-end churrascarias (roasted meat houses) of Brazil (and to an extent, Argentina).

In case you are curious, there are foreign-inspired restaurants here as well. I recently met one that attempted to offer Hawaianian food.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'd say we're seeing evidence that it's failed in Europe.

However, good people and bad people come in all races and Religions. I'm trying to purge all bigoted sentiments from my heart. I've known some very good Muslims. I will face Mecca with them, pray, listen, and study the Koran with them.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't think it exactly failed but it's clear multiculturalism is not suited for everybody.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I think we've been trying to export and encourage American culture around the world.

The American Dream, equality, liberty, democracy, free speech, American music, art and sports.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Multiculturalism is a winner. I love living in a neighborhood with Chinese people on one side, Indians on another, Mexicans up the street and so forth. Our local park is a veritable United Nations. Food of any kind is available and I can learn about many different cultures. This is what America is all about - this is the ideal of America and the future of America. This is "e pluribus unum" being born.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No it's not a failed experiment. Look at SF bay area and San Francisco.

There is a Lot of difference between a multicultural society and a society where cultures, races, castes or classes are divided into insular ghettos.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'd say we're seeing evidence that it's failed in Europe.

However, good people and bad people come in all races and Religions. I'm trying to purge all bigoted sentiments from my heart. I've known some very good Muslims. I will face Mecca with them, pray, listen, and study the Koran with them.
Europe's problem isn't multiculturalism (Europe's always been multicultural to an extent) but with two different worldviews attempting to occupy the same space. One is theocratic and retrograde and the other is secular and progressive. They can't jive with each other. Only one can win.

Now true multiculturalism is people of various ethnicities living together with cultures that jive together. That's fine and dandy, but there still needs to be something that unifies them in order to make a true Nation. So I don't have a problem with multiculturalism as such, but I think there needs to be an overculture of sorts to unite everyone.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
multiculturalism was an experiment!?

Multiculturalism: the preservation of different cultures or cultural identities within a unified society, as a state or nation.

Experiment: a test, trial, or tentative procedure; an act or operation for the purpose of discovering something unknown or of testing a principle,supposition, etc.

I don't think by definition is was an experiment, but I am a naive American, what do I know. I guess all I can say is it seems to be working OK in my house