• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is knowledge of God natural knowledge?

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
I just don’t like bullies.
It's an open debate forum. He is one of the most prolific posters on here. He can look after himself. He doesn't need your patronising help.

And I’d take Link’s honest confusion over your triumphant cynicism any day mate.
:tearsofjoy: Brilliant!
"He's completely wrong, but I'll vote for him because he seems nice".

KWED

Try the words without believing, see what happens. Give God a trial, see what happens. Try him.
What words?
I have taken part in religious ritual of various faiths. I have prayed. I have meditated. I have taken the shahada.
Nothing.

Now, why don't you try believing in the gods of other religions? See what happens. It could save your very soul!

RestlessSoul

It's an open debate forum. He is one of the most prolific posters on here. He can look after himself. He doesn't need your patronising help.

:tearsofjoy: Brilliant!
"He's completely wrong, but I'll vote for him because he seems nice".

There is kindness and humanity in his wrongness

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What words?
I have taken part in religious ritual of various faiths. I have prayed. I have meditated. I have taken the shahada.
Nothing.

Now, why don't you try believing in the gods of other religions? See what happens. It could save your very soul!

"I seek refuge in God by God's perfect words on earth (whoever or whatever they are) from the rebellious accursed one"

Let's see what happens.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Can you demonstrate any of the categorical statements that you make?
  • "God’s existence is something that is self proving" (Please provide the proof)
  • "We are born with knowledge of His existence" (Please show us the interview you had with a newborn who claims to have known of "His existence")
  • "It is intrinsic knowledge" (Explain how something can be "intrinsic knowledge" that a lot of people don't know)
  • "Attachment to suffering, ego, and material life clouds our vision." (What does any of that have to do with God?)
  • "Knowledge of God is something that can be obscured." (Then it is not, despite your earlier assertion, "intrinsic")
  • "God becomes clear when we detach ourselves from our ego; this is the process of discovering God." (Please explain how this works -- that when you cease to be "you," this same "you" discovers something else)
In my OP, I state that my claims are from divine texts, not my own thoughts. Our epistemology is different, as I accept the Bible as a valid means of attaining knowledge. So to demonstrate I simply point at the Bible.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I would like to discuss natural knowledge and the knowledge of God.
This is my understanding when I say “natural knowledge”. My Tibetan Book of the Dead, I Ching, Bible, and other religious texts have taught me that God’s existence is something that is self proving. We are born with knowledge of His existence; it in intrinsic knowledge. Attachment to suffering, ego, and material life clouds our vision. Knowledge of God is something that can be obscured.
God becomes clear when we detach ourselves from our ego; this is the process of discovering God.
Do theists agree that knowledge of God is natural knowledge? What do atheists think of this concept? Does it seem silly?
Well, for myself, I don't believe that any religious texts would indicate that God's existence was either self-proving or as coming from such texts - this latter being a rather circular approach. These texts being more likely the work of humans, and as such not having any more knowledge than we have now. In fact they would have had a lot less. I also don't believe we are born with such knowledge or that it could be intrinsic although we might have a propensity towards that which could explain the many things not so obvious to us, and history tends to support such - as to early religious and spiritual beliefs. It still seems to be factual that religions are mostly passed on by parents and/or culture.

Hence, such beliefs are readily taken up, particularly when they do have value for so many and do seem to enhance many communities. All the things mentioned as to human suffering and all the rest can be better explained by looking at our evolutionary path and what we bring from the past into our modern lives - and without religions having to explain this for us. We do still have much in our nature that is more primitive.

No doubt we could all benefit from some trimming of our natural human behaviour, and for some this might come from religion, but since many others (substantial portions in many countries) seem to manage without such beliefs, a lack of any religious belief is no impediment for these - and perhaps they benefit in other ways - like not likely to come into conflict with those of a different religious belief.

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So you want me try try believing in a god I know doesn't exist to see if that helps me believe.
And how do you suggest I do that?

That is actually the best way. The heart is the key, do you really want to know?

If not, I suggest you stay on your chosen path as the journey to find God is a journey in self discovery, and we find a lot that we need to change. It is a path that takes one away from comfort zones.

Regards Tony

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
All they have to do is seek refuge in God by God's Name(s) - the house that God has permitted to be exalted and purified in people's eyes in this time. It's simple, how easy, it is to beat Iblis forces. But if people don't want the light and hate it, nothing God can really do, he won't force them to it.

That is indeed the challenge Link, we can ask has Allah given a Message since Muhammed? I see that is the challenge the world now faces and is being shaped by in this age!

