• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus the Jewish Messiah or not?

roger1440

I do stuff
Your point? I believe that the sentence quoted by me is little more than an ignorant and underwhelming fabrication. He should feel free to prove me wrong. Similarly, you should feel free to help her.
After reading your comment to her I was thinking the same thing, Who? What? Where?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
For Christians laughing my face about different groups writing the bible, what groups? Here is just qoute from Wiki and there are others.
Which Christians are laughing at you?

The Publisher Weekly, refers to this book as disputing the conventional wisdom that Dead Sea Scrolls related to the communal sect of the Essenes, and that their presumed monastery is actually a Jewish fortress. It also refers to Golb's belief that the "scrolls and related fragmentary manuscripts embody a wide spectrum of doctrines, genres and themes, from a Hebrew hymn by a Jewish nationalist poet to an apocalyptic brotherhood initiation to an inventory of documents stashed away in the Judaean wilderness.
You clearly have no clue about what is being addressed here.

Riders

Ok here the paragraph, it says different individuals from different groups wrote the bible, that means different groups are represented in the bible.

Craig W. Beard, of the University of Alabama Library, writes in its review that appeared in Library Journal that "Contrary to scholarly consensus, Golb contends that, rather than being the product of sectarian scribes, the Dead Sea Scrolls were the work of individuals from many diverse groups and that they were deposited in the caves near the Dead Sea (among other locations) by Jews fleeing the Roman army during the First Revolt" and that although the book is based in historical, archaeological, and paleographical evidence, "he also lets readers in on his personal efforts to question and oppose the scholarly status quo, leaving the impression of being self-serving."[7

If this isnt right ,Yall are criticizing me for saying different people rote the bible instead of one? OK who is the one person wrote the old and new testament? God doesn't count.

It says different people from different groups which goes against the idea of Christians being one group.

roger1440

I do stuff
Ok here the paragraph, it says different individuals from different groups wrote the bible, that means different groups are represented in the bible.

Craig W. Beard, of the University of Alabama Library, writes in its review that appeared in Library Journal that "Contrary to scholarly consensus, Golb contends that, rather than being the product of sectarian scribes, the Dead Sea Scrolls were the work of individuals from many diverse groups and that they were deposited in the caves near the Dead Sea (among other locations) by Jews fleeing the Roman army during the First Revolt" and that although the book is based in historical, archaeological, and paleographical evidence, "he also lets readers in on his personal efforts to question and oppose the scholarly status quo, leaving the impression of being self-serving."[7

If this isnt right ,Yall are criticizing me for saying different people rote the bible instead of one? OK who is the one person wrote the old and new testament? God doesn't count.

It says different people from different groups which goes against the idea of Christians being one group.
The best way I can think of answering your many questions is to point to the answer. If I were you I would invest in a good Study Bible. The price would probably range between $30 to $50.

Baroodi

That is right. Jesus, the mesaih was sent as a messenger to the Jews only according to the Quran ( and a messenger to the progeny of Israel) 2:49

rosends

I have read where groups that helped write the bible some ere groups who believed Jesus as the Jewish Messiah only for Jews.

Truth is Christians will deny this. But here are the facts. Raised as a Baptist, I know Christians raised me to believe he was the Jewish Messiah, the reason being is because Christians use the old testaments prophecy of the Jewish Messiah to say this is he one, he was the Called Jewish Messiah.

If that's so, we have to turn to the Jewish beliefs to find out what they believe about the Messiah. You cant have it both ways, If Jesus is the Messiah of the old Testament he has to pass the Jewish test.

Now do Jews believe that their Messiah came to save the whole world all religions, then instead of converting to Judaism claiming Jesus as Jewish Messiah, they believe the Messiah meant them to be converted to the Christian church?

Was the Messiah of the Old testament meant to be Messiah for the Jews or not? If so Christians are wrong, because stands for the world and came to die for the world.

I have another question for Christians. If Jesus wasn't here to just save Jewish and Jewish Messiah but Messiah that saves the whole world why didn't he do with all the religions of the time like he did with Jews, become their Messiah save them and take over their religion like Christians did. Christians always say we have Jewish roots, were Jewish why? That doesn't make sense unless Jesus was only here to set the Jewish folks free.

I'm not Jewish I don't need the Jewish gospel. Isn't possible that the other Messiahs of religions at the time, Buddha, Krishna, Gods of Egypt, could have really been Jesus, just God expressing to the world in their own culture and language by sending the Messiah to them?

