• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is life an illusion?

Is life an illusion?

• Yes

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Depends

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

idav

Being
Premium Member
I don't have a clue as to what (if any) relevance your assertions here are supposed to have to my comment that "obviously non-living matter does not have illusions, or false perceptions. Rocks and rivers never hallucinate." If you ever come across any evidence by which to conclude that my statement is false, be sure to cite it.
We are the river and the rock, there is no I. We are matter having illusions so, no, it isn't obvious as you say.

Nous

Premium Member
We are the river and the rock, there is no I.
No, you're not a river or a rock. Again, these are some of the characteristics that distinguish living organisms from natural non-living things, such as rocks and rivers:

1. Homeostasis: regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state; for example, sweating to reduce temperature

2. Organization: being structurally composed of one or more cells – the basic units of life

3. Metabolism: transformation of energy by converting chemicals and energy into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism). Living things require energy to maintain internal organization (homeostasis) and to produce the other phenomena associated with life.

4. Growth: maintenance of a higher rate of anabolism than catabolism. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter.

5. Adaptation: the ability to change over time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of evolution and is determined by the organism's heredity, diet, and external factors.

6. Response to stimuli: a response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism to external chemicals, to complex reactions involving all the senses of multicellular organisms. A response is often expressed by motion; for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun (phototropism), and chemotaxis.

7. Reproduction: the ability to produce new individual organisms, either asexually from a single parent organism or sexually from two parent organisms.
Life - Wikipedia

To ignore these differences between living organisms and non-livine things is an exercise in deliberate ignorance.

idav

Being
Premium Member
No, you're not a river or a rock. Again, these are some of the characteristics that distinguish living organisms from natural non-living things, such as rocks and rivers:

1. Homeostasis: regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state; for example, sweating to reduce temperature

2. Organization: being structurally composed of one or more cells – the basic units of life

3. Metabolism: transformation of energy by converting chemicals and energy into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism). Living things require energy to maintain internal organization (homeostasis) and to produce the other phenomena associated with life.

4. Growth: maintenance of a higher rate of anabolism than catabolism. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter.

5. Adaptation: the ability to change over time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of evolution and is determined by the organism's heredity, diet, and external factors.

6. Response to stimuli: a response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism to external chemicals, to complex reactions involving all the senses of multicellular organisms. A response is often expressed by motion; for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun (phototropism), and chemotaxis.

7. Reproduction: the ability to produce new individual organisms, either asexually from a single parent organism or sexually from two parent organisms.
Life - Wikipedia

To ignore these differences between living organisms and non-livine things is an exercise in deliberate ignorance.
Why did you ignore the part of not being an I, your targeting the claim and not the premise.

Grandliseur

This is well understood in science as with identical twins in humans. no problem. The genetics are exact copies and will continue the same as the original animal.

I did!

This is interesting, but the possible existence of the soul, based on this evidence has nothing to do with whether our universe is a hologram, artificial or not. Careful 'arguing from ignorance' to explain the unknown.

I believe in Creation and God Created our physical existence naturally by the scientific evidence. I also believe in the soul, but what you have cited so far is insufficient to claim the falsification of such beliefs.

Your argument is 'arguing from ignorance' that claims, because we cannot at present explain a phenomenon therefore . . .

Nonetheless this does not address the issue of holography and the nature of the universe, and the question as to whether our physical existence is an illusion.
I have no explanation for the video. What I do get from it though is that our universe is not a material universe, so to say. What it is - is up for grabs, in my book. You are right, this does not say anything about the universe being a holograph.

What I did think it shows is that all life and all objects down to the atomic level has a database location. I think if all things were in this way on a database, the quantum entanglement issue and this strange entanglement of the two copies of a starfish may be simply explained. Ideas, theories come from observation, only further study would invalidate or validate the idea.

Nous

Premium Member
Why did you ignore the part of not being an I, your targeting the claim and not the premise.
If you have an argument to make that concludes that life is an illusion, then make it. I've made my argument concluding that it is not. My argument is premised on several hardly disputable distinctions between living organisms and non-living objects.

And I continue to ask the question I've repeatedly asked here, with no response yet: If it were true that life is an illusion, then what dead thing is having this active illusion?