I wish you well and happy in your choices.

All the best with your book writing.

Regards Tony

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do theists agree that knowledge of God is natural knowledge? What do atheists think of this concept?

Knowledge of God is acquired. It is taught. In many religions, you learn it from a book or from others who learned it from the book.

I like Dawkins' formulation for the prevalence of religion in human cultures. Man didn't evolve to believe in gods or religions. He evolved to coopt traits that evolved into mankind for other reasons.

He gives the examples of moths flying into flames. If you ask what evolutionary purpose that behavior serves because it is so prevalent in moth populations, perhaps universal, Dawkins will tell you that you are asking the wrong question:

What is the Darwinian survival value of religion? That’s not the right question, says Richard Dawkins. To find the right question, he relies on an evolutionary analogy: Why do moths fly into flames? It means instant death, so what’s the evolutionary value of this kamikaze behavior? Dawkins delivers a crash course in proximate and ultimate causality, two very important distinctions in biology. Moths evolved to navigate using celestial objects as compasses. The moon and the stars emit parallel light, a very reliable and consistent beam, meaning a moth can fly in a straight line guided by that light. Candle light is an entirely different source that emits light in a spiral… leading straight to the hottest part of the flame. These moths aren’t suicidal, says Dawkins, it’s a misfiring of an evolutionary trait because of a modern technology in their environment. “The right question is not, ‘What’s the survival value of a suicidal behavior in moths?'” he says, “The right question is, ‘What is the survival value of having the kind of physiology which, under some circumstances, leads you to fly into a flames?'”​

Religious activity, by this reckoning, is post-linguistic man co-opting instincts that evolved for other reasons, such as the tendency of many mammals to assign agency to rustling leaves, for example, because to make a type 1 error could be lethal. Better to run from a noise that wasn't a threat than not to run from one that is. Also, children are born with a propensity to obey authority figures also due to evolution for the same reason. Obedient children are more likely to survive than ones who don't take the advice of parents and other elders.

Then, eventually, man develops language, and the priestly class co-opts these evolved instinct by telling the people that the activity of the world is due to a conscious agent who should be obeyed, and they have been programmed by evolution to hear and believe it.

Religion, Dawkins proposes, offers no more benefit to man than flying into flames and bulbs does for the moth. It is an expensive practice, consuming inordinate resources, for little apparent benefit except to the priestly class. Because of religion, people spend hours idly in church. They used to sacrifice animals and people. They spend hours praying to a God that probably isn't there and reading words that have little value if the central premise upon which they are based is false.

So, by this reckoning, the prevalence of religion in human societies is not because religion offers some evolutionary advantage, but because man had learned to exploit man and his innate proclivities unrelated to religion.

It's a little bit of a digression, but consider the advent of the Sabbath and the cost to humankind because of it. I assume that once upon a time, it was expected that all able-bodied people work every day, whether that was herding, farming, fishing, or whatever. It would have been considered antisocial not to.

Then this priestly class and organized arise. They needed the faithful to periodically come to them with money and for indoctrination, and this meant walking or taking a cart or horse or camel each way, and staying and listening for hours, which meant taking a day away from work on a regular basis. How do the priests convince the people that NOT taking that day off is godly, while working is sinning, but just on that one day.

I think you can see where this is going. The first step was updating the then oral creation story. The week of creation was invented, six for working, and one for rest. And with it, the work week and the weekend. Did it never seem odd to anybody that a God would need six days to complete his work, and then another to rest.

Why the week? Natural cycles like days, months, and years are all either to frequent or too infrequent, so a new cycle of time was created that didn't match any astronomical cycle. This is probably how and why Judaism and later Christianity came up a Commandment to respect the Sabbath by taking every seventh day off for religious activities.

I mention this here because of the enormous cost to society to have an idle priestly class supported by people who are forced to be less productive one day in seven. Who benefits from that? Why would people agree to this? Because their instincts to conform and submit to authority figures compels them to, not because it is of any value to anybody except the priests who avoid labor and the heat of the day.

Planets maintaining their rotations, earth maintain it's rotation, sun maintaining, all this is signs. But people are so far gone in "science" authority, they can't see it.

The regularity of the cosmos is what we would expect in a godless universe stable enough for life and mind to form naturalistically. Consider a car driven by a human being and one going over a cliff. The car may speed and slow a little, and veer slightly left and right requiring correction from the driver. The second one will follow a predictable, mathematical path. That's the way the universe works, too. Orbits are entirely predictable and representable with simple mathematics. Mars doesn't wobble in its orbit or slow and speed randomly like the driven car. It's path is more like the one going over a cliff.

