• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is living forever a fate worse than death?

dingdao

The eternal Tao cannot be told - Tao Te Ching
I can just imagine the Day of Reckoning.

The Sun going red giant and everybody's sweatin with flesh burning while watching the star get bigger and bigger....

You know it sounds like a pretty good description of the biblical hell come to think of it.
That's fictionalized as a Dr Who episode and Isaiah's end of the world.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I did not know you believe in reincarnation. I do not believe anyone ever comes back to this earth. I believe that we will continue to progress in the spiritual world for eternity and when we get to the higher spheres we will experience Oneness, although we will always retain our individuality.
As I recall, that state is described in the book entitled The Afterlife Revealed, in one of the last chapters.
That book is very much on the same page as my beliefs.

Vee

Premium Member
Weither religious or not, what would be the repercussions be if immortality was possible?

Would it be great, or a waking nightmare?

Is Silicon Valley's quest for immortality a fate worse than death?

Depends on what kind of life we have. People who want to die are normally suffering so they see death as a way to end their pain, but those who are happy and having a good time are not going around saying "Ok, I've had enough fun, I want to die now".
The longer you live the more wonderful things you can do, if you have the health and the energy.

QuestioningMind

Not in my opinion... I am ready to blow this joint as soon as I can... The only thing I really like about it is nature and the animals and some people, but there will be plenty of people in the spiritual world, just not all the stress we have to deal with in the material world.

I'm sorry to hear that. As difficult and stressful as life can be at times, I find it to be a wonderfully marvelous ride that I will hate to see come to an end.

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
well, it depends on where you spent eternity ... Heaven or Hell
That is only a valid concern if there actually IS such places as this "heaven" or "hell".
Obviously YOU must believe it, otherwise you wouldn't mention it. The biggest reason I do not believe as you do in such places, is the absolute dearth of supporting evidence to back any such claims up.
In regards to the question itself......eternity in "heaven" may well BECOME as though the person is in "Hell".......and the really scary part about it, is there IS NO ESCAPE clause available.....once you are there, you are THERE, forEVER.

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
All of this. Plus, people had better be prepared to give up procreation if they want to keep themselves on the planet. That's going to rub most people the wrong way.
What makes you thing that we, the human race, will be locked onto the surface of this particular planet, forEVER?

Aye, let's go screw up the rest of the universe too!
The only redeeming thought along those lines, is that it IS a really BIG universe, and it will take us a while to screw it ALL up :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Indeed, just accept that we are unbelievably lucky to be alive and make the most of our very short time on earth. Embrace friends and family, enjoy nature and generally be good to others and help those in need.
That sounds good to me. I think gratefulness is a good attitude. Whatever you do you do for the sake of good, not expecting a reward in an afterlife. You may get one anyway but I don’t think it matters if you know that ahead of time... It will just be like a surprise party when you die and discover you are not dead. I cannot say what will happen after that, God has kept that under His Hat. :D

I think that what people believe determines their attitude towards life and how they live. Of course, not all atheists think alike nor do all believers think alike. I live in the here and now and try not to think of the future, even my future in this life. I am as sure the afterlife exists as I am sure I will die someday but I try not to worry about it. Whatever will be will be and there is nothing *I* can do about it but try to live according to my principles and improve my character.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But, the point is that unless there is an *infinite* amount to know and an *infinite* capacity to know, eventually you will know all you can and have reviewed it a billion times in excruciating detail. Similarly, unless there is an *infinite* amount to do and an *infinite* capacity to do it, eventually you will have done everything you can a billion times over.

I see no alternative to insanity in this.
There is an *infinite* amount to know and humans have an *infinite* capacity to know, and there is an *infinite* amount to do and an *infinite* capacity to do it in the afterlife.

That is one way that the afterlife differs from this life; in this life we have the capacity to know but time is limited and what we are able to do is limited by many factors that restrict our activities, thus we are not entirely free. Once the shackles of the physical body and the requirements of living in the material world are removed we will be like a bird who has been freed from a cage. What happens after that is anyone’s best guess. o_O

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That book is very much on the same page as my beliefs.
I am glad to hear that. I love that book. :)

As I recall, somewhere in that book Tymn says that the value in knowing something about the afterlife is that it gives this life more meaning.

BTW, thanks for posting that website AFTERLIFE SCIENCES. I saved that so I can read on it later, when I ever have time!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'm sorry to hear that. As difficult and stressful as life can be at times, I find it to be a wonderfully marvelous ride that I will hate to see come to an end.
I guess if you have nothing to compare it to, this life can seem pretty good, as long as your life is not fraught with suffering. The advantage of having suffering is so we do not get too attached to this world, since it will end eventually.

I kind of made it sound worse than it is. My life is not that bad. It certainly has never been a walk in the park, and right now I am under a lot of stress, but I am hoping for better days. I am not really ready to blow this joint yet, as there are many things I would like to do as well as things I need to do.

I will probably hate to see this life come to an end too, mostly because I am scared to death of death and what lies in the Great Beyond. I do not mind God being a mystery, but I do not like the afterlife to be such a mystery, yet for the most part it is.

This life will eventually come to an end for all of us but for me it is comforting that will not be “the end” but rather a new beginning. I do not expect to convince any atheists of that, they will just have to wait and see for themselves. :)

QuestioningMind

I guess if you have nothing to compare it to, this life can seem pretty good, as long as your life is not fraught with suffering. The advantage of having suffering is so we do not get too attached to this world, since it will end eventually.

