• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is man rising or falling?

tomspug

Absorbant
Do you believe that mankind is slowly ascending towards greatness or slowly descending into destruction?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I think we're evolving. I don't think we're going in any particular direction, just evolving.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
A good question... sometimes I think, "I was born in the wrong period of history... I should be a 1945 guy... they had respect then" but when you look at that part of history people's were lacking our modern sensitivities e.g. equal rights for all races, colours and creeds and both the sexes.

Then I sometimes think, "Wow, look at how more aware we are about issues in this day and age. It's not perfect, but we're getting there". But when you look at the world today, we're all still ignorant to what matters. We're becomming complacent, greedy and spoiled in general.

So I'm not really sure I can answer your question. I mean people are capable of anything given the right incentives. You think about the inquisition... people have a sick, twisted ability to cause one another harm... you might think, "That's because people back then weren't as morally aware as us... we're better" but we're not... people would resort to the same things even in the civilised world if basic needs were not met.

So I guess (sorry I'm extremely tired and my head is full of maths related stuff) that people are fallen... we're not getting better, we're not getting worse. We are what we are.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Rising? Falling?

We're a planetary infection, currently killing our host.

Our future is uncertain.

were falling realy hard luckaly i got a bungyrope around my feet so im bouncing up again

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I believe society is progressing both in terms of knowledge and morality. However taking into account environmental degradation and overpopulation we may be ascending straight for a cliff. If that is the case it won’t be a slow descent.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Do you believe that mankind is slowly ascending towards greatness or slowly descending into destruction?

Neither and both. I agree with mball that we are evolving, always have and always will be. Now, though, as a society we are simultaneously learning, expanding our minds, opening up to differences, becoming more educated about our world and the people and life in it,...AND finding new and more efficient ways of killing each other, building better bombs, arguing over beliefs, waging wars and propogating hate. At this point we could go either way. We could work towards a more peaceful and utopian world...OR we could blow each other to smithereens and some other race will eventually evolve up to take our place as the main figureheads of this planet. Who knows at this point?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
chickenbetterworse.jpg

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
If we're as dependent on the integrity of the Biosphere as I suspect we are and its as strained as I think it is then civilisation is in for a spectacular tumble. I do hope that I'm wrong or that something I do not expect will change our prospects. In any case I doubt I'll be around to find out.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB

would it not depend on the goal? Were stil breeding like rabbits, so we are far from extinction. What is your so called destruction?

As others have said, both. It seems that when we solve problems we create new ones.
And every new problem gets solved again, creating everlasting thinking, isn't that the most beautifull thing?