• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Mr Biden Trying to Lose the Election?

Daemon Sophic

Ms Harris more progressive? Sounds like you've been listening to some low grade news sources. Maybe Fox, maybe MSNBC? If you truly think Ms Harris is more progressive than Mr Biden, please name three positions on which she is significantly more progressive.
Try this site.....here.

From that some issues that she has addressed, which are either equal to Biden’s most progressive views, or significantly more progressive.....
1. Pro- Choice.
2. For the legalization of pot.
3. Supports the Green New Deal (which is IMO crucial for Americ’s survival and eventual return to “greatness”.
4. Her job was as a state prosecutor. Many are slamming her for prosecuting criminals, yet that was what she was hired to do. :rolleyes:
However, in the lead of that office she prosecuted fewer people in the mortgage crisis than in smaller state and supported funding for those with underwater mortgages. Ran as and always was against death penalty. More for reform of justice system, and removal of private prisons.
5. Officiated same-sex marriages as early as 2004.
6. For increased taxes on the top 1% and on larger banks.
7. 100% lifetime score from the League of Conservation Voters. (Jan 2019)
8. No gun ownership for dangerous convicts or mentally ill. (Apr 2016). Rated 7% by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun control voting record. (Dec 2010). Supports restrictions on right to bear arms. (Nov 2016)
Her job was to be a criminal prosecutor, so the far left (and bots from the right) are trying to hold that against her. But she seems good and progressive enough for me. :cool:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems like more of the same. The 'Democratic Party' and the 'Republican Party' don't have to listen to anybody not really, and I don't think common people feel that invited to get personally involved beyond making donations. It looks like you have to sell your soul to become involved. Biden gets the nomination, because he is next in line to get it having done a lot of successful fund raising and keeping his position for many years. He's not going to be president because he's popular but because he's in with that party.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Ran as and always was against death penalty. More for reform of justice
Nope. She appealed a California judge who ruled the death penalty unconstitutional. She kept the prisons stuffed (not good because those are largely in the Central Valley, in very dusty locations, and inmates being prone to Valley Fever infections in that environment is a concern). She was more bad than good as AG.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But I'm interested in what can win the election, not a specific left wing cause that may not appeal much to the floating voter. Do you really think police reform will prove to be a big vote-winner?
Police reform is a "left wing" cause?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nope. She appealed a California judge who ruled the death penalty unconstitutional. She kept the prisons stuffed (not good because those are largely in the Central Valley, in very dusty locations, and inmates being prone to Valley Fever infections in that environment is a concern). She was more bad than good as AG.
She opposes private prisons.
Apparently she wants maintaining the terrible conditions to be government jobs.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
As you might know, the presidential race is significantly closer than the news reports of it would seem to indicate. Mr. Trump is the first president in American history to have never risen above 50% approval in the Gallup Tracking Poll at any point during his presidency, yet he is within striking distance of closing the gap between himself and Mr. Biden to win re-election. Moreover, that gap historically narrows as election day nears.

So perhaps you might expect Mr. Biden to be doing everything to expand the Democratic base, bring in new voters and groups, and advance and consolidate his lead.

As it happens, he is not. On the contrary, he seems to be giving the finger to major groups of potential supporters. For instance, he has just picked Kamala Harris as his running mate, a person who offends numbers of Democrats, who racked up a record as an Attorney General of oppressing certain generally defenseless groups of people, and who is less popular in the Black community than Elizabeth Warren.

Meanwhile, his outreach to Hispanics is in many key areas of the country -- such as North Carolina -- virtually non-existent. As is his outreach to younger voters.

Again, he offers progressives -- who accounted for about 40% of the vote in the primary -- absolutely nothing of substance in order to woo their votes. He seems to be so anti-progressive that I'm starting to hear people say that Mr. Biden's real goal cannot be to beat Mr. Trump, but rather to crush the progressive movement in America. Since I'm not a mind-reader, I can't say that's what he's thinking, but his behavior does seem consistent with that. It makes me wonder if something like or similar to it is not actually true. Maybe he wants to both win the election and crush the progressives at the same time. But if so, can he?

As for myself, I still hope Mr. Biden wins, but I would not be surprised if Mr. Trump is re-elected, given Mr. Biden's apparent mismanagement of his campaign.