I kind of made it sound worse than it is. My life is not that bad. It certainly has never been a walk in the park, and right now I am under a lot of stress, but I am hoping for better days. I am not really ready to blow this joint yet, as there are many things I would like to do as well as things I need to do.

I will probably hate to see this life come to an end too, mostly because I am scared to death of death and what lies in the Great Beyond. I do not mind God being a mystery, but I do not like the afterlife to be such a mystery, yet for the most part it is.

This life will eventually come to an end for all of us but for me it is comforting that will not be “the end” but rather a new beginning. I do not expect to convince any atheists of that, they will just have to wait and see for themselves. :)

Unless this isn't the first life you've lived, you don't have anything to compare it to either.

Personally I have no fear of death. From the evidence available to me, it appears that death is simply the end of existence. And since I didn't exist before I was born and didn't find that to be frightening, I have no reason to believe that not existing at the end of my life will be any more frightening. If by some miracle it turns out that there IS an afterlife, I just see that as a bonus. I have absolutely no reason to expect that any such afterlife would be something to be scared of.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'm late to this party so missed your post. I will say I don't think living for eternity is a very well thought out plan for those who believe in such a thing.
I am not big on the idea of living forever in some strange dimension, but I would like to pass along what my husband always says when I complain about the afterlife.
If God created a spiritual world in which we will live forever, we should not throw that back at Him and say He made a mistake, not anymore than we should shun this earthly life that God created for us. My husband considers that sacrilegious.
Thankfully, I don't believe in any of that so I'm all set.:)
Just remember one thing; our beliefs or non-beliefs do not create reality, so if there IS an afterlife you will have one whether you like it or not... That is straight from my husband. :D
But if it makes you feel better NOT to believe in an afterlife, I see no harm in that, not anymore than there is any harm to believers who believe in an afterlife, as long as it does not take them away from what they need to do in this life. It is kind of like the person who looks forward to going to Europe someday, even though they may or may not ever be able to go to Europe. :):(

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Unless this isn't the first life you've lived, you don't have anything to compare it to either.
That is a point well taken, but I do have something to compare it to even though I have not lived any other life. I have testimonies of people who have had NDEs who have had glimpses into the afterlife, and much has been written by mediums who have communicated with spirits who exist in the spiritual world. I know you do not consider this evidence, but I do because it correlates with what Baha'u'llah revealed about the afterlife. I consider that cross-verification, even though it cannot be proven in any objective way.
Personally I have no fear of death. From the evidence available to me, it appears that death is simply the end of existence. And since I didn't exist before I was born and didn't find that to be frightening, I have no reason to believe that not existing at the end of my life will be any more frightening. If by some miracle it turns out that there IS an afterlife, I just see that as a bonus. I have absolutely no reason to expect that any such afterlife would be something to be scared of.
That is a logical way to look at it. If you are dead you won't exist so what is there to fear?
Yes, that is a good way to look at it, not to get your hopes up that there is something more, but seeing it as a bonus if there is.
It is a given for me that there is an afterlife just as it is a given that I will die someday. That is because i am very firm in my religious beliefs, but also because it makes sense to me that there has to be an afterlife, because otherwise this life would have no purpose. Why go through all of this just to have it come to an end? I cannot believe we are put on this earth just to reproduce and enjoy life and then die.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I dont see what the big deal is about Oneness. Commonality with individuality is enough for me.

If i was one with everybody that would drive me nuts.

Also what good is consciousness without individuality?

I dont want to meld together with everybody like one big soup.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I dont see what the big deal is about Oneness. Commonality with individuality is enough for me.

If i was one with everybody that would drive me nuts.

Also what good is consciousness without individuality?

I dont want to meld together with everybody like one big soup.
I agree with you on that. I want to keep my individuality while at the same time being in harmony with everyone around me. I believe that is how it will be in the afterlife, for those of us who are in harmony with others here.

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
I think the optimum would be to have immortality with the capability of self termination at any time.
ABSOLUTELY, there needs to be an "escape clause", in the event that living eternally DOES seem to be turning into some kind of "hell".

QuestioningMind

That is a point well taken, but I do have something to compare it to even though I have not lived any other life. I have testimonies of people who have had NDEs who have had glimpses into the afterlife, and much has been written by mediums who have communicated with spirits who exist in the spiritual world. I know you do not consider this evidence, but I do because it correlates with what Baha'u'llah revealed about the afterlife. I consider that cross-verification, even though it cannot be proven in any objective way.

That is a logical way to look at it. If you are dead you won't exist so what is there to fear?
Yes, that is a good way to look at it, not to get your hopes up that there is something more, but seeing it as a bonus if there is.
It is a given for me that there is an afterlife just as it is a given that I will die someday. That is because i am very firm in my religious beliefs, but also because it makes sense to me that there has to be an afterlife, because otherwise this life would have no purpose. Why go through all of this just to have it come to an end? I cannot believe we are put on this earth just to reproduce and enjoy life and then die.

I can appreciate that reports of NDE's might be a swaying factor for you. However, in that I have experienced hallucinations that cannot be distinguished from reality, I'm hyper aware of just capable the human mind is of deluding itself. So the idea that the human brain might create elaborate hallucinations when a person is near death doesn't surprise me in the least.