• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is law school worth it?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Well is it? I am loosely considering paralegal studies do to my simple fascination with it. I have a philosophies professor who is quite if not entirely reasonable and he is an ex-lawyer and informed me that lawschool is totally worth it unless you attend a high ranking law school since firms are bias in general. Does anybody have experience in this subject matter?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well is it? I am loosely considering paralegal studies do to my simple fascination with it. I have a philosophies professor who is quite if not entirely reasonable and he is an ex-lawyer and informed me that lawschool is totally worth it unless you attend a high ranking law school since firms are bias in general. Does anybody have experience in this subject matter?

Worth it how? In the $ department, or in the intrinsic department?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I have a couple of friends in it. They like the money, more than the intrinsic value. One has found more intrinsic value in setting up a legal aid charity. There is a lot of stress like defending the guilty, or making decisions that have huge impacts on people. Personally, I could have never done it. Not because I don't have the will, or the brains, but because the nature of it.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I have a couple of friends in it. They like the money, more than the intrinsic value. One has found more intrinsic value in setting up a legal aid charity. There is a lot of stress like defending the guilty, or making decisions that have huge impacts on people. Personally, I could have never done it. Not because I don't have the will, or the brains, but because the nature of it.

I am an extremely heartless person, I have no issues making sure the innocent suffer ;) but then again I am only interested in corporate law

Karl R

Well is it?
Are you just trying to become a paralegal?

I had a business contact who worked for a company that did headhunting in the legal field. They also placed temps (lawyers, legal secretaries, paralegals) and did temp-to-perm placements. It was her recommendation that paralegals get a paralegal certificate/degree from a paralegal school which was certified by the American Bar Association.

If you're just becoming a paralegal, I strongly suspect that law school will cost more than you will recover in extra pay. While law school will give you a far more thorough education, lawyers don't expect paralegals to understand the law that well.

I work in litigation support. While our team has a few members who went to law school, most have some sort of financial background (accounting, business, economics, finance). New employees learn the relevant aspects of the law on the job.

But it really depends what you want to do.