• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is laughter a cure-all ?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
(well, not all, but to most of our problems ?)

The present government here have - last year - reported that findings prepared by sociologists / psychologists to say that true happiness is worth much more than money.

Today, I saw this article from :-http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2835687.stm

French laugh away their troubles

By Hugh Schofield
In Paris

They have become the latest craze in Paris and other French cities.
Twenty-six have been set up in the last year - and thousands of people have taken part.
_38939073_laugh_203.jpg

Shrug off your troubles through laughter

They are called the "clubs de rire", where following the teachings of an Indian guru you can go to shrug off your troubles through the power of... laughter.
The gloomy state of the world today is proving a powerful recruiting sergeant.
The laughter may sound like the soundtrack to a Hieronymus Bosch depiction of the underworld, but the participants are a genial bunch in socks and slacks.
They have paid three euros a head to learn about techniques like the Lion Laugh, or the Chuckle Contest - and they say it really works. People who phone me say I don't love, I'm sad. I want to love, I want to forget my problems. I want to come to see you and try it
Jocelyne Le Moan
Laugh Club
"I love it, you know it's a kind of experience that really changed my life because I re-found my laugh," said one man.
"It's so relaxing, it's incredibly relaxing," said another. "At the end of a session you feel completely calm."

Unhappy world
A woman in the group agreed that the prospect of war and terrorism was adding to people's stress.
"There is something around here which is not very pleasant, so this kind of therapy is very good for that, and everybody should do it and smile a little bit more," she said.
Indeed the threat of war with Iraq, the ongoing fears of terrorism, the foul atmosphere between France and the United States have all boosted membership - according to Jocelyne Le Moan, a nurse who started this club a few months ago and now has constant enquiries from the public.
"The world is not very happy," she said.
"People who phone me say I don't love, I'm sad. I want to love, I want to forget my problems. I want to come to see you and try it."
'Embrace the fear'
The end of the session is when members lie on the ground and embark on what is called laughing meditation.
_38939075_laugh2_203.jpg

War fears have boosted the clubs' membership
They say it opens the spirit - makes them see the world in a more positive spirit - no bad thing, according to Anne Maurigiano, a regular, in the face of the all-pervasive sense of fear.
She said: "When you feel more confident of yourself, you can embrace better the fear that comes to you, and laughing is actually a way to feel more confident, so the more you laugh, the more you feel more calm and relaxed with your body and mind, so maybe you can be more open and be not scared.
A group hug-in at the end of the hour, and participants are ready to face another week of stress... some just cannot seem to stop though, and just as they are saying goodbye to each other - in a slightly manic fashion - the laughing suddenly starts all over again.

What do you all think ? Is therre a message here that we could all take on board ?

FatMan

As a person who has been a comedian and a joke writer, I think that laughter is a great medicine for the audiences that come to the shows, but for some strange reason many of my fellow comedians suffer from depression.

Also, the number of comedians who commit suicide is fairly high. A strange paradox that i'll never understand. Me - I'm very happy. But then again, I'm not that successful of a comedian:D

Buttercup

Veteran Member
michel said:
What do you all think ? Is therre a message here that we could all take on board ?
I agree with the premise that laughter is therapeutic for sure! And I wonder if laughter is an inate survival instinct as well?

Recently my husband and I have had several fairly serious problems come up within our families. Seems like after the intial..."oh this is terrible" conversations, we ended up in fits of giggles shortly thereafter. Perhaps we're just loony? But, it sure feels better afterward.

jacquie4000

We used to say If I don't laugh about it I'll cry. Better to laugh always makes it better even if just for awhile.

cardero

Citizen Mod
FatMan writes: As a person who has been a comedian and a joke writer, I think that laughter is a great medicine for the audiences that come to the shows, but for some strange reason many of my fellow comedians suffer from depression.
I would be very interested if you could elaborate on this.

FatMan writes:Also, the number of comedians who commit suicide is fairly high. A strange paradox that i'll never understand. Me - I'm very happy. But then again, I'm not that successful of a comedian:D
Also the comedians who eventually suffer and endure injuries for their craft and sacrifice their health for the sheer entertainment of others is very Christ-like. Jerry Lewis and Lou Costello both had sustained irreparable damage to their physical bodies from acting or achieving comedy through physical means.

FatMan

cardero said:
I would be very interested if you could elaborate on this.

Sam Kinison was a manic-depressive. Lenny Bruce had bouts of depression. Chris Farley and John Belushi were very dark people off the screen (and each made their mark in comedy first).