The proclamations of science have proven useful. None of them need a god. Religion has added nothing to that understanding. Au contraire. The Christian Bible got it all wrong. Biblical cosmology depicts a flat and stationary earth, a sun orbiting it that can be stopped, and a literal canopy of embedded stars through which rain leaks - the snow globe model. Why wouldn't we consider science the authority wherever religion contradicts it?

Forums are not a place of guidance, whether attaining it or giving it.

You're not going to be giving skeptics guidance (I'm assuming you mean religious guidance) because all you have to offer are unsubstantiated claims, which they disregard. Nor will you accept guidance from them, because they have nothing to offer you but reasoned, evidenced arguments, which cannot penetrate faith-based belief.

A watch also we know is designed for other then it's complexity but the type of material

What's interesting to me about this teleological argument for God is that the somebody walking along passes all of the shrubs or trees or pebbles without thinking they were intelligently designed, then comes across something that is, and immediately recognized that this thing is different from the natural objects around him. It's actually more of an argument that intelligently designed things and natural objects are different enough that the walker can instantly identify the lone intelligently designed object he encounters and distinguish it from everything else. It's different. So why generalize what is true for the one to everything else that didn't evoke this reaction?

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Natural in the eyes of God.

Eyes said science Ra suns light. The eye concept. Reality life is still alive as light still exists.

Notice man's modern no light mass thesis to want to convert a no light mass.

God on earth asleep is not dark non alight mass. Man's thesis says God is everything as the God scientist. Earth is not alight either.

In life seeing whole forms is one. Seeing vision secondary is psychic.

As bio human. No man is God advice reasoned.

Man compared himself to being owner mass. God is one. O.

Planet one earth natural supports all life living on it equally. Not owned by man.

O one planet self owned.
One heavens self owned.

Human a single self X two side by side human.

Man wanted to invent create but was destroying.

Placed machine at his side instead.

Man never treated the female equal since even religious order places her serving the male.

Satanist claim you serve Satan the master.

Man's ego.

Female gained all visionary warning man is destroying man's DNA. As I was at his side first. Natural and human aware.

So I state a tree is a Tree. You named it. A tree never said please name me a tree otherwise you would say a tree talked.

Man of god thesis. A tree is not oxygen first. A tree is the tree.

Man discussed the tree as an oxygen creator.

I see whole naturally in balances. Balance to see whole one forms natural only.

Man magnifies all he looks at by machine into imbalanced viewing. Was not meant to be seen.

Man says I am God. Says he wants God defined especial to his self a man. Man's destroys his life DNA by you by claiming I am God.

As God as his thesis is not man.

Yet if you pretend you are God you want man self to be the resource.

Mind defect as theist the destroyer conscious warning. Bible described man theist and thesis was against natural.

Father and babies lived first as family before emerging changing developed DNA returned. Between non science man to historic man. The ego evolved scientist theist.

Conscious theory scientist wisdom from self developed consciousness claimed self was safe. By inferring natural man DNA developed history.

Father was already deceased all you owned in natural presence with reaction was the natural man.

Why I can claim science is a liar as you told me brother.

Suave

Simulated character
I would like to discuss natural knowledge and the knowledge of God.
This is my understanding when I say “natural knowledge”. My Tibetan Book of the Dead, I Ching, Bible, and other religious texts have taught me that God’s existence is something that is self proving. We are born with knowledge of His existence; it in intrinsic knowledge. Attachment to suffering, ego, and material life clouds our vision. Knowledge of God is something that can be obscured.
God becomes clear when we detach ourselves from our ego; this is the process of discovering God.
Do theists agree that knowledge of God is natural knowledge? What do atheists think of this concept? Does it seem silly?
Please allow me to disagree with the notion of me having been born with any knowledge about God. I've learned that God is very likely a sims controller, a reality-based virtual-world programmer of human consciousness.

Pig brains have been kept alive for over 36 hours after the death of the pig's bodies. What if human brains could also be kept alive after the death of the bodies from where they were embodied? What if disembodied minds could be interfaced with power computers connecting disembodied minds to virtual reality worlds? Then who is to say each of us aren't one of these disembodied minds interfaced with a powerful computer by a controller simulating our realities, this being God.

I concur with Nick Bostrom's reasoning why we are very likely living in a simulated reality.

Bostrom argues that at least ONE of the following propositions must be true:

(1) The human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage.

(2) Any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof).

(3) We are almost certainly living in a computer simulation.

