• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Lying And Kidnapping Justified By Scriptures?

Natas

Is it sometimes ok, e.g. to protect an innocent, such as a child? I guess another way to state it is do you feel that God ever justifies lying or kidnapping for any reason?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Natas said:
Is it sometimes ok, e.g. to protect an innocent, such as a child? I guess another way to state it is do you feel that God ever justifies lying or kidnapping for any reason?
i think that if you lie, it may take a day, a week, a year, or even 10 years, but you will be found out

its not worth it to lie - i have found that by lying you cause your self to lie even more to cover it up, and then you lie even more ot cover that up - and if you have a dud memory you can easily get confused in the lies you've told

i dont think it is justified to lie about anything, big or small

kidnapping, no, if you think a child is in danger, phone social services, dont take it into your own hands

Melody

Yes, I do. If my lie would mean the difference between life and death for someone, I would lie.

Do I think it's a sin God won't forgive? Not my God who knows the motivation of my heart and knows why I lied.

As someone said in another thread, the Bible does show examples:

In Joshua 2, Rahab lies to the king's men to protect Joshua's spies. God saves her when the rest of the town is destroyed. If lying were unforgiveable, would He not have let her be killed along with the rest even though her lie helped His cause?

Abraham lied when asked if Sarah was his wife in order to protect her from being forcible taken away and yet he was a "friend of God".

If I am in the same position where my lie saves a life, I believe God will be merciful and forgive me.

Apotheosis

I guess it depends on the circumstances, nowadays there really isnt any excuse for kidnapping anyone, but lying to save yourself or others is certainly better than dying.

Natas

Melody said:
Yes, I do. If my lie would mean the difference between life and death for someone, I would lie.

Do I think it's a sin God won't forgive? Not my God who knows the motivation of my heart and knows why I lied..
Ok, I understand that you personally feel it's ok when it's a life or death situation, but is lying justified by scripture?

Melody said:
As someone said in another thread, the Bible does show examples:

In Joshua 2, Rahab lies to the king's men to protect Joshua's spies. God saves her when the rest of the town is destroyed. If lying were unforgiveable, would He not have let her be killed along with the rest even though her lie helped His cause?
The passage you're refering to here makes no mention that I can see of God saving Rahab. Rather it is the pact she makes with the two spies that saves her.

Melody said:
Abraham lied when asked if Sarah was his wife in order to protect her from being forcible taken away and yet he was a "friend of God"..
If you are refering to Genesis 20, Abimelech took Sarah from Abraham AFTER he declared her to be his sister It makes no mention of lying being ok in this story.

Melody said:
If I am in the same position where my lie saves a life, I believe God will be merciful and forgive me.
Again, I understand that you personally feel it's ok when it's a life or death situation, but is lying justified by scripture? Is kidnapping for any reason?

Natas

Apotheosis said:
I guess it depends on the circumstances, nowadays there really isnt any excuse for kidnapping anyone,
Agreed!

Apotheosis said:
but lying to save yourself or others is certainly better than dying.
While one may/may not agree with your assertion here, to your knowledge, is this supported anywhere in the bible?