When I first came to Charlotte, there was a group a 5 really good comedians who hung out together and had some excellent material. I wrote for all of them so I was pretty close to them. 2 of them killed themselves and two others quit the business after trips to institutions. The last, Carrot Top continues to get work, but he too has had bouts with mental issues.

One of the finest young comedians in the past decade, Mitch Hedberg killed himself. And these are just the guys people here might know. It doesn't even count those who toil at a club in Peoria one night and in Wichita the next.

evearael

Laughter is a wonderful release for dealing with the stress and anxiety that well up from things that are beyond our control. It heals in the face of tragedy.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FatMan said:
Sam Kinison was a manic-depressive. Lenny Bruce had bouts of depression. Chris Farley and John Belushi were very dark people off the screen (and each made their mark in comedy first).

When I first came to Charlotte, there was a group a 5 really good comedians who hung out together and had some excellent material. I wrote for all of them so I was pretty close to them. 2 of them killed themselves and two others quit the business after trips to institutions. The last, Carrot Top continues to get work, but he too has had bouts with mental issues.

One of the finest young comedians in the past decade, Mitch Hedberg killed himself. And these are just the guys people here might know. It doesn't even count those who toil at a club in Peoria one night and in Wichita the next.

I was going to say that spike milligan suffered terribly from depression - he attempted suicide a number of times. Tony Hancock was a famous incredibly good commedian; he was an alcoholic and suffered from bad depression... I can't think of more at this time.......

FatMan

michel said:
I was going to say that spike milligan suffered terribly from depression - he attempted suicide a number of times. Tony Hancock was a famous incredibly good commedian; he was an alcoholic and suffered from bad depression... I can't think of more at this time.......

I think the depression and the alcoholism go hand in hand. Jim Carrey and Robin williams are good examples of this. There really are few funnymen out there with "happy" lives. Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn are a few, but only Sandler started out as a stand-up comedian, and Stiller grew up in a comedic family (Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara), so he knew the ropes. I know there are others, but in general the majority have pretty conflicting lives.

Ozzie

Maybe being funny all the time is a highly pressurised existence. Recently Robin Williams was reported to have gone into rehab after working on Happy Feet. I have never seen a more naturally spontaneous funny guy than Williams. Yet...

Despite this I believe laughter is a tremendous stress relieving mechanism that might help prevent depression etc. It might just be that taking a natural stress relief mechanism that occurs spontaneously and turning it into an unnatural way of earning a buck is stressful if attempted over long periods leading to depression/alcoholism etc.

With respect to these laughing therapies. I'm sure they're useful in the short term, but they would have to demonstrate a diminishing return over time is repeatedly pursued as therapy.

Booko

Deviled Hen
michel said:
(well, not all, but to most of our problems ?)

:biglaugh: Yes! :biglaugh:

Today, I saw this article from :-http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2835687.stm

French laugh away their troubles

I saw a 2 hour documentary on Ayurvedic healing methods a year or two ago (It's available on Netflix, if anyone's interested) and one segment was exactly about this topic. There are groups that just get together to laugh, and it's meant to improve their bodies' ability to heal.

There's a huge emotional component to diseases that Western medicine has mainly ignored (or worse).

Random

Laughter is cool, natural and divine: just don't be a smiling depressive, that's all. Feel real!

Booko

Deviled Hen
FatMan said:
As a person who has been a comedian and a joke writer, I think that laughter is a great medicine for the audiences that come to the shows, but for some strange reason many of my fellow comedians suffer from depression.

Maybe that's why they got interested in comedy -- as a mean of self-medication, as it were.

Have you ever observed that the "funny guy" in class is usually someone who's on the outside of society, maybe even bullied?

Lord knows I use humour as a defense mechanism. :)

Well, when you live in a FEMA Death Camp, I guess you have to do what you can. :biglaugh:

lunamoth

Will to love
Booko said:
Maybe that's why they got interested in comedy -- as a mean of self-medication, as it were.

Have you ever observed that the "funny guy" in class is usually someone who's on the outside of society, maybe even bullied?

Lord knows I use humour as a defense mechanism. :)

Well, when you live in a FEMA Death Camp, I guess you have to do what you can. :biglaugh:
Oh, the System *curse you System* will not let me frubal you again, but you are one funny bird.

OK, I will throw out there a totally baseless idea about which I really know nothing but have an opinion. :)

I think sharp wit is connected with intelligence and a keen observation of the human experience...and having that particular combination of insight and intelligence seems like it could mean you are constantly facing a kind of naked reality...seeing life more clearly than most of us do. To be constantly on...looking at humans and the situation of life...and putting it into words so close to the bone that we identify with it and laugh.

Eh, or maybe it's the drugs and nightlife.