• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Luke 14:33 Valid for Believers/Christians/Disciples?

Is Luke 14:33 Valid?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wish I didn't have to answer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

74x12

I think the Sermon on the Plain was directed at everyone in attendance, and there he condemned people who were "wealthy" enough not to go hungry occasionally:

“But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your comfort already.
“Woe to you who are well satisfied with food now, for you will be hungry.

It's a common theme throughout the Gospels: Jesus presents everyone with a choice between poverty now and the Kingdom later, or comfort now and no reward later.
All what I previously posted being correct. Yet, I do agree that there is a kind of play on concepts here(instead of a play on words). The fact is that poorer people will have an easier time being saved than the rich people which is pointed out in various scriptures.

Rich people already have everything they need and so they feel that they don't need to trust God.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
All what I previously posted being correct. Yet, I do agree that there is a kind of play on concepts here(instead of a play on words). The fact is that poorer people will have an easier time being saved than the rich people which is pointed out in various scriptures.

Rich people already have everything they need and so they feel that they don't need to trust God.
I don't think it's just that poorer people will have an easier time. Over and over again in the Gospels, Jesus says that he has come to upend the social order: "first shall be last and last shall be first." He has come to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

You aren't the first person to suggest the interpretation you're describing; "woe to the rich!" sure doesn't sell well when you're soliciting donations from wealthy donors when you're trying to build a cathedral.

Still, the idea that you're suggesting - that the first will stay first if they're pious enough, basically - goes directly against Jesus's promise of complete social upheaval.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
It always is like that even for non christians.

Not necessarily just like that, however its similar. And add to that, if you are called, then its different from a choice, too.

Trust me, if you want to play with the big cheeses you had better be prepared.

Or go find something else to do.

74x12

I don't think it's just that poorer people will have an easier time. Over and over again in the Gospels, Jesus says that he has come to upend the social order: "first shall be last and last shall be first." He has come to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

You aren't the first person to suggest the interpretation you're describing; "woe to the rich!" sure doesn't sell well when you're soliciting donations from wealthy donors when you're trying to build a cathedral.

Still, the idea that you're suggesting - that the first will stay first if they're pious enough, basically - goes directly against Jesus's promise of complete social upheaval.
Remember the people who thought Jesus was asking them to be cannibals? (John 6:53-66) You are taking Jesus too literally. Jesus said some very profound things. For example; Jesus claimed that if someone hears His Word and doesn't understand it; then the evil one comes and takes the seed out of their heart so it can't be fruitful. (Matthew 13:19) In other words; they have no benefit from what they heard because they did not understand it.

So there are three things emphasized in the scriptures. Each one more important than the last. Knowledge without understanding is useless and understanding unless it is applied is not true wisdom. Wisdom is the skill to apply the knowledge which we have really understood.

1. Knowledge
  2. Understanding
  3. Wisdom

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I believe I don't see it as that specific. To me a disciple is one who has Jesus as Lord and a follower is one who thinks he can manage to be like Jesus through his own efforts.

So do you think Christians should take Luke 14:33 to heart?