Since there is a significant chance that a future generation of technologically advanced post-humans will run ancestor-simulations by powerful computers, then we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation.

Indications we might be living in a simulated reality:

1. A particle passing through a double-slit behaves as a wave causing an interference pattern when unobserved, but this same particle doesn't create an interference pattern when its path of travel can be determined by an observer. This collapse of the wave-function could be happening in order to save computational resources necessary for our simulated reality.

2. This mark of intelligence left in our genetic coding might be indicative of an intelligent designer, who may be responsible for the simulation of our reality. Our genetic code's creator has left this mathematical pattern in our genetic code conveying to me the symbol of an Egyptian triangle as well as the number 37 embedded in our genetic code.
Eight of the canonical amino acids can be sufficiently defined by the composition of their codon's first and second base nucleotides. The nucleon sum of these amino acids' side chains is 333 (=37 * 3 squared), the sun of their block nucleons (basic core structure) is 592 (=37 * 4 squared), and the sum of their total nucleons is 925 (=37 * 5 squared ). With 37 factored out, this results in 3 squared + 4 squared + 5 squared, which is representative of an Egyptian triangle.
I would not expect there to be a mathematical depiction of an Egyptian triangle stored within genetic coding if it were a naturally occurring phenomenon. The mathematical pattern of the number 37 being used as a key factor for conveying an Egyptian triangle might related to the gematria value of 37 appearing in the Hebrew language of Genesis 1:1.

genesis%2B11%2Bvalues.png

3. Theoretical physicist Dr. S. James Gates Jr. claims that a certain string theory, super-symmetrical equations describing the nature and reality of our universe, contains embedded computer codes; these codes have digital data in the form of 0's and 1's identical to what makes web browsers function, and they're error-correct codes.

In conclusion, with the wave-function collapsing in order to conserve computational power of a simulator device, a semantic message in genetic coding, and the computer coding found buried deep within the mathematical equations of super symmetry., seems to me like we are living in a simulation.

KWED

That is actually the best way. The heart is the key, do you really want to know?

If not, I suggest you stay on your chosen path as the journey to find God is a journey in self discovery, and we find a lot that we need to change. It is a path that takes one away from comfort zones.
Not a lot of information in there.
Could you persuade yourself to believe something you know is not true? If so, how?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Could you persuade yourself to believe something you know is not true? If so, how?

Well, as a skeptic I don't believe in knowledge or truth in the standard sense, so I do a lot of behavior I don't know if that is true.

KWED

"I seek refuge in God by God's perfect words on earth (whoever or whatever they are) from the rebellious accursed one"

Let's see what happens.
Said them. Nothing happened. No revelation. No belief.
Although it did stop raining and the sun came out, but only over my house. Oh yeah, and all them angels and stuff.

KWED

Here is a start for you.

Quran - The Noble Quran

Bible - KING JAMES BIBLE ONLINE

Bahai Writings - https://www.bahai.org/library/

Buddhist - https://bdkamerica.org/tripitaka-list/

There are more, but there is many lifetimes of study, just in those links.

Regards Tony
*sigh*
I have read much of that. It all reads exactly as one would expect it to read as the product of ordinary humans of their time and place.

As you believe there is something special about those words, would you explain what, exactly, with references? Thanks.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Why would one do that? I suggest that would be the wrong way to do it.

If you know and are happy nothing else is needed, then stick with what you know.

I will offer that I have found in life, that life does and will give us the opportunities to think outside of our own safety bubbles.

Regards Tony

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
*sigh*
I have read much of that. It all reads exactly as one would expect it to read as the product of ordinary humans of their time and place.

As you believe there is something special about those words, would you explain what, exactly, with references? Thanks.

Yeah. There is no evidence of that, but there is evidence they can believe anyway. So in fact, religion is a fact for how the world works in part. I get that they are normatively wrong for your norms for evidence, but they are at least no factual wrong in some cases.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

There is a book that condenses the essence of all those books into around 150 short meditations, so maybe that will be best to offer.

Those meditations tell us the purpose of faith in God.

https://www.bahai.org/library/authoritative-texts/bahaullah/hidden-words/

This is the introduction;

"THIS is that which hath descended from the realm of glory, uttered by the tongue of power and might, and revealed unto the Prophets of old. We have taken the inner essence thereof and clothed it in the garment of brevity, as a token of grace unto the righteous, that they may stand faithful unto the Covenant of God, may fulfill in their lives His trust, and in the realm of spirit obtain the gem of divine virtue."
(The Hidden Words)
www.bahai.org/r/642922139

regards Tony