• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is learning Arabic fard for Islam?

strikeviperMKII

It would let you read the Qur'an, which would be helpful. There are english translations, but Muslims believe that they are not the actual Qur'an, just the one in Arabic.

Alulu

No, according to Sunni jurisprudence learning Arabic is not fardh al 'ayn (a individual responsibility of every mature Muslim) and therefore a Muslim not learning Arabic is not blameworthy from a Islamic point of view. It is obvious however that learning, or trying to master Arabic, is of course ideally very much encouraged. Because the Quran and all core religious books are written in Arabic. But not a individual responsibility on every Muslim or condition to be considered a pious Muslim. You can therefore perfectly practice and try to be a good Muslim without being able to understand Arabic, or learn it. Note as well that out of all Muslims worldwide not even 20% is Arab.

Learning, preserving and teaching the religion is according to Sunni jurisprudence fardh al kifaya. This means that it is a communal responsibility on the Muslims. So as long as there is at least one scholar studying and teaching the religion to fellow Muslims in several communities or countries as such (and therefore preserving it) this obligation is already fulfilled. And obviously studying the religion starts with mastering the Arabic language because the Quran is written in it. In practice this communal obligation to learn, preserve and teach the religion is always fulfilled because there are millions of Muslims from all countries studying the religion intensively and Arabic is of course a core subject in the religious curriculum. That's where it starts basically. Arabic grammar, verbs and building vocabulary to atleast understand texts properly.

Almost all Islamic jurisprudence is divided between "personal responsibility of every sane and mature Muslim" and "communal responsibility".

Last edited:

A-ManESL

I would like to share an incident about Imam Abu Hanifa's life.

Once, there was a sharp debate between two experts in Islamic law, Imam Abu Hanifa (a Persian) and Imam Shafii (an Arab and Quraysh). Imam Shafii argued that reading surah al-Fatihah in Arabic during prayer is obligatory and salat is not valid without it. While Abu Hanifa allowed reading surah al-Fatihah in Persian or other languages, Imam Abu Hanifa did not care whether mushally (the one who prays) speaks Arabic or not. Moreover, Imam Abu Hanifa, had allowed the Islamic prayer (reading al-Fatihah) in Persian.

This discussion on language was not limited to prayer, but also included Friday sermon. Shafii viewed that Friday sermon in language other than Arabic is not valid, while Abu Hanifah believed the opposite.

Imam Abu Hanifa considered the recitation of the namaz and also of the Khutba or sermon, lawful and valid in any language - Spirit of Islam

This incident gives us an idea of the degree of adjustment factor prevalent in Abu Hanifah's thinking, and in the Islam of that period. Such a discussion would be unthinkable today.

Last edited:

elmarna

While it is not a requiement - I can only encourage you because -- while the english translation exists it is (to me) lacking. English and arabic do not translate well. The U.S. Government has tried to make a computer program and have found it not able to be very accurate.
Arabic is a concept language. While english is not. If you are interested it is best to find someone native to it. I have a higher understanding when I did this! It made a difference in the way I am inspired by the Quran!

Alulu

I would kindly like to make a small note. Although Arabic (because the Quran is written in it) is important and moreover encouraged for all Muslims to learn it is not that if you do not master Arabic you can not understand the Quran. Sometimes this impression is given to Muslims and non-Muslims alike. As if you do not understand Arabic or bother to learn it you will never understand the Quran or Islam.

The broad message of the Quran, lessons it tries to convey, reminders etc is perfectly understandable without being able to read it in Arabic. Pick up any translation of a Quran, read it, try to understand it by heart and ponder over it and the core message is clear. There are many languages such as Urdu, Punjabi, Turkish, Indonesian and nowadays English as well where you can find a lot of books explaining the context and interpretations of the Quran.

Nevertheless, to get to the core of the Quran and have a deeper taste of it's secrets (so to say) you do have to try and learn Arabic obviously.

The example above of Abu Hanifa and reciting in a non-Arabic language is indeed an example of a discussion that nowadays among many Muslims would not be able to take place without being burdened as a "deviant". Sad, but true.