• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Mr Biden Trying to Lose the Election?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Thanks. I'm a little cautious about Vox since I've been burned by them in the past, but that particular article jives with what I've read elsewhere.
There's always ProgressivePunch.

On a personal level, I find much to admire about Ms. Harris, as well as somethings I do not admire. My point, however, is that she seems a net liability candidate when it comes to appealing to certain groups, and that perhaps Mr. Biden could have done better -- especially had he found a more progressive partner.
The Kamala Harris pick will attract/energize many. It will disturb/dismay others (on both the left and the right). Racism, male chauvinism, and identity politics will largely determine the net regional result, while the distortion imposed by our electoral college system will determine the import of these regional results. The calculus of all this is beyond me, but I suspect that the gains will outweigh the looses.

At the same time, I can think of nothing so dangerous at this time than is framing the good as the enemy of the perfect. Both Biden and Harris could have been far more progressive in the past. Much the same could be said of Obama. So we keep up the pressure. Such is politics. But the fact remains, a Biden/Harris regime will represent an immense qualitative improvement.

I'll be 75 in September. I'm bless with a wonderful wife, kids, and grandkids, and this November I'll likely cast the most important vote in my life.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
That will happen anyway.
In this case, focus upon the different groups finding common cause.
And common cause is really, really hard. But the truth is, there are a whole lot of common causes that Americans (or anybody else, for that matter) could uncover, if they just decided to look for them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Words should appear in a particular order
to achieve the intended meaning. But you
also added some, entirely altering it.
No. You said stuff, gave no names, so I returned your words of strawman that you passed off to me recently (I did say it's a foolish road to take).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Is it really as simply as that? I don't think so.
It kind of is. Jesus said how you treat the least among you is how you treat him. Trump has been a curse for minorities and women. Do you really think Jesus would be OK if Trump made fun of him for limping around over those holes in his ankles or having a hard time gripping things with the holes in his wrist? Would Jesus be OK if Trump told him he wpuld protect his rights amd he's free to use the restroom in his place, but then discard his rights? Would Jesus appreciate if he was told he wasnt allowed in because of the place he was born? Would he turn the other cheek or turn into his fiery Revelations incarnation when Trump grabs him by the *****?
According to Jesus, Trump has done all of those things to him, and his supporters cheer him on. Trump is Pilate, his supporters the crowd demanding Christ be put to death.

Rational Agnostic

No, thats called being smart and leadung by example. Wr should all be avoiding public gatherings like the plague. Because theres a good chance the plague is in the crowd.

Then the whole convention should be held virtually. The fact that there is an in-person convention but Biden won't show up for it is a bad look for him IMO. My understanding is that there won't even be crowds at the convention--it's only a few select important people who are allowed to go after they've been tested for the virus. So the risk to Biden would be near zero if he took precautions.

Rational Agnostic

It kind of is. Jesus said how you treat the least among you is how you treat him. Trump has been a curse for minorities and women. Do you really think Jesus would be OK if Trump made fun of him for limping around over those holes in his ankles or having a hard time gripping things with the holes in his wrist? Would Jesus be OK if Trump told him he wpuld protect his rights amd he's free to use the restroom in his place, but then discard his rights? Would Jesus appreciate if he was told he wasnt allowed in because of the place he was born? Would he turn the other cheek or turn into his fiery Revelations incarnation when Trump grabs him by the *****?
According to Jesus, Trump has done all of those things to him, and his supporters cheer him on. Trump is Pilate, his supporters the crowd demanding Christ be put to death.

The reason evangelicals like @KenS support Trump is pretty obvious. It's the abortion issue. Abortion is one issue that neither side is willing to compromise on.

Nova2216

You, who call yourself "Christian," actually like somebody who spends most of his life trashing other people? Is that what Christ taught you? Or were you listening?
Mt 23:24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

Judge righteous judgment (Jn 7:24)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Mt 23:24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

Judge righteous judgment (Jn 7:24)
Judge not, that ye be not judged.
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? (Matthew 7:1-3)

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
People love wallowing in their differences.
Okay, but is wallowing really what we humans want to do, or are there other critters that works better for?

I think, without much evidence, that wallowing in our differences never actually achieves much. But an honest inquiry into what our different needs/views are can sometimes yield positive results. You might look, for example, at the negotiations over the Sinai after the 6-day war. Once both sides realized that they were really seeking safety over a limited land area, agreement turned out to be pretty easy.

Egypt–Israel Peace Treaty - Wikipedia

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Okay, but is wallowing really what we humans want to do, or are there other critters that works better for?

I think, without much evidence, that wallowing in our differences never actually achieves much. But an honest inquiry into what our different needs/views are can sometimes yield positive results. You might look, for example, at the negotiations over the Sinai after the 6-day war. Once both sides realized that they were really seeking safety over a limited land area, agreement turned out to be pretty easy.

Egypt–Israel Peace Treaty - Wikipedia
I enjoy your optimism & seeking of common ground.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Elections are generally won by winning the centre, not the extremes.

So...as an Australian...I'm very strong on this. Placing a peg in the centre lands you both centrists AND people to the left/right of that peg, since they are not going to vote for the other side.
However...
We have mandatory voting. And the US has low participation rates. So I'm never quite sure how much a US election is about convincing people to vote, as opposed to convincing them to vote for you (if you can see the difference).
@Sunstone, does that make any sense?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Not making a support for Trump but rather refuting your position.King David murdered and committed adultery but God forgave and called him His friend. Saul murdered people but God chose him and he became the Apostle Paul.

But in reference to your position... it isn't that simple as we had lying Hilary or him. There are other reasons that people vote... as it was for me. It was just about the Court system and, more importantly, the Supreme Court.