I used my spell check so don't try to criticize me spelling unless your willing to provide a list of words that I didn't spell right.
No, he wasn't.
Hope that helps.

Riders

That is right. Jesus, the mesaih was sent as a messenger to the Jews only according to the Quran ( and a messenger to the progeny of Israel) 2:49

Thankyou for your reply. I believe Jewish and Muslim folks gave a better grip on this.

roger1440

I do stuff
Before asking if Jesus is the Messiah it is best to start with what is the Messiah. Once that is established then you can ask did Jesus fulfill the expectations of the Messiah. If there is no agreement on what is the Messiah is then there is no way to discuss if Jesus fits the bill.

quote-if-you-wish-to-converse-with-me-define-your-terms-voltaire-130-86-65.jpg

The following is something I had posted about a year ago:
“When will the Messiah come?” Soon. “What will he do?” A little of this, a little of that.

Am I vague? The prophecies themselves are vague. You won’t even find the concept of the Messiah in one nice little paragraph, chapter or book in Jewish scripture. It is found by piecing together verses written by different people at different times at different locations found in different books using different writing styles. Once all the verses are lumped together the reader then has the tedious task of figuring out what they mean. Many of the verses use metaphors and symbols, other verses are to be taken literal. How is one to decide how to interpret each verse?

Example:

“Rejoice greatly, Daughter Zion! Shout, Daughter Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and victorious, lowly and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.” (Zechariah 9:9)

Should this verse be taken literal or as a symbol? As a symbol it could mean the Messiah enters Jerusalem with humility.

The author of Matthew interprets this verse literal. Not only literal, but Jesus enters Jerusalem on TWO donkeys.

They brought the donkey and the colt and placed their cloaks on them for Jesus to sit on. (Matthew 21:7)

When will the Messiah come? What will He do?

roger1440

I do stuff
If we can agree that the messianic prophecies contain both literal and symbolic verses and the gospels were written by Jews who used these same messianic prophecies as building blocks for the gospels, it would stand to reason that the gospels might also contain both literal and symbolic verses. If the gospels do contain both literal and symbolic verses we would have to be able to differentiate between the two. Once this is done it would shed light on the message of the gospels. Once there is an agreement on what the gospels mean and what the messianic prophecies mean, it is then and only then we can decide if the messianic prophecies are in agreement in what the gospels mean. This is no easy task.

Riders

No, he wasn't the Jewish messiah.

Whether or not he is the messiah for Christians is for them to say.

wHAAAAA IM not allowed to have an opinion and express it OMG.Soits eviland against the law to have freedom of speech eh? Well this is a debate room.

If Christians don't want to hear debates about christianity they need to stay out of debate rooms.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
wHAAAAA IM not allowed to have an opinion and express it OMG.Soits eviland against the law to have freedom of speech eh? Well this is a debate room.

If Christians don't want to hear debates about christianity they need to stay out of debate rooms.
What the **** are you ranting about?

First of all, I'm a Jew and not a Christian.
Second, I posted an answer to a question YOU asked.
Third, I didn't say anything about your opinon on anything.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה

Might I suggest a prune danish and nice cup of hot tea? It can't hurt and it might help calm you down, because I'm not sure why you snapped at Tarheeler. Despite his self-designated description of "Argumentative Curmudgeon", he is usually neither argumentative nor a curmudgeon. And here he gave you a straightforward answer to the question you posed.

Riders

What the **** are you ranting about?

First of all, I'm a Jew and not a Christian.
Second, I posted an answer to a question YOU asked.
Third, I didn't say anything about your opinon on anything.

I apologize your ight I'm wrong.i was sick last night and I didn't see the first part of your post till later.I apologize please forgive me.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm not sure why you're asking this because of course Christians will say that He is the Messiah, sent for all people. Of course Jews will say otherwise. What Jews say about it is really immaterial from a Christian point of view since Rabbinic Judaism stems from Phariseeism and the Pharisees obviously didn't like Christ. But the Pharisees were just one sect of Judaism around during the time of Jesus.

roger1440

I do stuff

It seems much of what you know about the Dead Sea Scrolls is coming from Wikipedia. Wikipedia can be informative but at the same time boring to read. If you get bored then you will soon lose interest and learn very little. A good alternative is a well put together documentary. Here is a documentary put together by National Geographic.
Decoding the Dead Sea Scrolls

Just this month a new Dead Sea Scroll cave had been discovered.
New Dead Sea Scrolls cave discovered - CNN Video