Which major progressive positions does K. Harris not support?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd cede that Biden on his own is very much old-school neo-con Dem, but he's trying to suck up to the far left. I don't like the act of 'sucking up'... Trump certainty had the potential to be worse than what he is. But, after him being in office for nearly 4 years it's hard to make the sensational arguments anymore just because the proof doesn't bear it out. Is he perfect? No one is, but is he worse than Joe? I doubt it.

Trump is sitting in the oval office because the Dems keep pushing substanceless sell-out candidates that have no gravitas at all with the backbone of the country. (AKA, the nuclear family, hard-working Joe's and Jane's.) These are the people that the Dems have abandoned and it's why they're losing. They figure that out or they keep losing.
Trump is the most incompetent leader compared to Biden by far. He is actually worse than anybody I have seen or read. Anybody at all will be better than Trump. Hope he gets out of the White House and then into federal prison pronto.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Private prisons are even worse.
That's commonly believed.
But I know both guards & inmates (former) who've served in both.
Your claim, even if true, is faint praise.
We need reform....not de-privatization, which is mere political pandering.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
More or less. RW types tend to do more supporting and claiming the cops are doing just fine.
I know conservatives who loathe the way cops behave.
They too get on the receiving end of bad apples.

Reform is really a libertarian thing.
We've been pushing it all along.
Liberals only recently got off the Crime Bill bandwagon,
what with the riots & all...they sense political opportunity.
But if they really intend to make some real change, & do
some real good, then more power to'm. We shall see.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you have anything else other than these strawmen claims?
Do you have anything more than tired liberal stereotypes?
When you guys had the power, you didn't act on reform.

But I do see potential for rightish fans of constitutional civil
liberty, & leftish supporters of BLM having common ground
here with libertarians. The time is ripe for real broad reform.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Do you have anything more than tired liberal stereotypes?
When you guys had the power, you didn't act on reform.

But I do see potential for rightish fans of constitutional civil
liberty, & leftish supporters of BLM having common ground
here with libertarians. The time is ripe for real broad reform.
Why do we spend so much time with labels, rather than arguments? "LIberal stereotypes?" "Rightish" and "Leftish?"

You want real, broad reform, then I suggest it starts with listening to everybody, not shutting down every argument that doesn't come from "the correct political position."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why do we spend so much time with labels, rather than arguments? "LIberal stereotypes?" "Rightish" and "Leftish?"

You want real, broad reform, then I suggest it starts with listening to everybody, not shutting down every argument that doesn't come from "the correct political position."
Thus, now is a great opportunity for multiple wings
to coalesce into a force for positive reform.

Rational Agnostic

As you might know, the presidential race is significantly closer than the news reports of it would seem to indicate. Mr. Trump is the first president in American history to have never risen above 50% approval in the Gallup Tracking Poll at any point during his presidency, yet he is within striking distance of closing the gap between himself and Mr. Biden to win re-election. Moreover, that gap historically narrows as election day nears.

So perhaps you might expect Mr. Biden to be doing everything to expand the Democratic base, bring in new voters and groups, and advance and consolidate his lead.

As it happens, he is not. On the contrary, he seems to be giving the finger to major groups of potential supporters. For instance, he has just picked Kamala Harris as his running mate, a person who offends numbers of Democrats, who racked up a record as an Attorney General of oppressing certain generally defenseless groups of people, and who is less popular in the Black community than Elizabeth Warren.

Meanwhile, his outreach to Hispanics is in many key areas of the country -- such as North Carolina -- virtually non-existent. As is his outreach to younger voters.

Again, he offers progressives -- who accounted for about 40% of the vote in the primary -- absolutely nothing of substance in order to woo their votes. He seems to be so anti-progressive that I'm starting to hear people say that Mr. Biden's real goal cannot be to beat Mr. Trump, but rather to crush the progressive movement in America. Since I'm not a mind-reader, I can't say that's what he's thinking, but his behavior does seem consistent with that. It makes me wonder if something like or similar to it is not actually true. Maybe he wants to both win the election and crush the progressives at the same time. But if so, can he?

As for myself, I still hope Mr. Biden wins, but I would not be surprised if Mr. Trump is re-elected, given Mr. Biden's apparent mismanagement of his campaign.

I doubt Biden is trying to lose. But it's a shame the Democratic Party picked such a bad candidate. He certainly has a decent chance of losing to Trump, especially since he shows no leadership or strength. He won't even show up to his own convention because he's scared of getting sick. That's almost like a president hiding in a bunker during a war while ordering his minions to do his dirty work for him.